Quantcast

US - New England Visiting Boston (Winter '13/'14 Edition)

Help Support Talkbeer:

I've always had impeccable service at penguin... I will admit I was a Northeastern regular for about 3 years before now just dropping in sporadically but i have always enjoyed the food and beer. It is close to the MFA and Bringham and Womens which have plenty of people

I've always had impeccable service at penguin... I will admit I was a Northeastern regular for about 3 years before now just dropping in sporadically but i have always enjoyed the food and beer. It is close to the MFA and Bringham and Womens which have plenty of people
Hello fellow Northeasterner! Food and beer is great but my experiences have always involved extremely slow and inattentive service.

Just hit Row 34 on Tuesday. Got there ~4:30 (was going to a show at the Paradise later), had a couple beers with the gf, chowder and some oysters. Service was impeccable, tap selection was top-notch and interesting and we were wholly satisfied by the food.

Headed to Sunset afterwards and had some BCBS and the pulled pork nachos. Always a win.

I made it to Row 34 last weekend. I went with a large group later in the evening with a reservation, but didn't get seated until over an hour after our reservation time, despite arriving slightly early and having set up the reservation with a floor manager and having it confirmed via telephone earlier in the day. Apparently the people they needed to leave just wouldn't, despite being stood over by the staff. They brought us some Shrimp sliders on the house to tide us over, which were delicious, and we just drank standing in the bar area. Probably would have liked something additional comped considering it was a large party and one of my guests had to leave before the meal even started due to wait and we ended up mostly cancelling other plans for the rest of the evening, but I'm not one to push things (and this way I can passive aggressively bitch on the internet).

That all being said, everything else was great. Tap list wasn't as good as other times I've seen it, but they had Enjoy By, Boulevard IS, Petrus Aged Pale (which a few neophyte sour fans I was with fell in love with... I remember those days), a good number of other random sours, and Trillium Pot & Kettle. A little disappointed they didn't have Fort Point on, but the brewery had just put it back on tap that day. Also had Spencer by the bottle, which they were happy to bring with a few taster glasses.

They hit it out of the ballpark with their decor. Elegant industrial (somehow not an oxymoron). Loved the way they did the taplist on the wall, too.

Service was flawless despite it being late (ordering pushing kitchen close), and us being mostly inexperienced oyster eaters. Food highlights: Seafood special Red Snapper whole fish (w/ head)- This was incredible; Perfectly cooked and seasoned, one of the best fish dishes I've tried. Don't hesitate on the daily whole fish special. Clam chowder- heavy on the bacon, but so tasty. Oysters- I preferred the Row 34 to the 2 other kinds we got. Just a hint of brineyness and no grit. Love that you can order ala carte individually or however you want. Fried clams- Delicately breaded, but fried just the way I like it. Very tasty. Shrimp sliders- Mentioned these earlier. Bread- Table bread comes out warm and is baked with red pepper. A big hit at the table.

Nothing was bad, but my warm buttered lobster roll was merely "good". Seemed kinda plain, but a fair lobster to price ratio and bread was grilled authentically.

Definitely recommend and would go again with a smaller party (or just hope for better luck with people leaving). Take it as a good sign that people won't leave.

I made it to Row 34 last weekend....
Nothing was bad, but my warm buttered lobster roll was merely "good". Seemed kinda plain, but a fair lobster to price ratio and bread was grilled authentically...
Update after this past weekend's trip. Girlfriend got the warm buttered lobster roll and it was better than my previous experience. Bread was cooked perfectly and that's the key for the style. Lots of lobster as expected for the price.

Also, do yourself a favor and get the Daily Whole Fish special.

Row 34 ruined my childhood nostolgia for clam shacks. I'll have to bring fried clams from there when I go to the beach.