This week on: Should He Dome It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should He Dome It?

• Total voters

jakeox

Reaction score
D7AJ3DU.jpg

I've been contemplating what sweet beer I'd open tomorrow for Father's Day -- since I have more great beers than special occasions, everything I have is on the table. I also just picked up this ridiculous snifter on eBay (no idea how much it holds -- well in excess of a gallon though). Then, moments ago, I received this beautiful growler of Only Void from ForkAndSpoonOperator (the snarkiest gourmet store on the internet) along with proper glassware, and the wheels started turning ...

I leave this up to you ... <audience yells in unison> "Should He Dome It?!?"

Every vote in the poll gives you one entry to win a home version of Should He Dome It*.

*Comes in the form of a congratulatory shout-out; you provide the beer and glassware.

ZQqa4kz.jpg

And so it begins ... fortified by brunch at Revolution (pancetta gravy and biscuits plus a tulip of Provocateur to lay down a good base and to limber up for the main event). I forgot that I have dinner reservations at Next (Vegan menu) at 6pm, so there's a time constraint here.

So far it's really good, with a dark fruit thing going on and well-hidden booze. Very drinkable, and a much nicer nose than the Darkness I broke this snifter in with (you can't escape the nose with this snifter).

Updates periodically.

893G5r1.jpg

1.5 hours in ... I feel like I've been sipping non-stop, and I feel like I've consumed quite a lot of beer ... but it doesn't look like I've made a ton of progress. Perhaps this snifter lies, or perhaps 64+ ounces of high-gravity beer is quite a lot.

Still, the Only Void, unlike many other beers, remains delicious even after however much I've consumed.

It occurs to me in reference to tonight's dinner: what are the politics of showing up to a Vegan restaurant still smelling like the meat-filled grill smoke from the previous evening's festivities? I mean, I've bathed, but given my dog's reaction, I still smell like delicious grilled meat.

GGD2zCH.jpg

I can't tell if I'm making progress anymore ... it's like a black hole of deliciousness that just doesn't diminish.

Lots of beers stop being tasty after half of a beer ... or one beer ... or three. This is not one of those. But does it ever end? I'm not sure.

2t1JmPe.jpg

My dog is with me whether I finish this beer or not.

Is that a euphemism? "Yeah, he drank four Heady Toppers, but I heard he painted the nursery that night." I love it.

I wish. Some wonderful jackass (peter aka pschul4) sent me a couple of growlers. My wife went out and said something to the effect of "paint the nursery while I'm gone"... I did and drank lots of beer. I also painted in the entire inside of the closet, most of the plates over the light switches, a few parts of the ceiling, and the carpet in one or two places. The picture etched into the glass is Peter.

e2b7defcf2a3a77420a7281ba9b43043_320x320.jpg

620a3b16cff5aec5047ff9b7931ce83e_320x320.jpg

97668b304322e4ff01584f9fa2e332fd_320x320.jpg

0c35349dea289f08472314ffc9e75a3f_320x320.jpg

e4870c851dde7647231056bf26cae864_320x320.jpg

472d7fa712b2354227c98b8002d95ff4_320x320.jpg

Your snifter > than my "**** off mary" pint glass though.

I'm curious what you all are seeing that looks bong-like. That shelf is messy but I don't think there are any devices manufactured for that purpose on there.

I made it through a 3+ hour vegan dinner at a very fancy place, and only started looking a little green about 2 hours in. After I more or less skipped a course and mumbled something about how it was perfectly good but I wasn't feeling well so they shouldn't be concerned that I didn't eat it (I am always for some reason afraid of offending skilled cooks/chefs), the kitchen sent out a nice pot of Earl Grey with a plate of sliced lemons. After I drank the tea (pinky out, naturally), I rallied through the rest of the meal. Was home by 9:15 and in bed by 9:20. Do I feel like less of a man? No. I did what I needed to do.

I see this as no more pointless than running a marathon, and much more enjoyable. I'd pace myself a little better if I do this again. Or get in better drinking shape.

I am sad that ive only opened this thread up now.

I took a 1-liter of only void to the face and was feeling quite good. I am trying to imagine what 2x the consumption would have been like. I have to agree that it was surprisingly easy drinking at room temperature.

Cheers to you.

P.S. - Next time you do a photo op, please remember your glasses and cigar Groucho.

Back