Visiting Atlanta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgarage1

Not a real doctor. Lives in garage.
Reaction score
I'm going to be staying at the downtown DoubleTree Monday and Tuesday nights. Any recommendations on nearby beer bars I should hit and/or stores within a reasonable drive? I'd also be up for a quick drink or two if any of the locals down that way are game.

Not planning on bringing any beer with me, but I could be persuaded...

HopCity Craft Beer & Wine (1000 Marietta St #302, Atlanta, GA 30318) is only a 5 min drive from there. They have a vast selection of craft beer. You'll be about a 10 min drive from the Porter Beer Bar and 15 min drive from Brick Store Pub. Brick Store Pub is also right on the MARTA train line if you didn't feel like driving.

If there is anything in particular you're looking for from Westbrook, Terrapin, or other SE distro, give me a shout. I could point you in the right direction as far as stores or do an IP trade.

HopCity Craft Beer & Wine (1000 Marietta St #302, Atlanta, GA 30318) is only a 5 min drive from there. They have a vast selection of craft beer. You'll be about a 10 min drive from the Porter Beer Bar and 15 min drive from Brick Store Pub. Brick Store Pub is also right on the MARTA train line if you didn't feel like driving.

If there is anything in particular you're looking for from Westbrook, Terrapin, or other SE distro, give me a shout. I could point you in the right direction as far as stores or do an IP trade.
Thanks! Very helpful.

I highly recommend going to Wrecking Bar for dinner. They're one of the best brewpubs I've been to. Great food and beer. It's located in Little 5 Points, so fairly close to you. The Porter is just down the road from there and a great stop for drinks before/after dinner.

Decatur has a ton of options as well. Places of note in Decatur are Square Pub (great food, solid draft list), Brick Store Pub (great draft list, plus a ridiculous cellar), Twain's (great food, up and coming local brewpub), and Leon's Full Service (small, but quality tap list). They are all within a couple minute walk from each other.

Edit: forgot about a couple other places...Argosy and Midway Pub are both in East Atlanta Village and a short walk apart. Argosy has an amazing burger and both tend to have very good taplists.

For stores, Hop City is definitely one of the better options. Others somewhat close to you are Green's on Ponce de Leon and Ale Yeah in Decatur.

If you want more specific recommendations or have any more questions, let me know!

I highly recommend going to Wrecking Bar for dinner. They're one of the best brewpubs I've been to. Great food and beer. It's located in Little 5 Points, so fairly close to you. The Porter is just down the road from there and a great stop for drinks before/after dinner.

Decatur has a ton of options as well. Places of note in Decatur are Square Pub (great food, solid draft list), Brick Store Pub (great draft list, plus a ridiculous cellar), Twain's (great food, up and coming local brewpub), and Leon's Full Service (small, but quality tap list). They are all within a couple minute walk from each other.

Edit: forgot about a couple other places...Argosy and Midway Pub are both in East Atlanta Village and a short walk apart. Argosy has an amazing burger and both tend to have very good taplists.

For stores, Hop City is definitely one of the better options. Others somewhat close to you are Green's on Ponce de Leon and Ale Yeah in Decatur.

If you want more specific recommendations or have any more questions, let me know!
This is awesome. Thanks!

How'd your trip go? Curious to hear your thoughts coming from quite the beer mecca
Only had time to hit Argosy and Hop City, but they were great. I got Founder's Imperial Stout to go, a triple-hop IPA I forget the name of, and fresh 2-hearted on draft, which, as a Michigan native, I miss every day.

This is the only thread I found about Atlanta so I shall post in it. I am staying at the W in Buckhead and going to a Giants @ Braves game on the first weekend in May. Getting in Late Friday and leaving on Monday. Have a rental car, tell me what to do!

This is the only thread I found about Atlanta so I shall post in it. I am staying at the W in Buckhead and going to a Giants @ Braves game on the first weekend in May. Getting in Late Friday and leaving on Monday. Have a rental car, tell me what to do!

Bars to hit:
In Little 5 Points:
The Porter
Wrecking Bar

In Decatur:
Brick Store Pub
Square Pub
Twain's
Leon's
Kimball House

In East Atlanta:
Argosy
The Midway Pub

Midtown:
Cypress St. Plate and Pint

Bottle Shops:
Hop City
Green's(On Ponce De Leon, or on Buford Highway)
Tower(On Piedmont Road, probably your most convenient)

I live in Buckhead, so I can tell you that there isn't much close to there. It's more of the newly graduated college scene.

My original post above is your best bet for places to go.

