US - Pacific The San Diego area thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Hey fellas, never been to California before but visiting from Ontario, Canada TOMORROW (Saturday, Feb 15) through Saturday (Feb 22) and staying in Oceanside, with day trips planned for Legoland and San Diego Zoo (needless to say, I'm a dad). I'd really appreciate if someone could take a minute or two to plink out a short and sweet answer for me on:

1. The BOTTLE SHOP(S) where I should pick up my week's supply of beer (Oceanside/Carlsbad area preferred as I can't guarantee I'll have the ability to pick up in San Diego, though a San Diego recommendation would also be appreciated).
2. Best BARS (preferably within a short drive of Oceanside/Carlsbad).
3. Best BREWERIES (Oceanside/Carlsbad region).
4. Best BEER DAY TRIP if I were to drive somewhere within an hour or so in order to hit a cluster of great breweries/bars/etc.

Bonus points for must-visit restaurants in Oceanside/Carlsbad.

Thanks in advance! Cannot wait for this trip.

Mike

Hey fellas, never been to California before but visiting from Ontario, Canada TOMORROW (Saturday, Feb 15) through Saturday (Feb 22) and staying in Oceanside, with day trips planned for Legoland and San Diego Zoo (needless to say, I'm a dad). I'd really appreciate if someone could take a minute or two to plink out a short and sweet answer for me on:

1. The BOTTLE SHOP(S) where I should pick up my week's supply of beer (Oceanside/Carlsbad area preferred as I can't guarantee I'll have the ability to pick up in San Diego, though a San Diego recommendation would also be appreciated).
4. Best BEER DAY TRIP if I were to drive somewhere within an hour or so in order to hit a cluster of great breweries/bars/etc.

Mike
This’ll help with some of your questions: https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/san-diego-visitors-guide.2069/

(I live much further south though so I’m not personally qualified to give anything more specific than what I’ve typed in there.)

Mike
Eat at Wrench & Rodent, Campfire, Jeune Et Joliet (something like that) to get the merit badges for carlsbad/oceanside eateries. Sage really does have the best guide. Hit burgeon beer, pizza port bressi ranch, and eppig’s new location.

Spend a day further south at toronado/modern times/tiger tiger/cantina mayahuel/fall brewing/Hamilton’s/north park beer company/el comal and you’ll be good for beer and food. Easy to hit those places right after the zoo too. Oh and snag a 32oz hydroflask at Whole Foods, get it filled at north park beer company or Eppig and take that into the zoo

Sage and pugsandsuds Thanks for the great tips, guys! Thought of one more great question which I think is well suited to this thread:

What will be the best bottles/cans to pick up this week? Any exciting new releases coming up in the coming days or recently out? And what are the tried and true favourites out there - in my neck of the woods, for example, you’d be told to load up on Michigan’s Old Nation M43.

Though New England IPAs are the favourite of our group, a few good barrel aged stouts are also a must (and sours for me personally).

Thanks again. Happy to report back on the trip if anyone’s interested.

g
Sage and pugsandsuds Thanks for the great tips, guys! Thought of one more great question which I think is well suited to this thread:

What will be the best bottles/cans to pick up this week? Any exciting new releases coming up in the coming days or recently out? And what are the tried and true favourites out there - in my neck of the woods, for example, you’d be told to load up on Michigan’s Old Nation M43.

Though New England IPAs are the favourite of our group, a few good barrel aged stouts are also a must (and sours for me personally).

Thanks again. Happy to report back on the trip if anyone’s interested.
Modern Times Encinitas has a great selection as there are some new Hazies (DDH Dinosaur World/Finally Open in LA) plus tons of other options. The Tap list is great (http://www.moderntimesbeer.com/tasting-room/encinitas). Honestly this plus either Pizza Port Carlsbad or Pizza Port Bressi Ranch to cover WCIPA's is really all you need. For bottles, I would go down to Bottlecraft Solana Beach, as they have a great selection (including 3F) and also a great tap list (https://www.bottlecraft.com/pages/solana-beach)

Had a torturous one minute wait for Younger at Stone last night. Have to agree with what a few of you said, it's certainly a great year for it.
Did it kick yesterday? Had it at Bressi on Friday and agree that it was awesome. Did caught in a rip that afternoon and PtY earlier didn’t let that beer shine. Had a can over the weekend and loved it though so on its own it’s fantastic as always. Just don’t compare it to the OG.

There is another keg going on this sunday at EAH. Requires pre-purchased tickets to get a pour and then will be ticketless the following monday (typically about 1/4 of the keg is left by this point).

Did it kick yesterday? Had it at Bressi on Friday and agree that it was awesome. Did caught in a rip that afternoon and PtY earlier didn’t let that beer shine. Had a can over the weekend and loved it though so on its own it’s fantastic as always. Just don’t compare it to the OG.
I don't know but I can ask Joe. I do know they had three kegs going and one kicked while I was there.

I feel like there is still a hardcore group of Younger drinkers who chase it around. I got two pours and I'm good for the year. I would rather try the competition at this point.
Make sure and get some rip current. I really enjoyed both the draft pour and the can. Not Pliny but certainly a beer that can hold its own.

Latest posts

Group Builder