Travel in Catalunya and Spain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Red Viper

Reaction score
I didn't see another thread about Spain, so...

I'll be in a number of cities in Catalunya and Spain over the next few weeks (Barcelona, Valencia, Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, Madrid). I'll probably spend more time exploring sherry, vermouth, and other wine than beer while I'm there, but I'm interested in any recommendations folks have for beer too--probably more interested in exploring local beers than places to buy Cantillon or something like that (although if something like St. Lam would be available somewhere, interested in that too). Looking for recommendations for bars that usually have a wide variety of local stuff on draft (especially in smaller portion sizes for more easy sampling), and also for breweries that bottle to look out for--I'm not planning to bring a ton of beer back from this trip, but it would be fun to grab a bottle from a local brewery in each city to share with some friends when I get back or something (don't need to be world class beers, just interesting and local).

For that matter, it's a little off topic but I'd also appreciate recommendations for sherry and vermouth and Rioja and things like that, bottles I could get and bring back that aren't available in the U.S.

Only feedback is Barcelona is an awesome city. People, food, art, sights, etc.

Not sure if your travels allow you time to visit the Basque region, but anytime I get a chance to I must say go to San Sebastian. North east corner of the country, sitting on the Atlantic, and borders France. The town is small with two great beaches. One for surfing and the other for sitting on your ass. Some of the best restaurants I have been to, both inexpensive and multiple Michelin stars are in the city (highest concentration of them within a certain area).

http://www.sansebastianturismo.com/en/eat/michelin-stars

Lots of outdoor stuff to do nearby and nearby town of Bilboa has a beatiful Guggenheim museum.

jtmartino can confirm all this, too.

Barcelona:

BierCab is great for both local beer and food. They use Digital Pour's setup so you can see what's on tap. They've got a bottle shop next door with a great selection of Spanish craft breweries, and yes there are normally Loons available if you really want them

Garage Beer Company is just up the street from BierCab and I liked the one beer I had from them on a quick stop in. Cool space.

There's a bottle shop at Placa Del Sol (open air gathering spot surrounded by restaurants). Grab some local offerings and have one to drink on the steps.

Naparbier, La Pirata and Monsieur Gordo were probably my favorite Spanish breweries. I had two different Pirata IPAs and their Imperial Stout and found all three to be top notch.

For food, La Pepita was fantastic.

Granada:

Cafe Pub Amsterdam is the best craft beer bar in town. No taps, but a great selection of local cans and bottles.

Tasca el Conde is a great little tapas place that had some local craft bottles available. We also had good food at Taberna La Tana and La Botilleria.

Have a great time, eat tons of ham and also enjoy the cheap Estrella and wine available everywhere.

Last edited:
Ok, first, something polemical. Catalunya IN Spain. And let's go

Barcelona:
Biercab. A must. 30 taps and great food. With a bottle shop (Biercab Shop)
Garage Co. Close to Biercab. Local beer on tap. Food as well.
NaparBCN. Close to Biercab as well. Naparbier (Spain brewery) brewpub. Impressive place with food menu more elaborated (but more expensive)
Mikkeller Bar and BrewDog Pub. Same zone. Both well known
Abirradero. Brewpub
Lambicus. Bottle shop with some on tap. You can find Cantillon here, but expensive.
Beerlinale. New site. 30 taps and kitchen non stop.

Madrid:
Irreale. 12 taps
La Tape. Taps and food.
L'Europe. Very classic site. With food.
Taproom. 25 taps. For me, a lot of taps but few variety in styles.
Fabrica Maravillas. BrewPub
Madriz hop Republic. BrewPub
Mad Brewing. Brewpub. Away form city center, but very interesting. Nice food.
Chinaski. 18 taps. No food.
Be Hoppy. Bottleshop
Cervezorama. Bottleshop
La Tienda de la cerveza. bottleshop with 6 taps
Labirratorium. Bottleshop

Valencia:
Olhops and Valencia On tap.

