The Toronto Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yasky

Reaction score
Figure we could use one of these. Let me start by stating the following:

There are NO Cantillon bottles for sale for you to take home anywhere in the city. Not the LCBO, Beer Store, or any corner store..... Or anywhere the province of Ontario for that matter. Beerbistro, Volo and a few others may have some available for consumption on premise (at restaurant prices), but any bottles in Toronto that are not at those places are quietly sitting in all our cellars. And we likely got them from guys in BC, Alberta or Quebec.

Breweries: Bellwoods is tops, but Great Lakes has some great hoppy offerings, Indie Alehouse is up and coming, and Amsterdam can occasionally hit one out of the park. Visiting the breweries to buy their beers is the best way to go. Should note that none of them are in walking distance of eachother. If you time your visit right Bellwoods will have a reserve series bottle for sale and Great Lakes could have cans or bottles of anything.

Bars: Bar Hop, Volo, Bellwoods, and Wvrst are definitely worth checking out. Bar Hop probably has the best taplist, while Volo has a darned good bottle selection. and yes, they are serious about wanting 30 bucks for Upright 6. Once you get north of Lawrence your options decrease significantly so you probably want to stick to the downtown.

Stores: LCBO and Beer Store both have selections that would be laughed at in most states. LCBO should at least have a couple interesting imports and a few good micros from Ontario and the rest of Canada. Beer Store is owned by Labbatt Sleeman and Molson and the selection prettymuch reflects this. Most of the microbreweries here sell their bottles on location.

Sports: Catching a baseball game? Get your drink on before or after as the Macros have a monopoly on all the taps. Same thing if you want to watch the Leafs or the Raptors. We're still decades behind the US on things like this in Ontario.

There was once a Belgian beer bar in Tranna that served bottles of Cantillon in the late 80s. Don't think it lasted long but they did serve Rose de Gambrinus.

There was once a Belgian beer bar in Tranna that served bottles of Cantillon in the late 80s. Don't think it lasted long but they did serve Rose de Gambrinus.
It's still real. Beer Bistro usually has bottles. Until a few months ago they had a nice little supply of Lou Pepe Framboise (750mL, '07).

$31.

Srs.

Last time I was in they had classic geuze for about $15 for little bottles.

There were some RdG at Bar Hop recently as well.

I'm going to be in Toronto this weekend for Fan Expo. Any recommendations for food and beer are appreciated, especially around the Metro Toronto Convention Center. Thanks.

Considering coming up the weekend of the 14th and hit Bellwoods and whatnot if anyone has any updated suggestions on lodging/breweries etc

Anything happening in toronto since this thread was created besides bellwoods?

Folly Brewpub is putting out some nice farmhouses. They aren't far from Bellwoods.
Also Burdock. They're doing a variety of styles decently executed. Also closer to Bellwoods.

When I have time I'll put together a proper post on the Toronto scene and locations to visit.

In the meantime.... more Bellwoods.

Heading here in September for a day. Bellwoods seems to be top dog??? Best ramen spot???
Bellwoods is your top bet, yes.

Best ramen in Toronto is Sansotei Ramen, they have three locations I believe. Tonkotsu Black is money.

Last edited:
Headed to visit friends up here in early/mid Sept.

Bellwoods
Great Lakes
Folly
Burdock

Blood Brothers? - Someone just mentioned this
Junction?
Halo?

What else is there to do up there? I've never been to Canada and the person we're visiting has only been there for a few months. She's Canadian by birth but from somewhere else I guess? It can't be a beer only trip, so there's that :\

I'm also going to be in Toronto soon. Aug 31- Sept 4. I'll be near the Convention Center (since I'm going to something in the convention center). Last time I was there my hotel room overlooked a pilsner only brewery called Steam Whistle. I never tried it while I was there. I don't think I had Bellwoods, either. I can't remember what I did have because I don't use data in Canada so those are beers I haven't checked into on untappd.

Headed to visit friends up here in early/mid Sept.

Bellwoods
Great Lakes
Folly
Burdock

Blood Brothers? - Someone just mentioned this
Junction?
Halo?

