Using Money To Rank Beers

Help Support Talkbeer:

Last year I brought up the idea of using donations to rank beers. Today I saw this... let's talk beer! Naturally I thought of you guys.

On Cent you can spend your money on the content. So far $2.04 has been spent on that post about beers. The replies, in this case, are sorted by the amount of money spent on them. The reply at the top is there because I spent 11 cents on it.

No, Cent is not my website... neither is a similar website called Honest Cash (HC). On HC, if you click on a tag, you can see the posts sorted by value, but you can't yet see the replies sorted by value. It's the opposite at Cent.

On both websites money can be used to rank beers. This idea makes a lot of sense to me. If you truly love something, you should be willing to pay to elevate it. From my perspective this is the only way for cream to quickly rise to the top.

What do you guys think?

Brubaker

Triple Double Diamond Platinum Club Member
Last year I brought up the idea of using donations to rank beers. Today I saw this... let's talk beer! Naturally I thought of you guys.

On Cent you can spend your money on the content. So far $2.04 has been spent on that post about beers. The replies, in this case, are sorted by the amount of money spent on them. The reply at the top is there because I spent 11 cents on it.

No, Cent is not my website... neither is a similar website called Honest Cash (HC). On HC, if you click on a tag, you can see the posts sorted by value, but you can't yet see the replies sorted by value. It's the opposite at Cent.

On both websites money can be used to rank beers. This idea makes a lot of sense to me. If you truly love something, you should be willing to pay to elevate it. From my perspective this is the only way for cream to quickly rise to the top.

What do you guys think?
Don't listen to assholes like Photekut and BadJustin. Your ideas have merit and you should keep presenting your case.

BadJustin

Staff member
Contributor
Don't listen to assholes like Photekut and BadJustin. Your ideas have merit and you should keep presenting your case.
Don't listen to this guy.

What do you guys think?
Don't listen to this guy.

I've seen this get done many times...at the beer store, where I use my money to rank beers that I buy above other beers that I don't buy.
Yeah, you already use your money to rank beers. It's the same thing as using your money to rank behavior.

I just noticed that the links in my post were replaced. Lame. But it's not like we have the option on this forum to use our money to rank each other's behavior. Sure, we can cry and complain, and of course leave, but if this method was truly effective at improving each other's behavior, then we really wouldn't need to use our money to rank beers.

Yeah, you already use your money to rank beers. It's the same thing as using your money to rank behavior.

I just noticed that the links in my post were replaced. Lame. But it's not like we have the option on this forum to use our money to rank each other's behavior. Sure, we can cry and complain, and of course leave, but if this method was truly effective at improving each other's behavior, then we really wouldn't need to use our money to rank beers.
ACKSHULLY now that you can buy and gift a supporting membership to other users you can use your money to rank other users' behavior.

ACKSHULLY now that you can buy and gift a supporting membership to other users you can use your money to rank other users' behavior.
If you buy somebody a supporting membership then this certainly counts as substantial feedback, in the sense that you actually had to make a personal sacrifice (spend your money), but the problem is that this feedback isn't very specific, unlike when you buy a beer. You're not rewarding the producer for mowing his lawn, or going to church, or watching football, you're rewarding him for producing a beer that you benefit from. Naturally producers have an incentive to try and produce the most beneficial beers.

On this forum it's possible to "like" a post, doing so certainly counts as specific feedback, the problem is that it isn't substantial. It doesn't cost anything to "like" a post, which means that "likes" can only reveal how popular it is. The result is something like this...
...male Australian jewel beetles are more attracted to brightly coloured, stubby beer bottles than to their female counterparts. In fact, the males find the bottles so attractive that they ignore the females altogether and keep trying to copulate with stubbies until they die in the hot sun or are eaten by ants. - Caspar Henderson, The Attention Trap

jivex5k

VEdKb0lHVnlaMjVsY1hKeElIQm9ZV2M=

If we are using money to rank behavior I'll send you my invoice.

What do you guys think?
I used money to rank your mother last night.

Twice

I used money to rank your mother last night.
My buddy admitted to me that when we were in high school that he had the hots for my mother. I told him that I didn't have the hots for his mother, but I did have the hots for Matt's mother. My buddy agreed that she was hot.

The "Finch's mom" scene was pretty funny.

Latest posts