WA Beer Awards Winners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was kind of wondering that myself, mostly because I'd never heard of them.
They are based out of Bellingham and are tiny. The awards they won (except maybe this one) are well deserved, plus they make my favorite porter! But yeah, still curious as to the qualifications for that award.

They are based out of Bellingham and are tiny. The awards they won (except maybe this one) are well deserved, plus they make my favorite porter! But yeah, still curious as to the qualifications for that award.

Maybe it's a mistake and Gordon Biersch and them should be flip flopped?

My thought is that Fremont must not have entered any barrel-aged beers in this competition.

The only ones I've had from the medalists are the Iron Goat ones. They are pretty awesome though. Goatnik is aged in Dry Fly Washington Wheat barrels. Although I really love KDS and BBomb, I wouldn't think it crazy for Iron Goat's BA Goatnik and Captain Kidd to beat them out in a blind judging.

How is Kulshan the best large brewery?
I believe the cut-off point for small and large breweries was 1,200bbl/year production. The Seattle GB is below that, and Kulshan makes over 2,000bbl/year. Best Brewery is earned by adding up points for medals. Kulshan doesn't make it much south of Skagit County, because we drink it up here. You do see it in Seattle some times, and over in Port Townsend at the Pour House, but mostly you'll have to come to Bellingham to "Get Some".

Whatcom County did well. Kulshan, Chuckanut, Wander, and Menace all brought home bling. Boundary Bay got shut out, and I don't know if Aslan even entered into the competition (they weren't pouring at the fest, and neither was Wander). North Fork is our other "local secret" brewery that makes great beer, but doesn't generally go to many fests. They tend to sell it all (they've only got a 3bbl system) over the bar at their brewery.

I believe the cut-off point for small and large breweries was 1,200bbl/year production. The Seattle GB is below that, and Kulshan makes over 2,000bbl/year. Best Brewery is earned by adding up points for medals. Kulshan doesn't make it much south of Skagit County, because we drink it up here. You do see it in Seattle some times, and over in Port Townsend at the Pour House, but mostly you'll have to come to Bellingham to "Get Some".

Whatcom County did well. Kulshan, Chuckanut, Wander, and Menace all brought home bling. Boundary Bay got shut out, and I don't know if Aslan even entered into the competition (they weren't pouring at the fest, and neither was Wander). North Fork is our other "local secret" brewery that makes great beer, but doesn't generally go to many fests. They tend to sell it all (they've only got a 3bbl system) over the bar at their brewery.
That makes more sense to me now! Thanks for the clarification. You'll have to have a slice at the NF, it's been a minute since I've had their beer/pizza/wedding lol.

Latest posts

Back