Traveling to Columbus, OH...looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialking1

Reaction score
I was looking up breweries in Columbus and see there's around 10 of them and I'm wondering which ones are mandatory stops. I'm a big Mead lover so I'm planning on going to Brothers Drake so far. Also looking for any good bottle shops as well. Any tips would be appreciated.

Truthfully: none. Columbus brewing is far and away the best but they don't own the associated restaurant, and you can find their stuff at any decent bar. Don't leave columbus without drinking bodhi. Weilands and barrel and bottle are probably my two favorite shops but there are a lot of good ones. Brothers drake is a definite must stop. There is a Columbus travel thread that Envelopes made that's much more in detail.

While it's true that Columbus breweries seems to be lagging behind creatively (we aren't even jumping on trends - not a shitty "sour" or gose in sight) I wouldn't say that there aren't any worth stopping into. You are probably better off going to bars rather than breweries, though.

If I did want to stop in a few breweries I'd start with Seventh Son. They do interesting casks on Wednesday nights and have a food truck around most of the time. Of all the breweries that have opened in the last few years I think they're the one with the most potential. Really nice space to.

Also, I still haven't been in but Zauber has a really nice looking space and they seem to be doing good things.

I'd probably skip Four String, North High and Elevator.

And yeah, hit this thread up for some more info:
http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/columbus-oh-travel-thread.1651/

Columbus Brewing Company is awesome, but the brewpub is a bit of a letdown. Luckily, Bodhi is on tap at a lot of bars, so you should definitely be able to try it. The Daily Growler is a pretty cool place (https://www.thedailygrowler.com/), you can try a bunch of local beers there, and fill some growlers with stuff to take home.

Columbus brewing is far and away the best but they don't own the associated restaurant, and you can find their stuff at any decent bar.

I never realized the restaurant wasn't owned by the brewery. I was driving through the south side of Columbus yesterday and wanted to get a few growler fills of bodhi on my way back to MD. About a year and a half ago I stopped at the restaurant and filled 3 growlers. This time they were out of it and they said there's a 1 growler limit when they have it. They directed me to World of Beers just up the street. They had it on tap but said there were only a few pours left in the keg and they wouldn't even fill a 32oz. growler. I called a few other places they suggested and all were out too. The guy at World of Beers mentioned that the restaurant and brewery were operating like a bitterly divorced couple and that the brewery would be opening their own restaurant soon with a much more steady supply of bodhi.

I'm disappointed but hopefully I'll be able to find it fairly easily on future trips.

Back