Edit: as you can see Korey's list is pretty similar on the best places, with the emphasis on Tower on Piedmont and Green's on Buford for bottle shops most convenient to Buckhead

I live in Buckhead, so I can tell you that there isn't much close to there. It's more of the newly graduated college scene.

My original post above is your best bet for places to go.

Edit: as you can see Korey's list is pretty similar on the best places, with the emphasis on Tower on Piedmont and Green's on Buford for bottle shops most convenient to Buckhead
Getting close to my trip, I have these places marked, do you have the hole in the wall that might have the sweet sweet shine?

Getting close to my trip, I have these places marked, do you have the hole in the wall that might have the sweet sweet shine?
The place I found it is called Pitch n Putt Liqour...their address is 1890A JOHNSON RD NE. There's a list of retailers on the moonshine website that may have it as well. If you stop into Tower or Green's while you're here, check with them too. When I was looking before, they both said they had had it previously, just not at that time.

Trip details of my quick stop.
Saturday Lunch at Argosy. Very solid tap list, and I enjoyed the Burger too, if only going to 1 place for beers and food I would pick here. Saturday night was spent at the Braves game. Didn't eat much there but had many of Sweetwater 420 and IPA tall boys.

Sunday lunch at Wrecking Bar. Food was pretty good, and the 3 beers of theirs I tried were all decent with the milk stout on Nitro being their best I had, but the Gose was a solid starter. Did Dinner at Wisteria which was a little fancy for me wearing shorts and flip flops, but the food was great, and they had a few craft beers so I had more Sweetwater 420's. Between these two I hit up 3 different liquor stores, 2 Towers and the Pitch and Putt mentioned above. Also hit up a morellis ice cream because it won like 4th best Ice cream place in the USA. It was good, but not my style, VERY creamy. Like stick to your spoon so you have to fight it thick, but great flavors.

Overall I enjoyed Atlanta and the surrounding areas. The roads were a little funky, but it was green trees and southern hospitality all around. Also had grits for the first time ever when we landed around midnight at a waffle house, not impressed.

Bumping an old thread looking for suggestions for a friend traveling to your fine city for breweries to visit. I know there are quote a few, just looking for the best taps, maybe food and overall atmosphere.

Just now seeing this thread, I'll put in a shameless plug for a restaurant my uncle has in the Atlanta area, Soho. They specialize much more in wine than beer, but they always have Terrapin and Sweetwater on, and the food is pretty good as well.

as am I, will be in town for Turkey day weekend.
Where will you be staying? Previous posts in this thread are still accurate.

As for breweries, Orpheus, Burnt Hickory, and Three Taverns are the ones I'd recommend most. Orpheus (in Midtown on the east side of Piedmont Park) and Three Taverns (in Decatur, just down the street from all the Decatur bars/restaurants previously recommended) both have tours every weekend, but may want to call ahead for holiday weekend hours or check social media. Burnt Hickory only does "open houses" once a month but is looking to expand this, but I doubt it will be in time for Thanksgiving.

Another note that may have already been said...breweries in GA can not sell pints or anything to go. They have "tours" in which you buy a glass and get 4-6 tickets usually to taste.

TL;DR read the rest of this thread and feel free to PM if you have any questions

The wife is at GeorgiaTech for a few days. What's the best place around for beer? From a quick research, Mac's Beer & Wine seems like the best options, but I would like any extra tips!

The wife is at GeorgiaTech for a few days. What's the best place around for beer? From a quick research, Mac's Beer & Wine seems like the best options, but I would like any extra tips!

If she doesn't have a car, then Mac's is her best option.

If she has a car, then it'd be Green's on Ponce, or Hop City in West Midtown or at Krog Street Market.

Gonna be near duluth for the last week of this month... definitely hitting up the brick store, vortex, who knows what else! Probably bring out some schramms to drink as well...

I'm going to be in Atlanta at the end of the month for Microsoft Ignite. I'm going to be near the Georgia World Congress Center daily, and am staying at the Hilton on Courtland. Kind of near where Downtown/Old Fourth Ward/Sweet Auburn all meet up. I won't have a car. Any good bars within walking distance or a short Uber away? Prefer to drink good beer I can't get in Chicago.

I'm going to be in Atlanta at the end of the month for Microsoft Ignite. I'm going to be near the Georgia World Congress Center daily, and am staying at the Hilton on Courtland. Kind of near where Downtown/Old Fourth Ward/Sweet Auburn all meet up. I won't have a car. Any good bars within walking distance or a short Uber away? Prefer to drink good beer I can't get in Chicago.
As far as walking, you're going to be extremely close to Max Lager's. They're a solid (although a bit expensive) brewpub that has increased both their variety and quality exponentially in the past year+.

