Top Chef Season 16: Scores and Spoilers

Help Support Talkbeer:

Apparently I can be convinced to run a BIF for almost anything.

So Pack Your Knives and get ready for Season 16 of Top Chef!

Last week, I randomly assigned 9 of us 4 chefs each (including the 3 chefs who returned from prior seasons and start in Last Chance Kitchen).

We are using the scoring outlined here
http://topchef.realityfantasyleague.com/rules

And I'm tracking things here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ygaWiMi8a5zdueHA9CbwZv98luqCwVVLfBZUh6CXL4Q/edit?usp=sharing

Please point out any scoring errors. I'm not sure I can be trusted o_O

As far as shipping deadlines go - I think the season will end some time in March, so let's plan on a shipping deadline ~1 month after the final episode.

• 5 boxes to overall winner (winner does not ship)
  • 1 box to the runner up (winner does not ship)
  • 1 box to the team that has the most total Last Chance Kitchen wins. If there's a tie, I'll use total elimination challenge wins, and then quick fire wins if needed. (winner of this box will ship, unless this chef is also the overall winner or runner up)
Losers will send at least 66oz of beer to the winner(s). We'll draft as follows
  • Winner picks 3
  • Runner up picks 1
  • Booby prize winner picks 1
  • Winner gets the remaining 2

FAQ regarding how I enforce shipping deadlines
What happens if I missed the deadline?
Please don't.

Alright, but what if I did?
Did you say you were going to miss the deadline?
-If no, you'll be getting neutral feedback if we haven't heard from you by the Friday after the shipping deadline.
-If yes, I will hold you to the updated ETA you provided and do the same thing - neutral feedback 2 days after your ETA.

So now I have neutral feedback and haven't shipped...
I'll send the obligatory "hope all is well, but are you ever going to ship?" message/email/text.
At some point, your neutral feedback will get revised to negative if you don't ship.

Yeah, well when will you do that? We all know you're too nice and scared that once someone gets negative feedback they'll just bail entirely!
Not sure! Have you been keeping us in the loop? Have you been on TB and just ignoring this obligation? Have you stopped logging into TB entirely? Still going to use my poor discretion on this one, but at least your neutral feedback will provide some warning to anyone who wants to deal with you going forward.

It's winter and I'm shipping to (insert TB-er living in the arctic circle here) and his state is zero degrees for the next 10 days!
Please plan to ship early so you can find the best shipping window weather-wise. If you wait until the deadlines above, I will still hold you to whatever revised ETA you provide.

I thought the quickfire challenge this week was pretty interesting. They didn't announce the winner until judging the actual challenge, so the person with immunity didn't know until after they served their dish. While watching I thought it was annoying because I wanted to know who won, but at least it encourages a full effort from each contestant.

If they knew who won the quickfire it might have allowed the teams to allocate their spending more efficiently for the challenge. WTF was this dude thinking spending $540 on lamb!?

I thought the quickfire challenge this week was pretty interesting. They didn't announce the winner until judging the actual challenge, so the person with immunity didn't know until after they served their dish. While watching I thought it was annoying because I wanted to know who won, but at least it encourages a full effort from each contestant.

If they knew who won the quickfire it might have allowed the teams to allocate their spending more efficiently for the challenge. WTF was this dude thinking spending $540 on lamb!?
The other team also had lamb. I have so many questions about how he was able to get it and not ruin the team's budget.

The other team also had lamb. I have so many questions about how he was able to get it and not ruin the team's budget.
My assumption was they just purchased less. If you look at the portion served, it definitely didn't seem like it needed to be $540 worth of rack. I get that its the second episode and they're still learning how to compete but man was that a rookie move. Overall though I really liked the challenge - definitely need some of that bourbon/bacon hoecake. Actually...need all the burbinz.

Happy to see Carrie killing it still! I was a bit concerned as she was cooking but glad she took another W. They need to get her back in the regular competition tho.

Latest posts