Tired Hands new growler fill policy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franch

Reaction score
lol shockingly it includes a requirement to buy their branded growlers.

Beginning Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 the following rules will go into effect:

• We will fill only Tired Hands branded growlers. We built our tap towers to be THE specific height to accommodate both our 32oz and 64oz growlers. This allows for precise control when filling OUR growlers. When we fill other growler formats, we tend to lose a good bit of beer down the drain due to improper filling technique. We also give a good bit of beer away for free when filling various other growlers, as they max out at 68 oz. Stainless steel growlers are cool, but do not allow us to monitor fill levels and are also very difficult to inspect making the possibility of filling a moldy/dirty growler much more likely. Also, at the end of the day, we are exceedingly proud to put our name on what we make. Ego aside, we believe that this is only fair and hope you folks understand.

• One growler fill (regardless of size) PER person, PER draft selection, PER day. This means that you are free to come through and get a growler of everything on tap (assuming that you pay for and leave with up to 192 oz of beer per trip off the premises). As noted, this rule is volumetrically blind. This is due to the need to keep our growler filling program as efficient as possible.

• Our growlers (both the 32oz and the 64oz) still cost $5. It’s a steal!

Listen… I know this sucks. You have to believe me when I tell you this: We are working on it, and expect that someday soon, the majority of these limitations will go away (standby for a pretty exciting announcement). I want you folks to enjoy our beer… as much of our beer as you’d like… but we need to spread the love just a little bit right now.

Many thanks in advance for understanding. I can’t wait to share a beer with you folks as we move forward. You are all the best.

At the end of the day, please don’t despair… Just channel your inner Vonnegut. “And so it goes…”

Drink the yeast. Eat the rind.

Jean Broillet IV

I don't like the branded growler policy either, but, as a local, I think the new growler limits are a good idea.

This allows for precise control when filling OUR growlers. When we fill other growler formats, we tend to lose a good bit of beer down the drain due to improper filling technique.

heh. I love this place, and I support them, but "precise" and "control" made me chuckle.
I dig my fingers into the bar-top in fear-suspense as I watch my growler spin like a goddamn decelerating dreidel as it stands to steady after being haphazardly jammed underneath the tap, gushing-over like a shitty water fountain.

locals will have fine trade bait I see(shoutout to the dude I overheard at the last release who traded two growlers for a Prop).

Do you think their "exciting announcement" is going to involve a growler filling station?
im guessing it has something to do with the additional brewing facility they've been looking at? setting up? but counter-pressure filled growlers would be a welcome change. I know they have a CP filler currently.

"We also give a good bit of beer away for free when filling various other growlers, as they max out at 68 oz."

Seriously, standing ovation for this being one of the dumbest things ive read on the internet. I believe this is in reference to the german style flip top growlers that have a 64oz graduation on the neck of the growler but if you fill them to the brim you could squeeze 4 more oz in.

Isnt their draft pour pricing schematic sized at 4, 8 and 16oz? Isnt this in place to gear you towards the more oz you buy, the better the ratio of $ to oz of beer?

What is next? When they fill your growler they will collect the runoff from their drip tray and depending on how much overflow there was, you will be charged a variable price in addition to the growler fill.

"We also give a good bit of beer away for free when filling various other growlers, as they max out at 68 oz."

Seriously, standing ovation for this being one of the dumbest things ive read on the internet. I believe this is in reference to the german style flip top growlers that have a 64oz graduation on the neck of the growler but if you fill them to the brim you could squeeze 4 more oz in.

Screw cap also have a 64oz fill line. If you fill them to the cap - it's more than 64oz. ****ing cheapskates - cap on foam and shut the **** up. Figure out how many fills you sell from 1 keg and price accordingly.

wait, I just did a google image search, expecting to find they used unique growlers. It appears they use the standard tall 32oz flip top growler and the 64oz screw top growler style that EVERYONE uses.

giphy.gif

wait, I just did a google image search, expecting to find they used unique growlers. It appears they use the standard tall 32oz flip top growler and the 64oz screw top growler style that EVERYONE uses.

giphy.gif

BRO THEIR DRAFT TOWER WAS SETUP BY ****ING MIT AND NASA FOR ONLY THEIR GROWLERS....DID YOU READ?>

Why do these guys think some ******** giant explanation is better than "we want to make money by selling growlers"?

BRO THEIR DRAFT TOWER WAS SETUP BY ****ING MIT AND NASA FOR ONLY THEIR GROWLERS....DID YOU READ?>

Why do these guys think some ******** giant explanation is better than "we want to make money by selling growlers"?
I really don't understand it either - it didn't ring true when Vinnie and Natalie shoveled the same truckloads of manure. Just state that you're a business, and businesses are in it to maximize profit, ergo, buy our branded ****, yo. Simple. All this other stuff insults everyone's intelligence.

Why do breweries feel the need to shovel this "we love you and we're as disappointed as you are that we have to do this!" ******** at their customers?