A short Uber/long walk away is Torched Hop, another brewpub. They've been open less than a year, but they've got great food and their (hoppy, especially) beers continue to impress. Another short Uber away is Wrecking Bar Brewpub, the best food/beer combination in the city IMO. A few minute walk from Wrecking Bar is The Porter, a well known beer bar, that is also worth a stop.

This should be more than enough to keep you full and drunk, but in case you're still looking for more, a decent place to check out would be Cypress Street Pint and Plate in Midtown. However, I strongly recommend each of the above before considering Cypress.

And one note on the walking in case you're not familiar with the area you're staying in: it's not exactly the worst, but it can get kinda sketchy at night because nobody really goes down in that area unless it's for work during the day. Walking to Max Lager's is fine, but I wouldn't advise walking to any other places outside the general vicinity. Ubers are everywhere and pretty cheap, so they're plenty worth it.

Gonna be in town next weekend for Radiohead at Philips Arena. Will be kinda in and out; arriving at 10:45am on Saturday and leaving at 2pm Sunday and staying downtown at Marriott Marquis with my wife, another couple, and my BIL that are all pretty into beer and food.

Anything develop in the last 6 months? Or just go off of SwoldierBoiTellEm 's last post? Ideally we'd be looking for something like lunch>brewery>brewery>light dinner/cocktails>show>post show bar downtown. Ubering to lunch and then to show is obviously fine, but it would be nice if we could walk between the daytime stuff (1-2 mile walks are cool). Oh, and something for Sunday breakfast/brunch?

Thanks for being my travel agent!

Gonna be in town next weekend for Radiohead at Philips Arena. Will be kinda in and out; arriving at 10:45am on Saturday and leaving at 2pm Sunday and staying downtown at Marriott Marquis with my wife, another couple, and my BIL that are all pretty into beer and food.

Anything develop in the last 6 months? Or just go off of SwoldierBoiTellEm 's last post? Ideally we'd be looking for something like lunch>brewery>brewery>light dinner/cocktails>show>post show bar downtown. Ubering to lunch and then to show is obviously fine, but it would be nice if we could walk between the daytime stuff (1-2 mile walks are cool). Oh, and something for Sunday breakfast/brunch?

Thanks for being my travel agent!
All the same from my post above, especially wrt downtown and midtown. Keep in mind that due to archaic brewery (not including brewpubs) laws, you will have to purchase a "tour" which includes 36oz of beer to consume on site. You can add a "souvenir to go package" to your tour that allows you to take (not buy :rolleyes:) up to 72oz to go. Thankfully, the laws should be changing effective 9/1 to be much more normal.

With that being said, a new brewery has opened in the past year in west midtown called Scofflaw. They've quickly become the best brewery in Atlanta and should be a reasonably quick Uber from anywhere in downtown/midtown. They specialize in hoppy stuff, but have done very well with most everything they make. The head brewer has previously worked at both RR and Lost Abbey.

I'd rank everything in these two posts as follows:
1) Wrecking Bar/The Porter (oh, and WB also has a great cocktail program and bourbon list)
2) Scofflaw
3) Torched Hop
4) Max Lagers

For breakfast/brunch, I highly recommend Homegrown (get the Comfy Chicken Biscuit). You'll need to uber, but I don't think it should be more than 10-15 mins. It is important to note that they get very crowded and have a wait past 9am or so usually. So get there early, or plan to wait. Otherwise, Cypress St Pint and Plate usually has good breakfast/brunch options in addition to their regular menu, plus $3 pints of SW (fresh) IPA. Also, you cannot buy or consume alcohol at any restaurants until 1230pm on Sunday (another law in the process of being changed).

Feel free to PM if you have any more questions.

everyone hates those GA laws but I've never been able to drink as cheaply as I do when visiting GA breweries. 20$ at creature comforts or terrapin gets you what 4 or 5 beers and a glass... That would be $40 minimum in Florida. I think the sweetwater "tour" was even cheaper.

everyone hates those GA laws but I've never been able to drink as cheaply as I do when visiting GA breweries. 20$ at creature comforts or terrapin gets you what 4 or 5 beers and a glass... That would be $40 minimum in Florida. I think the sweetwater "tour" was even cheaper.

Yeah, they say it's x amount of sample per glass but I've seen it go full or half full. Depends on the person and time.

Thankfully it's all changing soon and we can all belly up to the bar at a brewery and enjoy a pint.

