Vermont trip - August 29 - 31

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkuncle1

Reaction score
Wife asked me where I wanted to go to celebrate my 40th. That was a no brainer for me. Now I am trying to map out the VT trip.

Fly into Burlington Friday night
Drive 30 minutes to Waterbury to eat, drink and sleep
*Thinking Reservoir or Prohibition Pig
Should we stay in Stowe or Waterbury - was thinking www.topnotchresort.com in Stowe
Want to be close to the Waitsfield Farmer's Market

Wake up early Saturday am and drive to the Waitsfield Farmer's Market

Leave the market and head to HF (1hr 30min)
Try to get to heaven around noon and spend a good amount of time there
Maybe hit Parker Pie before HF

Drive back to Waterbury / Stowe
Have dinner at Blackback Pub

Wake up with a nice hangover so we will need some grease or maybe some Heady.
Was thinking one of these places in Waterbury - Juniper's Fare Catering and Cafe or Robert Barral's Cafe Provence on Blush Hill

One full day of drinking so trying to map this out as best as I can. We leave for Montreal the next day (Sunday, August 31)

Hoping that Lawson's will be at Waitsfield's Farmer Market on August 30. for reference purposes: http://www.lawsonsfinest.blogspot.com/

Cheers!

Last edited:
Stay in waterbury. IMO the best part about VT are the taps at the three bars in waterbury. You're going to want to walk home. I always stay at the best western because I don't mind a longer walk.

Three penny in montpillier is a solid stop for lunch or dinner and some beers. Parker Pie is awesome but far.

Lawsons appears to be August 23, not August 30.

I'd consider hitting Lost Nation on the way back from Hill Farmstead.

What time do you fly into Burlington, Friday Night?
You might check out staying in Burlington. The Hotel Vermont http://hotelvt.com/home is pretty swank and Farmhouse Tap & Grill http://www.farmhousetg.com/home.html is always superb for brews.
Do 1 night in BVT, wake up early Sat and drive to Waitsfield.
Or do your Friday night at the Pritcher Inn after dinner @ the Pig.
This way you wake up very close to the Market. My suggestions are to limit your driving as much as possible.
W/e you end up doing Saturday after the market, just keep in mind that these aren't speed runs from Waitsfield to Greensboro. It's why I suggest Hotel VT instead of walking out of Airport, driving to Waterbury...

Skip Stowe all the way unless you're fixed on Top Notch (which is great)...your trip is pretty beer-centric and Stowe doesn't have the same scene as Waterbury...until new places open! ;)

I do suggest hitting Lost Nation on your way back from HF to either Waterbury or Stowe. Parker Pie is pretty awesome, but it's in the opposite direction (kinda) of your hotel/inn options.
Have dinner on Sat at Hen of the Wood (dude, it's your birthday) or save the Pig for Sunday's post hang brunch.

You have a lot of alternatives, including hitting up Farmhouse T&G on Sunday before Montreal, if you decide against staying in Burlington.

Good luck!
Cheers

Iron clad plan. VT trip -- August 29 - Sept 3

Flying into Manchester, NH on Friday night.. staying at a BW.
Driving to Greensboro the next day. Getting to HF by noon
Parker Pie for late lunch
Staying in Stowe.. www.brasslanterninn.com
Checking out Waterbury - Reservoir, Prohibition Pig and then some

Hen of the Wood sounds good as well. Thanks for all the suggestions.

This is going to be an epic time.

With it being Labor Day weekend I would anticipate a pretty decent sized crowd at HF when they open that Saturday. Might want to plan on getting there a bit early so that you can eat lunch at a decent time. There will be a wait any way you slice it but if you get there early you can at least put a bulk of it before noon and before your stomach (and potentially wife) start grumbling.

Last edited:

That Saturday, get to HF by 11:15 at the absolute latest. You'll have a much better time if you're one of the first people in the door when the open, and then can get out there without hours of waiting so you can get to Parker Pie early and then on with the rest of your day. If you get to HF at noon on Saturday of Labor Day weekend, you will wait in line for probably (at least) two hours.

Have fun! Sounds like a great trip.

Back