What else is there to do up there? I've never been to Canada and the person we're visiting has only been there for a few months. She's Canadian by birth but from somewhere else I guess? It can't be a beer only trip, so there's that :\
Bellwoods is always the best option. Burdock is doing nice things lately and has improved a lot in the past year. Great Lakes is on and off, but not 100% worth it to seek out IMO. Blood Brothers are fine, but I can't say I was flabbergasted with what I had so far.

I'm also going to be in Toronto soon. Aug 31- Sept 4. I'll be near the Convention Center (since I'm going to something in the convention center). Last time I was there my hotel room overlooked a pilsner only brewery called Steam Whistle. I never tried it while I was there. I don't think I had Bellwoods, either. I can't remember what I did have because I don't use data in Canada so those are beers I haven't checked into on untappd.
Steam Whistle is quite macro and to be avoided. No time to be wasted there.

As I've said, Bellwoods is Ontario's best. Usually have good stuff on the deck. Regarding what is to go, its on and off :)

Getting called up for business tomorrow into Friday. What place has the best selection for take home?

Bellwoods should have a few bottles available. Great Lakes and Burdock probably have something interesting kicking around as well.

Bringing this back to life as Bellwoods just announced they are opening their online shop to sell and ship beer throughout the province. Total game changer.

There are others already doing it (Left Field, HHOE, Collective Arts, etc) but these guys doing it is big for them and for everyone else. Odd as they are affiliated with Shelton Bros now. Wondering if the exporting thing isn't as lucrative as shipping in province. Don't care. Just happy to go to my mailbox to get my hops vs driving 4hrs.

The entitled locals in the comments is expected and very typical even in Canada.

Bringing this back to life as Bellwoods just announced they are opening their online shop to sell and ship beer throughout the province. Total game changer.

There are others already doing it (Left Field, HHOE, Collective Arts, etc) but these guys doing it is big for them and for everyone else. Odd as they are affiliated with Shelton Bros now. Wondering if the exporting thing isn't as lucrative as shipping in province. Don't care. Just happy to go to my mailbox to get my hops vs driving 4hrs.

The entitled locals in the comments is expected and very typical even in Canada.

Yeah, I laughed hard at the few people whining about having less access. I mean their special releases have been turding up the two bottle shops for weeks now and the locals are worried? Torontonians are the best (worst).

Side note. Do you really prefer their hops to the Old Nation you can get down across the border? Personally, I can't stand their hoppy beers as they are so inconsistent and often have a horrendous burn to them. I can't be bothered to gamble that they are going to deliver a good ipa anymore, just been burned too many times at this point and I also have nice access to a growing number of breweries distro'd to western ny that are nailing their ipas (e.g., Captain Lawrence, Foreign Objects, and Industrial Arts).

Yeah, I laughed hard at the few people whining about having less access. I mean their special releases have been turding up the two bottle shops for weeks now and the locals are worried? Torontonians are the best (worst).

Side note. Do you really prefer their hops to the Old Nation you can get down across the border? Personally, I can't stand their hoppy beers as they are so inconsistent and often have a horrendous burn to them. I can't be bothered to gamble that they are going to deliver a good ipa anymore, just been burned too many times at this point and I also have nice access to a growing number of breweries distro'd to western ny that are nailing their ipas (e.g., Captain Lawrence, Foreign Objects, and Industrial Arts).
I wouldn't rave about their hops as of late, no. Not compared to where they had been maybe 2 years ago. Not sure its the newer system they're still playing with, Luke being on the road all the time and not having direction oversight of whats being put out, or if they have a couple brewers still learning the ropes. I find they are definitely having noticeable batch variation. I don't get the burn you get, or at least not an undesireable one. Any burn I'm getting I've attributed to the yeast they've been using. I know there was a lot of Conan yeast a while back but not sure if they've migrated away from that or not.

Old Nation definitely has churned a more consistently better set last 12 months for sure.
I just love the easy access, period. If they rerelease Grizzly Beer or Hellwoods I'll be a pig in dookie.

Edit: holy ****. Just looking at the Hafis list now.... still have BOYD, SKey Vanilla, the Cloudwater collabs... tons of pils, lagers, and other non-hops available. Pretty damn cool. Hope it lasts. ;)

Latest posts

Back