For wine, don't forget Ribera del Duero (not only Rioja in Spain, hehe). For wine I think you can find more variety in Madrid (Both, rioja and Ribera de Duero)

Cheers!

Ok, first, something polemical. Catalunya IN Spain.

Well, it's a little more complicated than that--obviously it's part of the Spanish state (for now) but Catalunya is not Spanish/Castilian ethnically--plus Andorra is Catalan and arguably part of Southern France is Catalan too. A majority of Catalan people including the ones I know don't really identify politically/nationally as Spanish and support independence. So it depends on whether you're talking about current legal borders or ethnic territories or something else. In any case, just as I wouldn't usually refer to Northern Ireland as Britain or to Puerto Rico as the United States, I try to be more specific than "Spain" when talking about Catalunya or Basque Country. (Not trying to get too political here--Catalan nationalism spans across the political spectrum anyway.)

Back to beer: thanks all for the recommendations. I won't have time to visit more than a couple of these places but I'll definitely go to Biercab (which is near my hotel and looks like a great draft selection) and maybe to the breweries nearby.

Last edited:
Well, it's a little more complicated than that--obviously it's part of the Spanish state (for now) but Catalunya is not Spanish/Castilian ethnically (and arguably part of Southern France is Catalan...). A majority of Catalan people including the ones I know don't really identify politically/nationally as Spanish and support independence. So it depends on whether you're talking about current legal borders or ethnic territories or something else. In any case, just as I wouldn't usually refer to Northern Ireland as Britain or to Puerto Rico as the United States, I try to be more specific than "Spain" when talking about Catalunya or Basque Country. (Not trying to get too political here--Catalan nationalism spans across the political spectrum anyway.)

Back to beer: thanks all for the recommendations. I won't have time to visit more than a couple of these places but I'll definitely go to Biercab (which is near my hotel and looks like a great draft selection) and maybe to the breweries nearby.

Cafe Pub Amsterdam is really the only game in town in Granada. It's in the city center, too, so it won't take much time to visit. That's where I discovered Monsieur Gordo.

And by the way right now I'm camping at a farm in rural Catalunya, near Cànoves (long story), and the only beer sold at the makeshift bar here is Moritz. So until I get to Barcelona on Saturday, Moritz it is...

If you do decide to drop by San Sebastian, let me know.
In the meantime, enjoy Bcn, and here´s my wine tips:
Mauro: from the Ribera del Duero region, costs about 25€ a bottle and ages really well. Fruity, typically Spanish taste but very refined.
Belondrade & Lurton: One of my favourite wines, made in the Rueda region from 100% verdejo grapes. It´s silky, subtle with flowery vanilla notes, delicious summer drink. Costs around 25€ aswell.
Martínez Alesanco Reserva 2012: Currently the best tasting Rioja I´ve tried. Loads of dark fruit flavours, blackcurrants and cherries. The wood/vanilla notes remind me of bourbon. And the best part is, it only costs 10€ a bottle!

Cheers!

Nice info. I'm heading to Spain in December so this is relevant to my interests.
giphy.gif

If you do decide to drop by San Sebastian, let me know.
In the meantime, enjoy Bcn, and here´s my wine tips:
Mauro: from the Ribera del Duero region, costs about 25€ a bottle and ages really well. Fruity, typically Spanish taste but very refined.
Belondrade & Lurton: One of my favourite wines, made in the Rueda region from 100% verdejo grapes. It´s silky, subtle with flowery vanilla notes, delicious summer drink. Costs around 25€ aswell.
Martínez Alesanco Reserva 2012: Currently the best tasting Rioja I´ve tried. Loads of dark fruit flavours, blackcurrants and cherries. The wood/vanilla notes remind me of bourbon. And the best part is, it only costs 10€ a bottle!

Cheers!
Where can you find the Martinez Alesanco Reserva in Madrid? Or is it not possible?

