US - Pacific The San Diego area thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

While that’s indeed terribad practice, FWIW (and this is coming from a total germaphobe), there’s absolutely no evidence you can get COVID-19 from food or drink – the pH of your stomach destroys the virus’s lipid envelope before it can propagate anywhere else. I follow a food safety professor, and he’s said multiple times that a food service worker could cough directly on your food and there’s basically zero chance you’d get COVID-19 due to that (although obviously there’d be the chance of other diseases, which you might worry about with that growler). Your lungs are where you really need to keep the virus out of.

Last edited:

Xul

Tangential to the point about bars filling growlers, I've been a bit fascinated at how many social media posts I've seen with people genuinely excited to get growler fills of Pliny the Elder. It's regularly available in bottles with incredibly recent packaging dates - why would a growler from a keg of unknown age at an establishment that's not set up to do fills regularly (e.g. no CO2 purge and questionable procedures) be exciting? I get the novelty aspect of it, but people talking about how much "fresher" it tastes out of a growler have me wondering if they understand how dissolved oxygen works.

Tangential to the point about bars filling growlers, I've been a bit fascinated at how many social media posts I've seen with people genuinely excited to get growler fills of Pliny the Elder. It's regularly available in bottles with incredibly recent packaging dates - why would a growler from a keg of unknown age at an establishment that's not set up to do fills regularly (e.g. no CO2 purge and questionable procedures) be exciting? I get the novelty aspect of it, but people talking about how much "fresher" it tastes out of a growler have me wondering if they understand how dissolved oxygen works.
Agreed, it’s novelty and I don’t get it.

ha, just about to crack open a pliny bottle dated 3/17. the social media posts got me in the mood, but yeah, not sure why I'd get a growler when fresh bottles are often readily available.

Agree that novelty is a big factor. I also think there are people who just think draft beer tastes fresher for whatever reason. The only real upside I see is that it's generally cheaper in growlers than in bottles.

Uncertain if you guys are as nerdy as I am, but we occasionally do social distancing happy hour and have a Zoom chat going where we just check up, talk shit, and drink beer. I won't post the meeting id publicly, but if anybody is interested then hit me up. It varies based on the day, but there is usually one going on by 8pm, almost every day.

I'm more worried about the nasty old growlers that people are bound to be bringing into places personally. Seems like places should have to use new glass since there's no way to control where it has been or how many people have handled it before the bartender touches it.

I'm more worried about the nasty old growlers that people are bound to be bringing into places personally. Seems like places should have to use new glass since there's no way to control where it has been or how many people have handled it before the bartender touches it.
I have a few glass growlers and am legit afraid of what may have ventured in (fly/spider/etc) since I have used/cleaned them. Basically just been using crowlers or else those nice miir double-walled stainless 32oz that a few beer memberships gave out as their merch item.

I have a few glass growlers and am legit afraid of what may have ventured in (fly/spider/etc) since I have used/cleaned them. Basically just been using crowlers or else those nice miir double-walled stainless 32oz that a few beer memberships gave out as their merch item.
Same here. I just about threw out all my old growlers before all this happened, haha.

Uncertain if you guys are as nerdy as I am, but we occasionally do social distancing happy hour and have a Zoom chat going where we just check up, talk shit, and drink beer. I won't post the meeting id publicly, but if anybody is interested then hit me up. It varies based on the day, but there is usually one going on by 8pm, almost every day.
shoot me the meeting ID. I got time.

I can pop in. But it will be 10 here, which means I will be d r u n k

The only one we had yesterday was during the day to celebrate a birthday. I'll let you all know what is up this evening when I get more info.

It's also important to note that not everybody who's into beer in San Diego is as "clued in" as we are. I still run into a decent amount of people who are into the beer scene yet still get pretty excited when they see Pliny on tap in town. Shit, one of my coworkers was saying how excited he was to find bottles of it way up in Tahoe; his IG post was littered with comments like "omg jealous!" and "you're so lucky!" Meanwhile, I'm sure all of us know where to get a bottle of it right this very second.

You wait until 10pm to get drunk? I start drinking at 10am. This pandemic, layoff, staying at home, teaching my 9yr old son, baking, cooking, cleaning, got me feeling like a drunk Marry Poppins with a nicer ass...
I start drinking at 6pm, the second I get off my computer for work.

I'm actually bored of it at this point, and that is scary

I'm getting bored only because I am forced to do everything I would normally do anyways. So....a slight lack of free-will.

But I like drinking beer, drinking mead, doing that inside, playing video games, watching movies, and distancing myself away from other humans.

Latest posts