'Tis the Season for Eggnog!

Help Support Talkbeer:

what do you guys recommend as far as rum goes? aside from bacardi and captain morgan, i mean it doesn't have to be anything spectacular just something different with a nice taste

i think im gonna check out kraken

what do you guys recommend as far as rum goes? aside from bacardi and captain morgan, i mean it doesn't have to be anything spectacular just something different with a nice taste

Captain Morgan works fine for me. I've never had Kraken, but it looks like it would work. Definitely go with some sort of spiced rum.

Somewhat related, I would say the less expensive the booze, the better. The qualities that make high end booze high end will be lost in the egg nog in my opinion.

Any spiced rum should be fine (Captain Morgan, Kraken, Gosling's, Pusser's, etc).

I know egg nog season is over... but I really like Promised Land Egg Nog as far as store bought goes. They use actual sugar (I can't have HFCS) and you can see the actual spices in the bottle.

Happy Holidays 2014! Who's making egg nog this yuletide season?

I'm doubling the recipe this year so that I can give some out to friends and neighbors, along with the requisite amount for my wife's family Christmas Party. So four gallons total, which I anticipate will need 3 dozen eggs, two handles of Captain Morgan, a handle of Jim Beam, and a shitload of milk, cream, and sugar. I have a five gallon Cambro bucket that I also use for brining turkey, so I think four gallons is about my max.

Thinking of using quart-sized mason jars to gift this stuff to people. I'd be curious to know if anyone has any alternative ideas.

Preparations begin on Sunday, although I've been mentally preparing for a few weeks now. Look for some pictures Sunday or Monday.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays!

I made a batch of nog to age using Ruhlmann's recipe. Used Old Grand Dad, Myer's dark rum, and Paul Maisson brandy for the booze. Shit is potent. As for store-bought, I really like Organic Valley's. It's super thick and creamy, which is my preference.

ETA: Next up is a batch of Clyde Common's egg nog which uses anejo tequila and amontillado sherry for its booze.

I like my eggnog to not have an overly boozy taste, but I know a lot of people do. Captain Morgan hides pretty well in there. I forgot that I added Brandy last year. I'll have to think through that for this year's recipe.

Any Eggnog fans here? I'd love to share some recipes for the holidays. Do you buy a carton at the store or make your own?

I haven't found anything in the store that I like so I gravitate towards making my own. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
3 ounces bourbon (your choice. I use Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (not ground nutmeg. Use the nut and a Microplane)
4 egg whites

Directions
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add 1/3 cup of sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites and vanilla bean paste in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

Note: For cooked eggnog, follow procedure below.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean paste and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2.html

I'd recognize Alton's eggnog recipe if you wrote it in hieroglyphics I've made it that many times. I will have to try the vanilla bean paste variation next time.

Made my first batch last night.

Michigan thanks for sharing! I've never even thought of this before.

've never had home-made nog, and I'm definitely going to make some. Perhaps tonight.

Full report to follow.
I know I promised this last year but I never got around to it.

I used Michigan's OP [Alton Brown's] recipe. I used E&J XO brandy, C-Mo original, and Elijah Craig 12 Year Small Batch (extra heavy on the booze).

I don't typically like store-bought carton eggnog because it's too thick, but GODDAMMIT this homemade shit is tasty! I even impressed my friends that were initially disgusted with the idea of drinking uncooked eggs (I have no problems with it. Hell, I love balut).

MayorsAssistant and I made another batch tonight. Filled up a swingtop growler of it to keep in the fridge for a few days to mellow. We're going to make another few batches in the next couple days because we're junkies now. Gonna age a growler of it til next year to see how it turns out.

As soon as we crack this growler we're definitely going to try the Black Tuesday blend.

I love you guys. Cheery festivus, merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, happy holidays.

Oh and stupid fatface pug (Mischa) loves it too. We're now referring to it as pug crack. drbenzo you should give some to those pugs in the picture that you refuse to respond to my question about ;)

Latest posts