Travel to Scandinavia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenrikO

Reaction score
Hi guys, just opening this thread in case anyone's planning a trip to Scandinavia. Happy to answer questions, plan bottle shares, etc. I'm reasonably well informed about the beer scene in Sweden, and I visit Oslo and Copenhagen semi-regularly (Finland's more of a blind spot though).

I posted in the off topic thread about this, so I thought I'd add something here.

We went ahead and pounced on some cheap tickets to Copenhagen, home via Stockholm, for travel in October.

Would be happy to receive any tips on these two places. (Doesn't have to be beer related either.)

Thanks!

Most of the time I go to Copenhagen for beer-related reasons so I don't know very much about other tourist attractions...

Nørrebro is definitely the preferred area of town if you want to go out to eat and drink. You have Mikkeller & Friends (has a decent cellar with at least a few vintage lambics at any given time, plus a bottle shop that usually carries a few different 'loons and good locals), Nørrebro Bryghus, and Ölbaren (a tiny space with a great selection and significantly less hipster than Mikkeller & Friends) for beer and all within walking distance of each other. Just around the corner from Nørrebro Bryghus you have Barking Dog which is THE best cocktail bar in Copenhagen (pricey though).

Jægersborggade (a street) is fantastic for foodies, you have Coffee Collective, Grød and Relæ, all excellent, Relæ has the cheapest Michelin-starred food you can get in Copenhagen. Nearby Manfreds also has great food. The big Copenhagen food hall, Torvehallene, is also in Nørrebro, I think Grød has a spot there, too, and Gorm's Pizza makes great artisanal pizza.

Near the Central Station you also have a cool beery area, beer bars Mikkeller Bar on Viktoriagade and Fermentoren at Halmtorvet and bottle shops Ölbutikken on Istedgade and Kioskh at Sønder Boulevard. Kioskh in particular is an experience, a dinky little convenience store that has four fridges of craft beer and a semi-secret basement (you may have to ask) full of crazy stuff - a lot of it is US imports and thus may not be of interest, but I've found vintage Fou Foune once in that basement so I keep coming back... Also a good source for Danish craft (there's more to it than Mikkeller and his brother, you know - Amager Bryghus are doing some great stuff right now, and definitely get some beers from newcomer Flying Couch if you can).

As for Stockholm, I don't know how much time you have, but Akkurat is a must. Their cellar (full of vintage/whale lambics and a lot of other stuff besides) is out of this world and one of the reasons this is one of the world's top beer bars. Also, you can always get at least one fresh Cantillon on tap.

As for other things, I would recommend the Vasa Museum (http://www.vasamuseet.se) even though it is kinda touristy. It's a more-or-less perfectly-preserved 17th century battleship that they've build a museum around, and you can walk around parts of the battleship, see the insides etc. And 17th century battleships are cool!

Gamla Stan (Old Town) is also touristy but I like it because I'm a history buff, most of the buildings are original 17th century, there are cool narrow alleyways, cobblestones, the Royal Castle etc etc and if you like whiskey you can hit Ardbeg Embassy on Västerlånggatan.

If you need a more detailed list of beer places, just holler and I'll get some links together.

As for Stockholm, I don't know how much time you have, but Akkurat is a must. Their cellar (full of vintage/whale lambics and a lot of other stuff besides) is out of this world and one of the reasons this is one of the world's top beer bars. Also, you can always get at least one fresh Cantillon on tap.

As for other things, I would recommend the Vasa Museum (http://www.vasamuseet.se) even though it is kinda touristy. It's a more-or-less perfectly-preserved 17th century battleship that they've build a museum around, and you can walk around parts of the battleship, see the insides etc. And 17th century battleships are cool!

Gamla Stan (Old Town) is also touristy but I like it because I'm a history buff, most of the buildings are original 17th century, there are cool narrow alleyways, cobblestones, the Royal Castle etc etc and if you like whiskey you can hit Ardbeg Embassy on Västerlånggatan.

If you need a more detailed list of beer places, just holler and I'll get some links together.

Very helpful! Thank you!

The initial plan is 3 nights or so in each place.

Vasa is so cool - I went there when I was like 10, so awesome. I need to come back to Scandanavia and drink....

