Travel to Trondheim and Helsinki

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scramin85

Reaction score
Hey Everybody. I'm a brewer from Denver Colorado traveling to trondheim norway and helskinki finland the week of July 21-28. We will brewing at to tarn/two towers brewery and will be in trondheim through the 24th or 25th and then finishing out the trip in helsinki and going to a beer festival there.

This is a work trip so will probably have to stick to the schedule they have me. I've already done a fair amount of research but just wanted to reach out and see if anybody has any new recommendations for either city. What are the must hits and must misses, food/ other types of booze i should try? I'd like to drink as much local beer as possible but also curious if there is lambic anywhere as well. If anybody wants to try to get a beer that would be awesome too!

Skål and Kippis!

I didn't do any beer things in Trondheim and didn't really have more than a few hours there, but I'd recommend:

Nidaros Cathedral
Archbishop's Palace
Dromedar Kaffebar
This place looks good: http://www.folkogfe-bistro.no/

We thought Helsinki kinda sucked when we visited, but it was in November and there was maybe like 6 hours of sunlight. I would recommend going to Olutravintola Pikkulintu for the best selection of local beers. It's a little ways out of the actual downtown area, so pay attention how to get there via public transportation. Don't waste your time going to One Pint Pub, place ****ing sucks and the owner there is a POS.

We loved Helsinki, even in February. People are incredibly (and genuinely) nice...the nicest in Europe we've encountered in 3 years of living here. If you like seafood, dive right in. Don't skip the reindeer dishes either. If you have time, the sea fortress is great to see, via ferry.

+1 on Olutravintola Pikkulintu, although found the beer to be meh (didn't ask about lambic), was still a treat to try their local stuff. If you are a whisky fan, specifically scotch, you'll really appreciate OP. Very reasonably priced too.

Welcome to Finland!

Pikkulintu is an interesting place but the offering varies pretty much. One day you might find extremely cool stuff there, while the other day, there might be nothing of interest. One Pint Pub has lots going on and have their own imports so you will for sure find beers from smaller breweries, both Finnish and Baltic, Nordics, Poland etc. There are usually lambics in both places but very rare ones not so often anymore (or I've been out of luck when visiting).

There are also more modern places like Brewdog Bar (typical Brewdog tap list + guest beers that can often be very interesting) and Sori Taproom (American style taproom with both Sori Brewing beers and rotating guest beers, probably the best place for fresh hoppy beers at all times). Tommyknocker bar has a small venue and a number of taps with focus on US beers (great service and centrally located) and Stadin Panimo (own brewery products and flights + probably the best Belgian bottle selection around) which lies about 10 min metro trip from city centre.

Shoot me a PM if interested to hear more and especially if you're looking for trading (I have plenty of lambics and European beers).

Cheers!

Back