Urban Legend, Solemn Oath, Buckledown - any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindofBlues711

Reaction score
I'm visiting my parents this weekend in the Western 'burbs of Chicago and these three breweries are nearby. Has anyone had their beers and can give me a recommendation?

Also, what are some good craft beer stores to find local beers besides Binny's, Jewel-Osco and Standard Market? Any must-try local hoppy or sour beers I should try to find?

Thanks!

Where exactly in the Western Burbs are you going to be? There's some other options depending on your location (Noon Whistle, Penrose, Two Brothers)

They're all kind of similar in that nothing will likely blow your mind, but they'll have clean beers that range from ok-good. Out of those three I like Buckledown's space the best. They're all similar in that they're no frills tap rooms. Food options are bring your own or they could potentially have food trucks on site. Solemn Oath is the smallest and usually the busiest. They are also credit card only.

I'm visiting my parents this weekend in the Western 'burbs of Chicago and these three breweries are nearby. Has anyone had their beers and can give me a recommendation?

Also, what are some good craft beer stores to find local beers besides Binny's, Jewel-Osco and Standard Market? Any must-try local hoppy or sour beers I should try to find?

Thanks!

Of those three breweries Buckledown is my favorite. Urban Legend has gone through a bunch of changes over the past 6 months, so to be fair I probably need to revisit their products. I'm not a fan of Solemn Oath's space / beers / or the Naperville policies that they have to abide by.

If you are out in the area I'd suggest checking out Imperial Oak Brewing in Willow Springs IL (corner of Archer and Willow Springs by the Metra line) as it's my personal favorite local brewery.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to be in Clarendon Hills, which is next to Oak Brook/Hinsdale/Westmont. Urban Legend is the closest. I've been to Two Brothers and have had lots of their beers (love their Cane & Abel) over the years. I'll definitely look for some Pipeworks, cool labels.

What are the best beer stores in the area?

Urban Legend isn't bad, but it's not great either. I go there since I live in Westmont and the beer is good, but don't think you need to stop by. Imperial Oak is close by as well, I'll echo Gonzoillini 's recommendation to go there. Beer stores, there's a Binny's off of 83 and 67th ish, another off 83 and north of Oak Brook Mall, Standard Market is off of Ogden and has a decent beer selection and a bar inside so you can get a beer to enjoy.

Edit - the drive to Penrose is well worth it. I'd recommend checking it out over the other breweries you listed. You can hit Solemn Oath, Urban Legend, and Imperial Oak on the way back.

Last edited:
Not sure I'll be able to make it out to Penrose since it's 30 miles away, as Dad might prefer to drive to FFF instead.

Since you live in Wastemont (sorry, couldn't resist - I grew up in CH) are there any small beer stores you'd recommend? Otherwise I'll stick with Binny's/Std Market. Thanks!

Not sure I'll be able to make it out to Penrose since it's 30 miles away, as Dad might prefer to drive to FFF instead.

Since you live in Wastemont (sorry, couldn't resist - I grew up in CH) are there any small beer stores you'd recommend? Otherwise I'll stick with Binny's/Std Market. Thanks!

Eh, Westmont isn't so bad. I grew up on a farm in Central IL and moved here since it's a central location between the wife and my jobs. Hopefully only here a couple more months and we can get into a house we like and put an offer in on.

If you're willing to drive north a bit, there's a Sal's Beverage World on St. Charles Road and 83, I think there's another one on Roosevelt, The Beer Cellar is in Glen Ellyn, and there's a place called Ardmore Station in Villa Park. Out of all of these, I really only go to the Sal's on St. Charles and 83 since it's on my way home from work. Harder to find beers sit there a little longer than Binny's, but the selection isn't as great as Binny's. I don't really head any farther east than Standard Market for beer, so if you're looking for something closer to Clarendon Hills, idunno.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Funny, my Dad grew up on a farm in Southern IL. I lived in the burbs most of my life and miss it, even though it's changed since I've left. I hope to move back in the next few years. Westmont is very different from when I was growing up (in a good way). Good luck, I hope you find a great house someday soon!

Back