In Madrid: Lavinia and La Tintoria would be your best bets. Lavinia is huge.

botella_belondrade_y_lurton2.png
Thats the Belondrade & Lurton, it is a rueda.

I went to Lavinia early August, they didn't have the Rioja you mentioned, did have the blue label Belondrade but not the specific one you posted there.

In Madrid: Lavinia and La Tintoria would be your best bets. Lavinia is huge.

botella_belondrade_y_lurton2.png
Thats the Belondrade & Lurton, it is a rueda.
We went to Carlota, bought these instead:

Wvew8Sw.jpg

Awesome store and the guy was really great. Giving the Garnacha as a gift and drinking the Rias Baixas when we get home.

Ok, first, something polemical. Catalunya IN Spain. And let's go

Madrid:
Irreale. 12 taps
La Tape. Taps and food.
L'Europe. Very classic site. With food.
Taproom. 25 taps. For me, a lot of taps but few variety in styles.
Fabrica Maravillas. BrewPub
Madriz hop Republic. BrewPub
Mad Brewing. Brewpub. Away form city center, but very interesting. Nice food.
Chinaski. 18 taps. No food.
Be Hoppy. Bottleshop
Cervezorama. Bottleshop
La Tienda de la cerveza. bottleshop with 6 taps
Labirratorium. Bottleshop

Cheers!

Heading to Madrid for one day/night later this month. Staying in the city centre.
I think I just read Cervezorama just closed its doors. Bummer.

Recommendations from this list that is close to Centro?

Heading to Madrid for one day/night later this month. Staying in the city centre.
I think I just read Cervezorama just closed its doors. Bummer.

Recommendations from this list that is close to Centro?

Yes, Cervezorama closed :(
Close to Centro you have the new Mahou/Founders site, El Sainete. Just opened. 22 taps. Calle Segovia 8
Mad Cafe, Calle de la Cava Alta, 13 (the best burguers and craft beer menu)
Chinaski
La Tienda de la Cerveza (bottle shop)

sunnrider will have to get some San Sebastián recommendations from you at some point. Heading to Spain this summer for a wedding; doing Madrid, San Sebastián and Valliodid. Traveling with friends, but they're doing Arzak one night and my wife is a picky eater. Tasting menus don't make sense.

Been drinking a bunch of wine from Ribera del Duero lately and really enjoying them. Neighbor is from Valliodid, so has been bringing a bunch back.

sunnrider will have to get some San Sebastián recommendations from you at some point. Heading to Spain this summer for a wedding; doing Madrid, San Sebastián and Valliodid. Traveling with friends, but they're doing Arzak one night and my wife is a picky eater. Tasting menus don't make sense.

Been drinking a bunch of wine from Ribera del Duero lately and really enjoying them. Neighbor is from Valliodid, so has been bringing a bunch back.

I´ll be happy to help you out. The local beer scene is very healthy at the moment, lots of bars and taprooms to choose from.
And the Ribera wines are world class.

I haven't travelled from Bcn to Brussels but flying would be the best way to go.
You can get round trip flights from Vueling or Ryanair to Brussels for about 75€ in June. (the Ryanair airport is further away)

Eurail would take longer.

Also open to suggestions for Madrid/San Sebastian/Valladolid. Will be there in July. My buddy is from Valladolid, so I'm sure he'll have plenty of suggestions as well.

San Sebastian

Best part of our trip to Spain. We are going back next year with the kid, we loved it so much.

We stayed in Gros, right across from the beach. Every pinchos spot was excellent. Our favorite was A Fuego Negro: http://www.afuegonegro.com/?lang=en. Lots of higher end spots, Michelin rate, but did not go.

Also, take the bus/car to Bilboa to check out the Guggenheim.

Also open to suggestions for Madrid/San Sebastian/Valladolid. Will be there in July. My buddy is from Valladolid, so I'm sure he'll have plenty of suggestions as well.

