'Tis the Season for Eggnog!

Help Support Talkbeer:

I'll be making the cooks country version with a little more booze and maybe the Alton Brown version. I also have a 2 yr. Old Ruhlman recipe sitting in the kegerator...

I'll definitely make the Alton Brown version again but I may do the variant where you leave out the dairy and only age the eggs, sugar, and alcohol.

There were some articles I read after making it last year where they said it tastes better having fresh dairy in it but letting the alcohol and eggs sit still mellows out the alcohol.. It may have been a serious eats article where I read it. Let me see if I can find it.

edit: This is the article I'm talking about: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/is-aging-holiday-eggnog-worth-it.html. Kenji does mention there is a Cook's Illustrated article where they mention doing what I suggest above. Lets see if I can find that one.

edit2: Some places also suggest just aging it for 3 weeks instead of months.

Kenji's nog recipe uses the whites. While Alton's Food Network nog recipe uses whites too, his "aged" nog omits them. I've also had pretty bad outcomes from aging nog with whites included, so I wonder if that's part of Kenji's issue.
Alton’s recipe nowadays no longer omits egg whites.
http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

I made a version this year and added the whites forgetting that I left them out last year.

Has anyone followed through aging one of AB’s aged nogs with egg whites for a year? I made two portions, one for this year and one for next. However, since I added whites, I may consume both unless tried and tested here.

Alton’s recipe nowadays no longer omits egg whites.
http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

I made a version this year and added the whites forgetting that I left them out last year.

Has anyone followed through aging one of AB’s aged nogs with egg whites for a year? I made two portions, one for this year and one for next. However, since I added whites, I may consume both unless tried and tested here.
The recipe you linked still omits the egg whites. It's 12 eggs in the ingredients but then you separate them in step 1 and use the whites elsewhere. Unless I'm missing something.

The recipe you linked still omits the egg whites. It's 12 eggs in the ingredients but then you separate them in step 1 and use the whites elsewhere. Unless I'm missing something.
Appreciate it. You’d think it would just say 12 yolks in the ingredient list. Although I’m sure most are more thorough than myself.

Last edited:
Appreciate it. You’d think it would just say 12 yolks in the ingredient list. Although I’m sure most are more thorough than myself.
Yeah presenting your ingredients as 12 eggs and then telling you to only use yolks is pretty bizarre. I'm sure it'll turn out fine but just thinner since you've added a lot of extra liquid to the batch in the whites.

This thread getting bumped does remind me that I should make a half batch for myself though. I really enjoyed having it last year.

I made my batch of the AB Egg Nog a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving. Tried a little sip last night and it is pretty damn amazing. The consistency is perfect and the alcohol flavor is so mellow and great. Instead of doing 1 cup each of bourbon, rum, and cognac I did 2 cups of bourbon and spiced rum. I had read that some people felt it didn't have enough alcohol flavor in it. I think this is something that I will make a double batch of for Christmas and it will be a new Holiday tradition for me. So great! Cheers all!

I made my batch of the AB Egg Nog a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving. Tried a little sip last night and it is pretty damn amazing. The consistency is perfect and the alcohol flavor is so mellow and great. Instead of doing 1 cup each of bourbon, rum, and cognac I did 2 cups of bourbon and spiced rum. I had read that some people felt it didn't have enough alcohol flavor in it. I think this is something that I will make a double batch of for Christmas and it will be a new Holiday tradition for me. So great! Cheers all!
I usually do something pretty similar. I find AB's recipe to be slightly weak and Ruhlman's to be slightly strong so I usually split the difference between the 2.

Maybe has already been discussed, but any issues with not using pasteurized eggs?

Made the Alton Brown recipe and folks are trying to pull the salmonella card.

Maybe has already been discussed, but any issues with not using pasteurized eggs?

Made the Alton Brown recipe and folks are trying to pull the salmonella card.
Egg nog has been made for hundreds of years using egg yolks, sugar, dairy, and madeira/port or liquor and would've probably been a discontinued practice if people were getting sick and dying.

Latest posts