US - Pacific The San Diego area thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

I don't recall it tasting the same any year I have had it. Past 2 years it was a tad sweeter that I would have wanted it. Figure I will try this year in a week or so. Might get lucky and walk in to O'Brien's the night of the keg they put on quietly. Otherwise I will do the EAH keg once they post when it is going on.

I don't recall it tasting the same any year I have had it. Past 2 years it was a tad sweeter that I would have wanted it. Figure I will try this year in a week or so. Might get lucky and walk in to O'Brien's the night of the keg they put on quietly. Otherwise I will do the EAH keg once they post when it is going on.
Last year was the best I remember in recent memory - not all that sweet, with enough grassy tones and a dry finish that was pleasing to the palate.

The year before that was kind of a hot mess though, but IIRC, that was the first batch they made at Windsor, so that's somewhat excusable.

Xul

I feel like I've said this several times over the past year, but the current batch of Hop-Fu! might legitimately be the best yet. NPBC's hype has shot through the roof with the Before Dying series - with good reason, as those are phenomenal beers - but I continue to be impressed with how hard they're crushing it across virtually every style they brew, most of which are considerably less sexy than pastry stouts.

I feel like I've said this several times over the past year, but the current batch of Hop-Fu! might legitimately be the best yet. NPBC's hype has shot through the roof with the Before Dying series - with good reason, as those are phenomenal beers - but I continue to be impressed with how hard they're crushing it across virtually every style they brew, most of which are considerably less sexy than pastry stouts.
Grandmaster Fu is fantastic as well, and I’ve been drinking a lot of Burlingame lately.

Had to run the dog to a vet appointment in Encinitas yesterday and conveniently EAH was pre-selling cards for Younger pours this weekend to their 80in80 members. So I will have my younger pour up there this sunday. Yay! (...I guess) Almost feels like a hassle nowadays than something fun to seek out. Perhaps this is the start on my transition to becoming a curmudgeon.

Disclaimer: I don’t know you outside of your posts here. But, hasn’t the transition been completed already?:p
Ah hahahaha. I would like to think so, but I still chase beers on occasion like #newmoney instead of just sitting back and enjoying a solid pilsner. So, hopefully soon I will fully make that transition, but I got a lot of beers to consume beforehand.

And we have never met? That seems weird. I could have sworn I have met everybody that posts in this thread.

Had to run the dog to a vet appointment in Encinitas yesterday and conveniently EAH was pre-selling cards for Younger pours this weekend to their 80in80 members. So I will have my younger pour up there this sunday. Yay! (...I guess) Almost feels like a hassle nowadays than something fun to seek out. Perhaps this is the start on my transition to becoming a curmudgeon.
Toronado's Younger tapping yesterday was most definitely a hassle. Two lines somehow became one, and when the line started curling outside, they stopped letting people in - even though the far register only had about five people in line. Door guy cited "capacity issues," but there was plenty of open space to walk around, and there was probably only like ten people out in the patio. Besides, I can't count how many times I've been shoulder to shoulder at that place and no one's given a shit. Twas certainly one of those signature Toronado shitshows that I may miss when it goes away.

This year's batch of Younger was great, btw. Great balance of sweet and grassy notes - not overly malty nor overly hoppy, a perfect medium. It hid the booze exceptionally well, better than previous batches I can remember.

Group Builder