Westbrook Release Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any word on what kind of BA Mexican Cake? I know Tequila's one of them, right?

There's a very limited amount of tequila (I saw a couple of barrels last time I was at Westbrook, and I think that may be it) and a lot of different bourbon barrels (mostly Four Roses, from what I've been told). No idea if they are planning to release barrel type-specific variants or just blend to taste and call that variant "Bourbon". Haven't heard or seen any other types. I can already feel the butt-hurt if there's no Apple Brandy this time.

Not to get into the subjective ranking of BA Mexican Cake set again, but I wouldn't care less about Apple Brandy. I know it's not happening but I do wish they did Red Wine again this year! I think that's the only stout in wine barrel version that blew my mind away.

Okay, you can go ahead and argue which variant was the best from last year. :p

Gose available for six months, that's awesome! that is one perfect beer-now we just need to get some down here.

How was the BAMC release last year? Is it a be-there-the-day-it's-released-or-you're-****ed kinda thing? Or does it hang around? Also, do they announce the specific date well in advance?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about visiting my sister and her fiance who just moved to Charlotte in late July (to line up with the Phish show there 7/25) and if I could combine it with getting some BA Mexican Cake, I'd probably have to grow a neckbeard.

How was the BAMC release last year? Is it a be-there-the-day-it's-released-or-you're-****ed kinda thing? Or does it hang around? Also, do they announce the specific date well in advance?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about visiting my sister and her fiance who just moved to Charlotte in late July (to line up with the Phish show there 7/25) and if I could combine it with getting some BA Mexican Cake, I'd probably have to grow a neckbeard.

Here's what happened last year, no guarantees it stays the same:

-They announced it a few weeks ahead of time, maybe a full month.
-Original limits were going to be x4 of each variant per person, once they realized it was going to be a pretty popular release, they changed it to x2.
-They handed out 200 tickets for full allotments of 6, then tickets for the Red Wine variant which there was more of.
-Tickets were handed out starting at something like 8:00am. I got there around 1pm (due to a traffic-related delay, originally wanted to be there at noon) with a friend, and we got tickets 169 and 170. Release event started at 3:00pm, they had a bunch of good stuff on draft.
-It was, not shockingly, all gone that day.

With how well-received this beer was and how it traded, I expect this year's release to be more of a ******** with lots of mules, tons of people showing up at 5am, etc. unless Westbrook does something to prevent it from becoming one. I feel like the semi-silent release of the Black Magic Panthers and BBL Skoon was at least partially in response to what happened at Hunahpu Day (which two of Westbrook's brewers were there for and got to see first-hand).

Thanks for the rundown. This happened on a Saturday?

Yep, and everything went pretty smoothly, everyone seemed to be having a good time. The only sucky part was the rain (which was a torrential downpour for a while).

-It was, not shockingly, all gone that day.

unless they held some back for whatever reason it was all gone that day. a friend was able to grab a 3rd bottle of RW about 4 spots in front of me (on a 2nd time through) and the person directly in front of me got the last 1

I'm not sure Mike@Westbrook is on this site, so I'm going to clarify a couple of details mentioned above...

-They handed out 200 tickets for full allotments of 6, then tickets for the Red Wine variant which there was more of. There was no difference in the actual tickets themselves...only the first 200 were 'guaranteed' a full allotment (2 of each variant); however, IIRC, a couple people didn't purchase the full amount and #203/4 ended up with the last full allotment.

Thanks for the rundown. This happened on a Saturday? Actually, last year's release was Friday, July 12th. Westbrook usually does special releases on weekdays as opposed to weekends.

a friend was able to grab a 3rd bottle of RW about 4 spots in front of me (on a 2nd time through) and the person directly in front of me got the last 1. IIRC, everyone in line as the bottles were dispensed ended up with at least one bottle of RWMC as the allocation was adjusted to 1/person for everyone in line without a ticket (those that arrived after ticket handouts ceased).

For reference, I am NOT affiliated with Westbrook but did assist with the release last year (along with a couple other locals) and just wanted to clarify a couple of items above. As for this year's upcoming release...I don't know any details at this point but would assume Westbrook is planning ahead giving the popularity of the beer and other recent trends in beer releases.

I'm not sure Mike@Westbrook is on this site, so I'm going to clarify a couple of details mentioned above...

For reference, I am NOT affiliated with Westbrook but did assist with the release last year (along with a couple other locals) and just wanted to clarify a couple of items above. As for this year's upcoming release...I don't know any details at this point but would assume Westbrook is planning ahead giving the popularity of the beer and other recent trends in beer releases.

Was that really on a Friday? Huh, I guess that's what happens when you are an academic on summer term and not teaching at the time, all days feel like the weekend. ;)

Would love to try gose! Just had the cigar city gose and fell in love. If anyone starts to get it let me know I'll hook yah up with some bruery beers or whatever yah want ;)

What is the average pricing for Gose six packs at stores and/or the brewery? Thanks.

Most places I see it for $10-12.

For anyone wanting an update on BA Mexican Cake, apparently it (or at least some of it) has been bottled and is waiting on labels. Still no details on the release although most expect it to be a same-day announcement. Maybe even on this Friday? Who knows.

