US - Pacific The San Diego area thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

And AleSmith laying off like 80 percent of employees, and Karl Strauss laying off over 500 people. Grim times in the industry for sure.
Honestly hoping this is just so the employees can collect unemployment, but the realist in me knows better than that.

MT April sale email paints a pretty grim picture to put it lightly. Funny how easy it is to forget about places. Didn’t even think about Karl.
Yikes, didn't even read that email until now. They were one of the breweries that just seemed to be printing money too, with how many locations they were opening up left and right.

Honestly hoping this is just so the employees can collect unemployment, but the realist in me knows better than that.

Yikes, didn't even read that email until now. They were one of the breweries that just seemed to be printing money too, with how many locations they were opening up left and right.
I always felt MT was expanding way too rapidly. Like seriously, how many fucking locations do you need?

I always felt MT was expanding way too rapidly. Like seriously, how many fucking locations do you need?
I've thought that, too. Over-expansion has killed a lot of companies. Hopefully their worst case is shuttering some places but at least staying in business.

Xul

Anaheim is probably a money pit right now.
This is a massive factor. Jacob did an AMA in the League FB group over the weekend and, when asked whether this event will change his thinking on cash-on-hand/black swan events, said "If Anaheim had opened on its original timeline, we wouldn’t be having this conversation." There are a ton of aspects to the situation, and the rate of expansion is certainly a risk factor, but that's exacerbated by the fact that this particular black swan event basically killed draft/on-premise business overnight. Oakland was absolutely crushing it for them since opening, so the investment in expansion was paying off until it wasn't. Anyone who has gone hard on the satellite tasting room model is going to be feeling this in a big way.

Ultimately, damn near every brewery is in some varying level of shit at the moment. MT's exposure due to being in a period of major growth is an increase in that, but the fact that they have locations in every major metro in CA for their customers to pick up orders, coupled with the fact that they're relatively well plugged into distribution into grocery stores/major retail chains, also helps somewhat. That's obviously a gross oversimplification, but there are far too many unknown variables to really quantify or contextualize it.

How the varying levels of shit play out for any given brewery depends heavily on how long draft beer is a non-factor for revenue generation and how quickly they can maximize their revenue for packaged beer, both by re-tooling their planned output and connecting it with their customers. It's been pretty incredible to watch breweries roll out online ordering, delivery, and shipping in a matter of days, especially given both the financial stress of the situation, as well as the emotional stress of living through a modern plague and having your livelihood depend on continuing to interact with the public.

I hope that as many of San Diego's breweries as possible survive, but it's going to be a brutal path. That said, make a real effort to support the ones you care about, and especially the people behind them to whatever extent you can right now.

MT sent an email last night saying that while salaried staff has dramatically reduced take-home pay, there haven't been any involuntary layoffs yet and the employees still have health care.

The downside to restaurants/bars selling growlers is you have people who may not be well trained on filling them. Tonight I got a growler from a place and the bartender touched both ends of the fill tube multiple before connecting it to the tap and putting the other end in my growler, used a spoon laying on the bar to spoon foam out of it, put the growler directly onto the tap at one point and used a bar towel to wipe foam off the top of the growler with the cap still off.

I don't think I'm comfortable drinking it now...

The downside to restaurants/bars selling growlers is you have people who may not be well trained on filling them. Tonight I got a growler from a place and the bartender touched both ends of the fill tube multiple before connecting it to the tap and putting the other end in my growler, used a spoon laying on the bar to spoon foam out of it, put the growler directly onto the tap at one point and used a bar towel to wipe foam off the top of the growler with the cap still off.

I don't think I'm comfortable drinking it now...
No, no, no, no....