The Wine Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

I'm actually a sommelier by trade (formerly of a top 100 US restaurant), so if anyone has any wine questions, by all means, I'm here to answer them. Also have some nice wine I could let go for beer.
Any recommendations for any interesting American white wines? I typically pair whites with most of my foods but so often American whites are either big oakey chardonnays or pretty boring pinot grigios or sauvignon blancs. I find myself preferring minerally, high acid crisp European wines over domestic stuff. Some styles that I usually gravitate towards are vouvrays/chenin blancs from the Loire Valley, Basque whites (Txakoli), Vermentinos, or Slovenian whites. Obviously a big fan of white burgundies too but those are a little less versatile as a food pairing wine.

Any recommendations for any interesting American white wines? I typically pair whites with most of my foods but so often American whites are either big oakey chardonnays or pretty boring pinot grigios or sauvignon blancs. I find myself preferring minerally, high acid crisp European wines over domestic stuff. Some styles that I usually gravitate towards are vouvrays/chenin blancs from the Loire Valley, Basque whites (Txakoli), Vermentinos, or Slovenian whites. Obviously a big fan of white burgundies too but those are a little less versatile as a food pairing wine.
I look for lesser known old world varietals. California can do white rhone style blends quite well, and I've seen grapes like verdelho do well in the cali climate. Some quality producers do that conundrum style blend rather well for the off dry fan. .. something like the sokol blosser evolution comes to mind there. Oregon also does some drier interpretations of German varietals ... including more than just riesling.

Sorry for poor formatting, posting from my phone.

Don't know what much there is to say about Vin Jaune other than it's hella tasty. Only two I ever really see down here (TX) are Puffeney and Montbourgeau.

Don't know what much there is to say about Vin Jaune other than it's hella tasty. Only two I ever really see down here (TX) are Puffeney and Montbourgeau.
I'd add Macle, Gahier and Ganevat to the list too. Pricewise- Montbourgeau is your best bet.

Wine berserkers is good stuff, but sometimes too much for the AFWE.

I think for those who like big badass BA Stouts, GSM wine in the 16%+ abv range (I'm looking at you Paso) may be an easy transition

I'm actually a sommelier by trade (formerly of a top 100 US restaurant), so if anyone has any wine questions, by all means, I'm here to answer them. Also have some nice wine I could let go for beer.
Neither the GF nor myself dig too many whites (we love reds), but she absolutely loves this stuff: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-6...hie-singing-gruner-veltliner-kremstal-austria

It's a "singing" Gruner, so it's not really carbonated, but there's something strange going on in the mouthfeel. Do you know of any others that do the same thing? Or any recs for nice Gruners sub-$40?

Thanks.

Neither the GF nor myself dig too many whites (we love reds), but she absolutely loves this stuff: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-6...hie-singing-gruner-veltliner-kremstal-austria

It's a "singing" Gruner, so it's not really carbonated, but there's something strange going on in the mouthfeel. Do you know of any others that do the same thing? Or any recs for nice Gruners sub-$40?

Thanks.
To me- Bernhard Ott Prager and Nikolaihof are THE gruner producers. Prager is going to reach past the $40 threshold, but well worth it. Ott and Nikolaihof usually hover around $20-30 for most bottlings.

If you're digging whites that are light and easy drinking check out some Muscadet. For $15 you can get top level stuff, and it ages pretty well too.

Thanks.
'Singing' is not a technical term, they just use it to refer to the fact that the wine is light and playful, and really a lot of young Gruner will be that way.

Asking for a list of nice Gruner under $40 is like asking for a list of good BA stouts ... they're literally everywhere, Gruner just isn't an expensive grape, which is phenomenal. I would say stick to Austria from known regions (Wachau, Kamptal, Kremstal) and go to town. Just buy younger vintages, and they should all have that racy, high acid mouthfeel that you're experiencing. Austrian Rieslings will be the same with a bit mooe fruit up front, and not always the sweetness levels people have come to associate with Riesling.

Last edited:

Latest posts