You're right, it's not a bad deal for a consumer who wants to drink a lot of beer. That being said, I rarely want to drink that much because I usually am driving to the brewery. The issue with the law is not that it's a bad deal for a consumer, but that it's a **** deal (i.e., fundamentally unjust) for a brewery. In what other industry is one leagally prohibited from selling its own product directly from its own premises? Imagine going to a dairy and being told that you can't buy milk there, you have to go to the store. Forcing a brewery to send product to distro from day one requires a lot more capital to start a brewery. And if a brewery doesn't have their **** dialed in from day 1, they're kind of ****ed because consumers are finicky and will buy stuff that is consistent.

But like everyone else has said, the laws should be changing September 1 (passed both house and senate by yuge margins, waiting for the gov to sign or at least not veto, and then the DOR interpretation of the new law) and all this ******** will be behind us.

You're right, it's not a bad deal for a consumer who wants to drink a lot of beer. That being said, I rarely want to drink that much because I usually am driving to the brewery. The issue with the law is not that it's a bad deal for a consumer, but that it's a **** deal (i.e., fundamentally unjust) for a brewery. In what other industry is one leagally prohibited from selling its own product directly from its own premises? Imagine going to a dairy and being told that you can't buy milk there, you have to go to the store. Forcing a brewery to send product to distro from day one requires a lot more capital to start a brewery. And if a brewery doesn't have their **** dialed in from day 1, they're kind of ****ed because consumers are finicky and will buy stuff that is consistent.

But like everyone else has said, the laws should be changing September 1 (passed both house and senate by yuge margins, waiting for the gov to sign or at least not veto, and then the DOR interpretation of the new law) and all this ******** will be behind us.
what about BA Milk?

You're right, it's not a bad deal for a consumer who wants to drink a lot of beer. That being said, I rarely want to drink that much because I usually am driving to the brewery. The issue with the law is not that it's a bad deal for a consumer, but that it's a **** deal (i.e., fundamentally unjust) for a brewery. In what other industry is one legally prohibited from selling its own product directly from its own premises? Imagine going to a dairy and being told that you can't buy cheese there, you have to go to the store. Forcing a brewery to send product to distro from day one requires a lot more capital to start a brewery. And if a brewery doesn't have their **** dialed in from day 1, they're kind of ****ed because consumers are finicky and will buy stuff that is consistent.

Got done behind the scenes a long time ago shortly after the shitty deal passed. SB63 was it? Interesting thing was one of the big issues for the state/distributors was 2 large GA breweries were also pushing for their own shipping fleet. 1 was Terrapin and not sure who the other was. It wasn't Sweetwater. Don't know how that never got into the press.

Bumping this thread for some new Atlanta recs. I'll be there next week from Tuesday to Wednesday. What's good and new around?

Bumping this thread for some new Atlanta recs. I'll be there next week from Tuesday to Wednesday. What's good and new around?

Bars/Brewpubs:
Torched Hop Brewing
Wrecking Bar Brewpub
The Porter
Brick Store Pub
Bar at Hop City KSM

Breweries:
Monday Night Garage/Monday Night Brewing
Three Taverns

Bottle Shops:
Hop City KSM
Hop City West Midtown
Greens on Ponce, Greens on Buford

If someone tells you to go to Scofflaw, ignore everything they say after that.

Bars/Brewpubs:
Torched Hop Brewing
Wrecking Bar Brewpub
The Porter
Brick Store Pub
Bar at Hop City KSM

Breweries:
Monday Night Garage/Monday Night Brewing
Three Taverns

Bottle Shops:
Hop City KSM
Hop City West Midtown
Greens on Ponce, Greens on Buford

If someone tells you to go to Scofflaw, ignore everything they say after that.

Amazing! Thanks. What about Orpheus? Worthwhile?

Amazing! Thanks. What about Orpheus? Worthwhile?
Orpheus is good but I'd put it after both Monday Night and Three Taverns.

If you wanted to combine some of these, Wrecking Bar and The Porter are within walking distance. And Brick Store and Three Taverns are fairly close together.

If you wanted to get some exercise, Hop City KSM and Orpheus are at opposite ends of the Beltline, a walking/bike path (that is crazy crowded on the weekends but shouldn't be too bad during the week). I'd guess that they're 2 to 2.5 miles apart. And along the way you could stop at Mitch Steele's (formerly of Stone brewing) brewpub New Realm, but the beer there is pretty mediocre and unimaginative. Or, if you started at KSM and went to Orpheus, you could then take a short Uber (1-2 miles) to Torched Hop.

And of course, go to Scofflaw ;-)
He said to ignore everything I said after that, not before that, so everything I said still counts.

Back