US - Mid-Atlantic The Strong Island Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Well this is quite the interesting thread.

Annyyyyyway....

I'm a native LIer who only makes it back to town once every other year now. I try to take my buddies to local breweries every time I visit, but with the rapid growth of beer in every corner of the country, I figured I'd come here for some suggestions on where to hit up.

In the past we did Blue Point (before they sold out) and Great South Bay.

My buddies live in Levittown, Huntington, Commack, and East Northport.

I'll be on LI just for the weekend (Friday - Sunday) and probably only have time to spend one of those days at a brewery or two.

Thoughts on places to go with guys who dig beer but aren't super nerd about it.
Barrier is always a good time. And I wanna try the new food truck there that said something about stuffed French Toast. They also do some nice specials during the week. Not too far from Levittown.

Haven't been to the others mentioned but I like their beer. Port Jeff's taproom is also nice. Small but cozy. Just all the way north.

Last edited:
one of my favorite breweries on LI that doesn't get much chatter is spider bite. They are out in Holbrook closer to blue point than where you'll be but from a beer perspective, they are up there. it is a similar vibe to barrage which I would definitely recommend esp since it is probably one of the closer ones to where you'll be and also great beer. obviously you have to make sand city a priority.

Sand City in Northport and Barrage in Farmingdale would be my choices. Keep the travel time/distance down.
I second Barrage; tap room is pretty small but they are making some really good beer.

Barrier has good beer and a large tap room to hang out in but, as Kasher said about cutting down on travelling, it would be a bit of a trek from where your buddies live.
Barrier is always a good time. And I wanna try the new food truck there that said something about stuffed French Toast. They also do some nice specials during the week. Not too far from Levittown.

Haven't been to the others mentioned but I like their beer. Port Jeff's taproom is also nice. Small but cozy. Just all the way north.
one of my favorite breweries on LI that doesn't get much chatter is spider bite. They are out in Holbrook closer to blue point than where you'll be but from a beer perspective, they are up there. it is a similar vibe to barrage which I would definitely recommend esp since it is probably one of the closer ones to where you'll be and also great beer. obviously you have to make sand city a priority.
Thanks for all the recs. Looks like we're going to do Barrage on Saturday and Sand City either Friday night or Saturday after Barrage.

I'll be rocking my Talk Beer tshirt if anyone is so inclined to come out.

Anyone on Long Island need any shippers?

I have 12ers, 6ers, 2'ers,

I also have 6/12/24 12oz shipper's

These are gonna go our w the trash on Sunday unless claimed. Cheers!

I am dropping my daughter off in Floral park for a weekend with her friend, then taking the rest of the family out east up to an hour or so to explore/get a hotel for a couple of nights. From the looks of it, might hit barrier, barrage, then spider bite. Any other in the area? I have no clue about life out there, so any restaurants/bars/breweries/sites? I am thinking of staying in the bluepoint/spiderbite area.

Last edited:
I am dropping my daughter off in Floral park for a weekend with her friend, then taking the rest of the family out west up to an hour or so to explore/get a hotel for a couple of nights. From the looks of it, might hit barrier, barrage, then spider bite. Any other in the area? I have no clue about life out there, so any restaurants/bars/breweries/sites? I am thinking of staying in the bluepoint/spiderbite area.
1940's is in the same industrial park area as Spider bite, 1/8 of mile or so down the road. Blue Point is a really enjoyable spot to check out if the weather is nice. They still make really nice beers. You kind of mention them in where you're staying but not on the brewery list. Downtown Patchogue as a whole has a lot of good bars, pubs etc. Brickhouse is a nice local spot that makes decent beers.

Sand City is sort of close to Barrage. Maybe 20-25 minutes NE.

Floral Park is west of all these locations, so maybe print out some directions.

1940's is in the same industrial park area as Spider bite, 1/8 of mile or so down the road. Blue Point is a really enjoyable spot to check out if the weather is nice. They still make really nice beers. You kind of mention them in where you're staying but not on the brewery list. Downtown Patchogue as a whole has a lot of good bars, pubs etc. Brickhouse is a nice local spot that makes decent beers.

Sand City is sort of close to Barrage. Maybe 20-25 minutes NE.

Floral Park is west of all these locations, so maybe print out some directions.
correction. I am headed east from Floral Park. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am dropping my daughter off in Floral park for a weekend with her friend, then taking the rest of the family out east up to an hour or so to explore/get a hotel for a couple of nights. From the looks of it, might hit barrier, barrage, then spider bite. Any other in the area? I have no clue about life out there, so any restaurants/bars/breweries/sites? I am thinking of staying in the bluepoint/spiderbite area.
Hoptron Brewtique has a good taplist.
BBD’s might be too far.

There’s also a Long Island thread (the Strong Island thread). They might have mire suggestions

Latest posts