The Official Mead Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

That's not horrible.... and it seems like they are trying to rush everything out before it gets too hot. Someone said there is only one more bottle in this round of MC.
Considering Superstition bottles sit out here for $80 a pop I don’t feel bad at all. Pretty sure I got to speak with Naegerbomb on the phone too which was pretty cool.

I assume that if Schramms now ships to your state, you no longer need a trustee for Mazer Club purchases right?

Naegerbomb ?
There are plenty of reasons to continue to use a trustee, e.g. to have them pick up your bottle and wait with it in good storage conditions until a full case is assembled, etc. Also, some folks ask their trustees to pick up and add other things to their shipments, e.g. local beers, traded stuff, etc. All services that we can't provide — but I'm hoping to take some heavy lifting off of our trustees that primarily ship "to order" and don't do much else except act as a simple proxy. TBH, with the direct shipping program I was actually surprised to hear from many of the first shipping customers that they barely knew their trustees — so maybe there's a grain of truth in your statement, I don't know. Certainly I won't be shipping to Florida by ground in July (something I've already heard from some trustees that they WILL do with our product, which is dismaying). Direct shipping from us is always going to come with a personal guarantee from yours truly, and we'll apply the same high quality standards to the order/shipping process as we do with the mead itself. At the end of the day, if you have a trustee and you're in a state that we ship to my hope is that you'll have the best of both worlds and have many options to choose from.

Recently got into mead, absolutely obsessed.

Can anyone tell me why Pips is so expensive ( atleast resale).

I have found posts indicating some bottles retail at 35 - 80 dollars, but when are sold, they are going for 200 - 250.

I can come across Schramms or garagiste for far cheaper than that on resale, so why is pips the most expensive mead?

Recently got into mead, absolutely obsessed.

Can anyone tell me why Pips is so expensive ( atleast resale).

I have found posts indicating some bottles retail at 35 - 80 dollars, but when are sold, they are going for 200 - 250.

I can come across Schramms or garagiste for far cheaper than that on resale, so why is pips the most expensive mead?
Here's a few of the factors.

1) Pips is arguably the most popular/hottest/most desired meadery at the moment.
2) At this point Pips production is extremely small compared to Schramm's, Superstition, etc. Most bottlings are only a few hundred bottles. Most releases are 1pp, or sometimes 2-3pp for their top tier membership.
3) Pips does not distribute
4) Pips does not typically even have public sale of most of their bottles. The majority of Pips bottle (guessing 90%) are purchased by their club members. The 10% or so that does get sold to the public often requires lining up hours before the release. Sometimes even the night before
5) Because let's say a few hundred people own 90% of the supply, they can shift the market.
6) Most of Pips' meads nail exactly what the modern craft beer drinker wants these days. Big, bold, sweet, fruited, lots of barrel aged and adjunct laden, etc.
7) Arguably most important, it's just really damn tasty mead.

Latest posts