I never thought I'd ever regard South Carolina as a progressive force in craft beer for any reason, but at least here every brewery and store will fill anybody's growler, no questions asked. In fact I've never been turned down filling a growler of a size they didn't even have listed for fills, they just multiplied or divided the price as need be.

Does Tired Hands make anything that's not mediocre? No great loss.
Not as far as I can tell.

Why do breweries feel the need to shovel this "we love you and we're as disappointed as you are that we have to do this!" ******** at their customers?

I never thought I'd ever regard South Carolina as a progressive force in craft beer for any reason, but at least here every brewery and store will fill anybody's growler, no questions asked. In fact I've never been turned down filling a growler of a size they didn't even have listed for fills, they just multiplied or divided the price as need be.
Hence the "we're dumb and we think our employees are dumb". Filling a growler is easy. A trained monkey could do it. Let your staff figure it out, they can.

"Why-a you-a make-a me do this, Ruperto? I no want to hit you." - Stewie

I've gotten burned out on the growler fight. I haven't filled anything locally in six months unless someone requested it in a trade. Which reminds me, I'm getting some CLR this weekend and sanding off my Tired Hands, Hill Farmstead, Drake's, and all but one or two RR growlers. If I can't fill it at your place... Your loss, not mine. I'll keep my money.

Does Tired Hands make anything that's not mediocre? No great loss.
Homer alert: I think much of TH's beer is really really good. Specifically, their draft pale ales and saisons are almost always good to great. Occasionally, they knock a sour out of the park (e.g. Romulon). Their barrel-aged/blended saisons are typically very good. The TH beers I haven't loved (which seems to be pretty universal) are their bigger, non-hoppy offerings. Maybe my opinion would change if I had tried a majority of their beer out of a growler, but many of the beers I've enjoyed on draft (which is a lot) have been very good.

This is so stupid.

I don't know how much RR and others using less ubiquitous glass (and requiring someone use THEIR growler) charge for their empty growlers, which probably would make me understand this a little bit better, but the one thing that's always made me vaguely ok with these policies (absent any research or anything) is that those growlers are damn expensive, and I've always been somewhat convinced that they aren't making money off of them. Maybe they are, which would explain this **** a lot more, but whatever.

But this? They're using the normal 64 oz screwtops and normal 32oz fliptops. It's pretty damn easy for me to go and research those and estimate that even at the "steal" price of $5, they are making a pretty damn good margin on each one they push out the door, and all of this flowery rhetoric and crap about growlers fitting right and blah blah... Could you be any more transparent? God. Just say "we want more money, suck it", and move on.

EDIT: And, um, just so you're aware, Jean, those 64 oz growlers you're filling also are more than 64 oz filled to the top. Try it, and measure. It's more. But because it has another brewery's name on it, it's bigger, I'm sure.

I think I'm pretty far past the point where fanboy suckup on these types of issues is amusing. It's just pathetic.

I try to keep myself on the amused side of things, but this just insults my intelligence.

Tired Hands: "We aren't reducing any options here at our brewery, we are actually increasing them..."

Seriously guys, you are ****ing stupid.

To be quite honest I love a lot of their beers mostly because they hit my strike zone of highly drinkable hoppy or farmhouse beers.

But I hardly go their as much as I want to because I've always gotten the vibe that I should just be happy to have the opportunity to spend my money there. If anyone says anything negative be prepared for the backlash from some of their regulars (or see negative their yelp reviews posted for public shaming by the masses).

I try to keep myself on the amused side of things, but this just insults my intelligence.

Tired Hands: "We aren't reducing any options here at our brewery, we are actually increasing them..."

Seriously guys, you are ****ing stupid.
To be fair I think he's referring to the fact that limiting growler fills will allow for more beers on tap as they've had some nights where they've only had 5-7 beers on. There are two sort of things getting people pissed, one is limiting growler fills to keep beer on tap longer (which was actually needed) and the second is the "Tired Hands growlers only" which came a day or two later while everyone was bitching about the first one.

I really cannot recall any brewery ever where the ever-fluctuating growler fill/policy/quality/limit is such a constant problem.

To be fair I think he's referring to the fact that limiting growler fills will allow for more beers on tap as they've had some nights where they've only had 5-7 beers on. There are two sort of things getting people pissed, one is limiting growler fills to keep beer on tap longer (which was actually needed) and the second is the "Tired Hands growlers only" which came a day or two later while everyone was bitching about the first one.

Ah, ok. The timeline wasn't clear to me. It's the logo-only growler policy that I find idiotic, mainly because (as has been said in this thread) CA has been pushing that ******** for years. I grandfathered in a couple of breweries (RR, Alpine) but I won't buy any more growlers. The silly thing is that I had a couple of TH growlers, and the guy who sent them to me told me to keep them, because he's tired of Jean's ********. You have to laugh at that.

this is idiotic at this point... i've had so many different types of growlers filled there over the last year and a half due to (as stated above) ever-fluctuating policy. only their growlers - then other breweries are OK back to only their growlers then the addition of non-brewery growlers (such as whole foods)

the problem i see from this is not only the purchase of the glass from TH... but the fact that half the time when i need a 1L they're out. i stop at whole foods and walk in and just buy an empty 1L if i know i'm headed to TH in the next day or so for growler fills... just to be safe. i'm not even saving any money, the WF growlers are the same price. i just want to ensure i'll be able to fill my 1L. Lord knows i'll never get through a 2L before it goes flat.