Headed to Sweden this fall for a wedding, will definitely be stopping by this thread before finalizing any plans!

i travel to Göteborg every year to visit my fiancee's family and friends. during my last visit, i ran across this sweet bar downtown called "3 små rum." i instantly fell in love with this bar when i heard Vince Guaraldi's - "Green Dolphin Street" playing in the background...while i was taking my seat. its an underground bar and has a sweet dusty, somewhat rustic...cozy feel. Reza, the owner, is a very awesome guy. we shared beer stories and he hooked me up with a bottle of dugges idjit to take home. needless to say...i will drink at this bar every time i visit.

We'll be in Oslo on May 15th and 16th then heading to Bergen for a night before embarking on about a week of hiking and camping in southeast Norway. We'll be staying near the central train station in Oslo, any recomendations for food and beer would be greatly appreciated.

i travel to Göteborg every year to visit my fiancee's family and friends. during my last visit, i ran across this sweet bar downtown called "3 små rum." i instantly fell in love with this bar when i heard Vince Guaraldi's - "Green Dolphin Street" playing in the background...while i was taking my seat. its an underground bar and has a sweet dusty, somewhat rustic...cozy feel. Reza, the owner, is a very awesome guy. we shared beer stories and he hooked me up with a bottle of dugges idjit to take home. needless to say...i will drink at this bar every time i visit.
3 Små Rum has had Kaggen! and '08-'09 regular Stormaktsporter available for drink-in if you ask nicely, though they may have run out by now.

3 Små Rum has had Kaggen! and '08-'09 regular Stormaktsporter available for drink-in if you ask nicely, though they may have run out by now.

Know of any places in Stockholm that might have Kaggen? Hitting Akkurat for the Konjakks and would love to try its brother if at all possible.

Know of any places in Stockholm that might have Kaggen? Hitting Akkurat for the Konjakks and would love to try its brother if at all possible.
Sorry for the late reply (probably too late now). To my knowledge all the Kaggen in "official" circulation in Sweden is out; Bishops Arms Folkungagatan was the last place to have some, I think. Might be worth asking there after all. I would ask at Oliver Twist also, they sometimes keep things around but off the menu.

soooooo i'm not sure if there's anyone on here that can help me.... but i'm going to reykjavik in 2 weeks and looking for ideas (other than the new-ish mikkeller bar). any help would be greatly appreciated!

anyone know of anything worth picking up, whiskey wise, at the duty free? if there's anything? blanton's gold? barrel proof?

soooooo i'm not sure if there's anyone on here that can help me.... but i'm going to reykjavik in 2 weeks and looking for ideas (other than the new-ish mikkeller bar). any help would be greatly appreciated!
Let me **** you up with the nicest people you'll ever meet. Pmed

Just saw pics of the Akkurat bottle list...dear lord, one day is not enough time in that place. I have no idea what I'm gonna do.

nsr.gif

Attn: all 3 Scandinavians on this forum: I'll also be in CPH the week of September 7, so if anyone wants to hit up Mikkeller or elsewhere in the city, let me know!

I'm going to be away that day, but contact jisak74 and Zeilon , great guys who I'm sure would be up for sharing a bottle or six!
I'll be there Aug 31st and Sept 1 if anyone's around? They're no lambic but I have Assassin, BVDL, Mornin Delight, Hunahpu, Mexican Cake, etc if anyone's interested in stout drinking or trading? jisak74 Zeilon HenrikO

Bump.

Wife will be on a work trip to Stockholm in late-March. Asked if I wanted to tag along and it took me a few seconds to realize I could spend my time at Akkurat while she is working. Finalizing travel details over the next few weeks, but if anyone is down for some tip touching I have delicate hands. Will bring beer too for some bottle sharing.

This thread and a few others will come in handy.

Bump.

Wife will be on a work trip to Stockholm in late-March. Asked if I wanted to tag along and it took me a few seconds to realize I could spend my time at Akkurat while she is working. Finalizing travel details over the next few weeks, but if anyone is down for some tip touching I have delicate hands. Will bring beer too for some bottle sharing.

This thread and a few others will come in handy.
Gonna make an effort to come to Stockholm for this, Ryan!
With some luck bottles of Cantillon Super Blend and Soleil Batch 3 will still be available for drink-in at Akkurat.
There are several other good beer places in town but if you want to dome those 'loons...

Gonna make an effort to come to Stockholm for this, Ryan!
With some luck bottles of Cantillon Super Blend and Soleil Batch 3 will still be available for drink-in at Akkurat.
There are several other good beer places in town but if you want to dome those 'loons...

All that sounds very good!

I was wondering if my timing for the anniversary beer(s) would work out. Hopefully they are still around.

Going to start saving my pennies for the bottle list.

Back