Hmmmm....I have some more info on BA MC, but I'm not allowed to speak of it.

200.gif

Going to be in Charleston most of next week. We have a house rented in Isle of Palms. Other than Westbrook, are there any other must hit spots?

Would love to meet up with anyone in the area, and will have a wine check with me in case anyone wants to set up something IP.

Going to be in Charleston most of next week. We have a house rented in Isle of Palms. Other than Westbrook, are there any other must hit spots?

Would love to meet up with anyone in the area, and will have a wine check with me in case anyone wants to set up something IP.

I'm a big fan of COAST and they just released Boy King a little bit ago. Should still available at the brewery. CBX (Charleston Beer Exchange) is also a must hit store.

Good happy hours featuring oyster specials are also needed. A few acquaintances in the area have recommended Pearlz I think I'm going to be there on Friday afternoon

Well, Facebook ISO:FT has its collective jimmies rustled over these photos:

10429288_767397276655521_8659395894228437592_n.jpg
10614398_10202086950686188_1485023874352314254_n.jpg

Along with the Bourbon variant which had already been confirmed, that makes 3. Presumably the "Double Barrel" is the one that's a blend of two (or is it three) types of Pitchard's barrels.

Baseless speculation:

I don't think these will be released on a Saturday. Westbrook already does (based purely on my own observations when there, so I could be talking out of my ass) pretty brisk business on weekends with all the tourists in town, beer bus tours, etc. and they don't need the place overrun with neckbeards lining up for hours to get these.

I'd bet it will either be a Thursday or Friday, same-day announcement on social media (I doubt it will be a totally silent drop, although I suppose you never know). This coming week? Certainly could happen. The week after is Charleston Beer Week. That could certainly be a good time for Westbrook to do it if they want to make a splash; from what I can tell there are no special events scheduled at Westbrook that week. Again, this is all just me spitballing. Watch it be tomorrow. ;)

Facebook is ****ing hilarious. One guy starts posting blatantly false information (claiming there are 4 variants this year and one is Jack Daniels again), one of the assistant brewers at Westbrook enters the thread and calls him out on it (politely enough) then corrects him, and the guy comes back all butthurt and tells the brewer "you don't have to be a prick". It's always funny to see people who are so sure of themselves AND sensitive at the same time.

Facebook is ****ing hilarious. One guy starts posting blatantly false information (claiming there are 4 variants this year and one is Jack Daniels again), one of the assistant brewers at Westbrook enters the thread and calls him out on it (politely enough) then corrects him, and the guy comes back all butthurt and tells the brewer "you don't have to be a prick". It's always funny to see people who are so sure of themselves AND sensitive at the same time.
well, Wager is a prick

(not really, love ya James)

I really enjoyed my time at Westbrook. Beautiful location, nice taproom, good people, great beer.

Thoroughly enjoyed the moment a group came in and one of the women asked if they had gluten free beer. The employee working the bar, a large fellow, looked her dead in the eye and said he was "semi-offended that she even asked" she then asked if they had any wine.

well, Wager is a prick

not really, love ya James)

Nope, you had it right the first time :D

Thoroughly enjoyed the moment a group came in and one of the women asked if they had gluten free beer. The employee working the bar, a large fellow, looked her dead in the eye and said he was "semi-offended that she even asked" she then asked if they had any wine.

LMAO...I love D-Rock! I wasn't there but I can easily picture that entire scenario and probably would have busted out laughing. :p

Here's the latest from the internet rumor mill (which of course means take this **** with a massive grain of salt):

-$30/bottle, up from $20 last year. I'm sure people will complain if that's the case, but it's in line with other hyped stouts (BA Abraxas, Assassin, etc.) and will sell out anyways.

-Ticket pickup (or something analogous) on a Friday, with bottle pickup the day after on Saturday. I must say if that's the plan, it's a pretty good way to favor "locals" (i.e. people who go there regularly) without something stupid like checking IDs or the usual tedium about whether someone who lives in Savannah is more "local" than someone who lives further away but in South Carolina, and so on.

Once again this is just internet chatter that I'm relaying, and if it's totally inaccurate then that's no shock.

Here's the latest from the internet rumor mill (which of course means take this **** with a massive grain of salt):

-$30/bottle, up from $20 last year. I'm sure people will complain if that's the case, but it's in line with other hyped stouts (BA Abraxas, Assassin, etc.) and will sell out anyways.

-Ticket pickup (or something analogous) on a Friday, with bottle pickup the day after on Saturday. I must say if that's the plan, it's a pretty good way to favor "locals" (i.e. people who go there regularly) without something stupid like checking IDs or the usual tedium about whether someone who lives in Savannah is more "local" than someone who lives further away but in South Carolina, and so on.

Once again this is just internet chatter that I'm relaying, and if it's totally inaccurate then that's no shock.
This is accurate, from what I've heard and who I've heard it through.

Amazingly enough I might actually be able to make this even though I'm working a beer festival later that day, dat 9am release time! pgh_penguins I'll probably come down morning-of if I do (went hard in the paint on lambics at Edmund's Oast last weekend) but I'm sure I'll see you guys there.

Anyone with Facebook needs to read the comments on Westbrook's announcement, one guy is going absolutely insane. I'm sure BA will be just as bad.

Back