Usually the business needs to suck the customers cock. Why is beer so backwards?

It's because the beer isn't enough for some people. They go out of their way to force a personal relationship to achieve any one of a number of ends. The inverse of this is when they've been rebuffed and start saying horrible things on social media and beer forums.

If a relationship develops naturally, great. If not, just keep drinking delicious beer. I'm always disappointed by the angst in how people perceive Shaun Hill, Tomme Arthur or whoever. I have plenty of friends and don't need to be a VIP. Just pump out good beer.

It's because the beer isn't enough for some people. They go out of their way to force a personal relationship to achieve any one of a number of ends. The inverse of this is when they've been rebuffed and start saying horrible things on social media and beer forums.

If a relationship develops naturally, great. If not, just keep drinking delicious beer. I'm always disappointed by the angst in how people perceive Shaun Hill, Tomme Arthur or whoever. I have plenty of friends and don't need to be a VIP. Just pump out good beer.
You really believe that "angst" comes solely from overentitlement on the part of beer consumers? On the contrary, I find that much of the time, the arrogance goes one way, from people like Shaun or Tomme towards the little peons who DARE question the quality of their product, even when it's demonstrably flawed. I don't really think that expecting the $15 375ml bottle you just bought to be, y'know, carbed is behaving like a "VIP" or imposing some sort of false relationship between yourself and the brewer - it's behaving like a consumer with reasonable expectations for what your beer-buying dollars are getting you. And when it comes to things like these branded-growler policies, I'm fine with it if they're upfront about it and just give the only reason that holds water - it's a business, and even if they're only making a buck or two on each growler glass sale, it adds up, so there ya go. Just don't spout these other halfassed justifications that just tell us they believe their average consumer is an easy mark. Being insulted by that isn't behaving like a VIP, it's behaving like someone who doesn't appreciate being treated like an idiot.

You really believe that "angst" comes solely from overentitlement on the part of beer consumers? On the contrary, I find that much of the time, the arrogance goes one way, from people like Shaun or Tomme towards the little peons who DARE question the quality of their product, even when it's demonstrably flawed. I don't really think that expecting the $15 375ml bottle you just bought to be, y'know, carbed is behaving like a "VIP" or imposing some sort of false relationship between yourself and the brewer - it's behaving like a consumer with reasonable expectations for what your beer-buying dollars are getting you. And when it comes to things like these branded-growler policies, I'm fine with it if they're upfront about it and just give the only reason that holds water - it's a business, and even if they're only making a buck or two on each growler glass sale, it adds up, so there ya go. Just don't spout these other halfassed justifications that just tell us they believe their average consumer is an easy mark. Being insulted by that isn't behaving like a VIP, it's behaving like someone who doesn't appreciate being treated like an idiot.

You misunderstood my post but that's mostly my fault.

Looking back at it, my answer to evilc's question is way off track compared to the rest of the thread. Criticizing policies, quality control, etc. is of course fair game. He was asking about social media rumpswabs and I was offering my opinion on their psyche. I fully believe what I wrote but it's positioned weird in this thread.

this is idiotic at this point... i've had so many different types of growlers filled there over the last year and a half due to (as stated above) ever-fluctuating policy. only their growlers - then other breweries are OK back to only their growlers then the addition of non-brewery growlers (such as whole foods)

the problem i see from this is not only the purchase of the glass from TH... but the fact that half the time when i need a 1L they're out. i stop at whole foods and walk in and just buy an empty 1L if i know i'm headed to TH in the next day or so for growler fills... just to be safe. i'm not even saving any money, the WF growlers are the same price. i just want to ensure i'll be able to fill my 1L. Lord knows i'll never get through a 2L before it goes flat.
Next time get the 1L filled at WF, you will feel a lot better about yourself.

"Why-a you-a make-a me do this, Ruperto? I no want to hit you." - Stewie

I've gotten burned out on the growler fight. I haven't filled anything locally in six months unless someone requested it in a trade. Which reminds me, I'm getting some CLR this weekend and sanding off my Tired Hands, Hill Farmstead, Drake's, and all but one or two RR growlers. If I can't fill it at your place... Your loss, not mine. I'll keep my money.
Drakes, Faction, Cellarmaker, SARA, Bruery and Societe are really the only places I'll give my money to anymore for growlers. And Societe is a bit anal with the blank growler rule, but I have SS ones from them so I don't mind too much. I'll also make a growler exception for Alpine. Won't bother with RR or other breweries refusing to take blanks. I have too many growlers as it is

Back