'Tis the Season for Eggnog!

Help Support Talkbeer:

Any Eggnog fans here? I'd love to share some recipes for the holidays. Do you buy a carton at the store or make your own?

I haven't found anything in the store that I like so I gravitate towards making my own. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
3 ounces bourbon (your choice. I use Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (not ground nutmeg. Use the nut and a Microplane)
4 egg whites

Directions
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add 1/3 cup of sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites and vanilla bean paste in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

Note: For cooked eggnog, follow procedure below.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean paste and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

I've only made my own eggnog once, but it was 10x better than anything i've bought from a store so I'd like to attempt it again.

One question about your recipe: What's the purpose of the cooked version (if not for pasteurization, since the whites are still raw)?

n00b question--i see the EW eggnog all over the place at like $9--is it any good? worth trying?
Never tried it. But I've never had a good store-bought eggnog.

I've only made my own eggnog once, but it was 10x better than anything i've bought from a store so I'd like to attempt it again.

One question about your recipe: What's the purpose of the cooked version (if not for pasteurization, since the whites are still raw)?
I suppose I should amend that. The whites can be cooked if you beat them to stiff peaks over boiling water. I have to admit, I've never done the cooked version so that part was mostly made up. It was there to point out that you should not add the alcohol to the mixture before boiling to avoid the risk of boiling the alcohol out. I can work on a more precise recipe if you're interested. I'm now thinking that incorporating the whole egg when cooking would work. Then I would reserve the heavy cream from the mixture and whip it into whipped cream then folding that in. That might produce a similar result....

I suppose I should amend that. The whites can be cooked if you beat them to stiff peaks over boiling water. I have to admit, I've never done the cooked version so that part was mostly made up. It was there to point out that you should not add the alcohol to the mixture before boiling to avoid the risk of boiling the alcohol out. I can work on a more precise recipe if you're interested. I'm now thinking that incorporating the whole egg when cooking would work. Then I would reserve the heavy cream from the mixture and whip it into whipped cream then folding that in. That might produce a similar result....
Interesting, thanks!

I make egg nog every year for various family get-togethers. Basic recipe:

12 fresh eggs, separated
1.5 cups of sugar, divided equally
4.5 cups spiced rum (I use Captain Morgan)
1.5 cups bourbon (I use Jim Beam)
4.5 cups whole milk
3 cups heavy cream, divided equally

Directions:

1. Mix half the sugar with the egg yolks
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then mix with the other half of the sugar
3. Slowly mix the yolks into the whites.
4. Slowly mix in the Rum, Milk, and Bourbon.
5. Slowly mix in half the heavy cream.
6. Whip the other half of the heavy cream, then fold it in.

I like to let the nog sit in the fridge for a few days in a milk jug to cure the eggs of any salmonella. I say boo-urns to anyone who cooks their egg nog to try to rid the eggs of any bacteria. Boo-urns also to using pasteurized eggs.

Last edited:
I make egg nog every year for various family get-togethers. Basic recipe:

12 fresh eggs, separated
1.5 cups of sugar, divided equally
4.5 cups spiced rum (I use Captain Morgan)
1.5 cups bourbon (I use Jim Beam)
4.5 cups whole milk
3 cups heavy cream, divided equally

Directions:

1. Mix half the sugar with the egg yolks
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then mix with the other half of the sugar
3. Slowly mix the yolks into the whites.
4. Slowly mix in the Rum, Milk, and Bourbon.
5. Slowly mix in half the heavy cream.
6. Whip the other half of the heavy cream, then fold it in.

I like to let the nog sit in the fridge for a few days in a milk jug to cure the eggs of any salmonella. I say boo-urns to anyone who cooks their egg nog to try to rid the eggs of any bacteria. Boo-urns also to using pasteurized eggs.
I think it's 1/30,000 eggs that have salmonella. Not too concerned.

Latest posts