Valladolid
- Roots (only 4 taps, but always top beers)
- Vacceo (brewpub style)
- Breguer (13 taps)

If you need or look for something in Valladolid and I can help you, tell me :)

I'll be in Valencia for a few days in November. Madrid for a day before I fly back.

Any spots for Whiskey/beer/good food in Valencia that are a must? I've never been to Spain.

sunnrider I remember we had a brief back and forth about my upcoming trip to Spain. We decided to skip on leaving Spain for Brussels and instead take a trip to Bilbao/San Sebastian. Kind of came to this conclusion based on a few things, partly because of the high remarks from The Ryan, and partly because traveling to another country for beer seemed too much a hassle when already in a great place for food and drink.

Any suggestions for San Sebastian? Plan to spend Monday and Tuesday night in San Sebastian and Wednesday night in Bilbao before flying back to BCN. Dates are Apr 2-Apr 5, which I know Apr 2 is a part of high holiday for Easter in Spain. I'm already figuring most things will be closed that Monday, hence why we made it a travel day.

Would love to meet for pintxos or something while in the Basque mountain area!

sunnrider I remember we had a brief back and forth about my upcoming trip to Spain. We decided to skip on leaving Spain for Brussels and instead take a trip to Bilbao/San Sebastian. Kind of came to this conclusion based on a few things, partly because of the high remarks from The Ryan, and partly because traveling to another country for beer seemed too much a hassle when already in a great place for food and drink.

Any suggestions for San Sebastian? Plan to spend Monday and Tuesday night in San Sebastian and Wednesday night in Bilbao before flying back to BCN. Dates are Apr 2-Apr 5, which I know Apr 2 is a part of high holiday for Easter in Spain. I'm already figuring most things will be closed that Monday, hence why we made it a travel day.

Would love to meet for pintxos or something while in the Basque mountain area!

I actually live in the middle of San Sebastian, the mountains is just where I ride my bike ;)

Monday and Tuesday are good nights to check out the food scene, although some places close, the ones that are open will be more relaxed than at the weekend and the pintxos will be better. With only two days, I´d stay around and check out the beaches, shops and food in La Parte Vieja and Gros. Maybe head up to Monte Igueldo on the funicular, the views are worth it.

Definitely up for a few pintxos and beers .

My wife and I are doing a Barcelona trip in December, any new stuff in the year+ this thread has been inactive? I already added the various bars/breweries mentioned above to my list, but I assume some new stuff has come up. I could also use some advice on the dining scene, it seems dumb to go there and not try to do any of the Michelin restaurants, but I'm not sure how to prioritize given the sheer number... Unfortunately none of my foodie friends have been recently, so they're no help.

My wife and I are doing a Barcelona trip in December, any new stuff in the year+ this thread has been inactive? I already added the various bars/breweries mentioned above to my list, but I assume some new stuff has come up. I could also use some advice on the dining scene, it seems dumb to go there and not try to do any of the Michelin restaurants, but I'm not sure how to prioritize given the sheer number... Unfortunately none of my foodie friends have been recently, so they're no help.

Here's a thread from a Chicago foodie forum I frequent with some recent-ish input...and looks like at the same time of year last year: https://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44725

Also, I've heard nothing but good things about Tickets, as far as higher end places go.

Here's a thread from a Chicago foodie forum I frequent with some recent-ish input...and looks like at the same time of year last year: https://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44725

Also, I've heard nothing but good things about Tickets, as far as higher end places go.
I've had Tickets come up a number of times, put it on the list. A friend just opened a 2011 LPK he got at BierCab when he was in Barcelona a few years back, that and my wife's passport coming today have me pretty excited. I need to buckle down and nail down some reservations etc.

ETA: Oh man they did Figueres, I really want to go there and do the Dali museum but my wife really wants to do montserrat and I'm not sure we can do both...

Back