Transient Artisan Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandark

Reaction score
Anybody try his stuff yet? I got to generously sample about 6 or 7 of Chris' beers--all saisons and one imperial stout--last night and they were all really good to excellent. The saisons were beautiful, each with their own unique character, ranging in style from fairly traditional to hoppy to funky to sour to a black rye with an oatmeal stout-like smoothness. The imperial stout was full and rich with deep complexity.

He's very interested in open and spontaneous fermentation, and in creating "living" beers that will stand up to some age. He's brewing at One Trick Pony where they let him create on their equipment and based on what I had last night this has huge potential. He's also been gathering various barrels and is looking to brew more sours.

Here's a great write up on his appearance at GI's recent Belgian Fest in case you missed it: http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2013/09/09/a-dark-horse-at-goose-islands-belgian-fest

His beers were very interesting at Belgianfest. He's running out of One Trick, right?
Yeah, he's a brewer there. We had some good conversations last night, and I was impressed with his passion and knowledge. Also, his generosity: he brought three kegs, a few bombers and some 12oz bottles to a bottle share of about 15 people! He even filled my swingtop growler so I could bring home his sourmash saison to share with my wife. I really look forward to seeing where goes from here.

Deep cut that held up pretty great. We had the other Presque variants at the First Anniversary of Bridgman taproom and they weren't anywhere near as good as this one.

IMG_20200229_233824.jpg

Not pictured, but we had Taweret and a bunch of 2-4 year old 500ml bottles last weekend. The Taweret was still a big gusher, but tasted good. The other stuff didn't really hold up. Got super sour for the most part. Old Maigres, Salariums, and Ardents.

SecretSquirrel

Back