West Coast Roadtrip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffman929

Reaction score
I am planning my beer and baseball roadtrip for this summer and wanted some local feedback. Having never been to Oregon, would it be in my best interest to do one day in Portland and one day in Bend or would you recommend two days in Portland? Must hits for me are Cascade, HotD, Deschutes, and Upright, with places with brewery tours being highest on the list. I am going to search for places to stay, as well, but any centrally located suggestions would be helpful.

You could do one day in Portland if you make Deschutes part of your Bend day instead of part of your Portland trip.

For me, the Cascade barrel house, Horse Brass Pub & Belmont Station are all in one shot on the same side of town, that's a day for me. ****, I could do an entire day at the Cascade barrel house alone.

Cascade is one of my favorites, so I am thinking that two days in Portland and not having to drive during that period will be more fun. We would have done over 2600 miles prior to Portland, so I don't know if Bend is that much of a draw to put on an extra three hours.

Def. do 2 days In Portland. My cousin lives there and I go visit once a year for 4 days or so. It's a sweet town with lots of cool places to go.

Safeco is the night before Portland. Also, looking for locals wanting to do tastings/trades. It is way far off, which is why I haven't posted anything openly.

Safeco is the night before Portland. Also, looking for locals wanting to do tastings/trades. It is way far off, which is why I haven't posted anything openly.

If I'm in town (I work out of town a lot), I'd be down to have a tailgate tasting before the Mariners game (beer makes the game interesting).

In PDX, hit up The Commons, Apex, Beermongers (store), Hair of the Dog then Cascade. They are all somewhat in the same area.

PM me when the date gets closer.

Shouldn't this be in the Northwest forum? :)

OakedCanuck is right on the money, came here to post the same thing.

If you're visiting Deschutes, I'd walk to Bailey's Taproom afterwards. One of my favourite drinking spots in town.

Well, the trip is going down the coast, but, yes, the initial question was about the NW. Plus, just wanted to see if Colin was still alive. His hockey team isn't! So, Thanks for moving the thread.

I am way fine with getting something in Seattle set up, but we will only be there for the day of the game.

I found a place in Portland and booked for 2 nights, so the feedback was helpful.

Not passing through Vancouver are you?

(the canadian one, not the weird washington name thief)

Well, the trip is going down the coast, but, yes, the initial question was about the NW. Plus, just wanted to see if Colin was still alive. His hockey team isn't! So, Thanks for moving the thread.

I am way fine with getting something in Seattle set up, but we will only be there for the day of the game.

I found a place in Portland and booked for 2 nights, so the feedback was helpful.

Shut it about my hockey team :) Just bring me some gueuze and I'll forgive you.

Even Washingtonians don't consider Vancouver, WA to be the real Vancouver.

Having never been to Oregon, would it be in my best interest to do one day in Portland and one day in Bend or would you recommend two days in Portland?

If you have never been to Oregon and only have two days, I would actually recommend skipping Bend. That's going to add 3 hours of driving each way to your trip and there is a lot of Bend beer in PDX. If you want to take a side trip, Hood River is only an hour away and there are 4 breweries there, all worth visiting (yes, even Big Horse). Plus, you can stop at Multnomah Falls along the way, which is a must see imho.

I am going to search for places to stay, as well, but any centrally located suggestions would be helpful.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Portland--OR?source=bb

Airbnb is great for staying right in the neighborhood you want. The hosts are usually pretty knowledgeable city folk as well.

Since baseball is part of the agenda, and since PDX doesn't have a team of any sort (there is a team out in the burbs, Hillsboro, though), and since (IMHO) a visit to Bend is a must, check the schedule to if the Bend Elks of the WCL will be playing when you visit. It's a wood bat, summer league for college players. Good level of ball. http://www.wccbl.com/

A few points:

1. I did a week in Oregon at the beginning of August. We spent 5 days in Portland and 1.5 in Bend, and THAT wasn't enough time in Portland. I enjoyed our time in Bend, but if I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't make that excursion (the smoky air probably didn't help). If you want to see some more of Oregon, there's a way to do that without depriving yourself of too much time in Portland.

The Willamette Valley is close enough that you could drive down, grab lunch at the delicious Red Hills Market, drive around the beautiful countryside and hit a few wineries (Penner Ash, for example, has a fantastic view), and be back in Portland for a full slate of evening activities. The Hood River suggestion, as well as Multnomah Falls on the way there or back, is another good one. There are some really easy hikes right around Multnomah that will take you to a few other, smaller cool waterfalls that aren't viewable right from the road.

2. Remove Deschutes, insert Commons.

3. PM me your email so I can forward you a good list of restaurant favorites from a Portland-based friend.

EDIT: 4. Let me know if this trip will be taking you through LA. I'd be more than happy to advise you and maybe meet up for beers or a share.

Last edited:
Also, the Logsdon website says that they're not open to the public, but they have hours on their FB page. I talked to Chuck while I was there and then months later at GABF he came up to me in the Crooked Stave tasting room because he remembered me visiting. Friendly as can be.

Not passing through Vancouver are you?

It wasn't on the agenda, as time in Seattle will be brief. Though, any talk of trade and Cantillon will alter that agenda!

Shut it about my hockey team :) Just bring me some gueuze and I'll forgive you.
Hey, i made an offer for stamkos.

hough, any talk of trade and Cantillon will alter that agenda!

There will probably be a bunch of lower tier loons around - some geuze & kriek bottles are still on shelves here from the last shipment. Canadian shelf turdz eh.

With any luck I'll be able to pick up some more interesting ones - I'll drop you a line if so.

How is he doing for you these days?

There will probably be a bunch of lower tier loons around - some geuze & kriek bottles are still on shelves here from the last shipment. Canadian shelf turdz eh.

With any luck I'll be able to pick up some more interesting ones - I'll drop you a line if so.
Sounds good. LP Kriek is my jam.

Alberta tends to get all the LPs historically, the bastards. We do get a few St Lams & Vigs though, and Fou Foune isn't unheard of either.

Alberta tends to get all the LPs historically, the bastards. We do get a few St Lams & Vigs though, and Fou Foune isn't unheard of either.
FF likely hit or will really soon. Usually LPK too. St. Lam and LPF are Mayish at the brewery, so that might be around in summer.

Any Cali lurkers have good info on when the best time to hit up SARA might be?

Any Cali lurkers have good info on when the best time to hit up SARA might be?

Anytime is good!

Bottles releases are sporadic, happening weeks apart. But they usually are released Friday and/or Saturday and usual last a day or so until they make it in-house only. They just expanded their tasting room next door and their hours. Currently they are Wed - Sunday opening in the early or mid afternoon. Really great spot, super chill and bring in your own food or other beer to share.

Work somewhat close by and always down to meet up!

Bend is a beautiful smaller (100k people) town that is packed to the gills with breweries (a dozen or more I think). I'd check it out if you have more time, otherwise probably just stick to PDX, you'll find a lot from the Bend breweries there anyways.

Back