WHALES - Uber Rare Retired Glassware Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheapBeerBuzz

Reaction score
Reading yeahnatenelson's post (https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/lets-remember-some-beers-in-memoriam-old-whales.41403/) about whales of yesteryear got me into digging through my glassware. I have so so so much glassware. And as much as I like seeing properglassware and new glassware hauls, I like to see rarities/oddities even if they are not worth much or in demand. Kinda similar to Treebs obsession with Half Acre glassware, I would like to start this thread for long forgotten glassware. It doesn't have to be epic, just stuff that is long since gone and still holds a special place in our hearts for a bygone era. I'll start it off with two:
RQbxxCq.jpg

Rare Midnight Sun stemless wine glass. Just drank that Open Container on Tuesday night and it wasn't horrible (flat, but drinkable). This glass comes from one of my first obsessions with collecting old Midnight Sun glasses (and the beers as well).

Here is another one that is worth a pretty penny and is an uber rare whaley glass:
7oOKcpK.jpg

This was a 2015 bottle I had a couple of months ago. Still great! I have to point out that I traded a Statement Reserve bottle for this glass, which meadheads have told me I made a grave mistake. I don't care, as a glassware whore, I had to have this glass and I had already tried Statement Reserve before. If you can't tell, while I do have an occasional mead, I don't really care all that much about them.

Here is another one that is worth a pretty penny and is an uber rare whaley glass:
7oOKcpK.jpg

This was a 2015 bottle I had a couple of months ago. Still great! I have to point out that I traded a Statement Reserve bottle for this glass, which meadheads have told me I made a grave mistake. I don't care, as a glassware whore, I had to have this glass and I had already tried Statement Reserve before. If you can't tell, while I do have an occasional mead, I don't really care all that much about them.

Very weird and cool glass. Traded mine for the 3 Fonteinen fountains stange for completionist reasons. Almost sorry I did.

Almost.

65ddbd5adedfee3cc7f5d7b59a2abdf4_raw.jpg

i got this glass a loooong time ago before i even knew what heady was. don’t think they make it anymore

pretty basic but i really like it

Whenever I see that logo (on the glass) I always think of Rock Art before I think of Alchemist. Maybe because it vaguely resembles a R and an A combined together, but much more likely is that the THC has destroyed too many brain cells.

E4_BC8_B5_B_A821_43_F1_AFF8_2_F2175_C413_B5.jpg

Love it or hate it, the Fantome z-stem, squiggle, squiggly glass (non MS paint version) or whatever you want to call it is one of the single most talked about and rare pieces of Fantome specific glassware due to its tainted history of being made one time, years ago without Dany’s approval and subsequent request for destruction.

I used it for awhile but have since hung it up in the retired cabinet. I dont enjoy using it anymore because I know Dany gets upset when he sees it and he does not like all the questions/requests he gets for it every time a picture appears on social media.

E4_BC8_B5_B_A821_43_F1_AFF8_2_F2175_C413_B5.jpg
Love it or hate it, the Fantome z-stem, squiggle, squiggly glass (non MS paint version) or whatever you want to call it is one of the single most talked about and rare pieces of Fantome specific glassware due to its tainted history of being made one time, years ago without Dany’s approval and subsequent request for destruction.

I would go further and say that the z-stem is one of the most fascinating craft beer cultural artifacts. The only thing I think would be cooler would be a "Yellow Bus" bottle signed by MikesGroove.

Looking forward to contributing to this thread. On the verge of a purge but will be keeping some of the finer "whales".
Mostly old school DDC stuff and things I've picked up in travels as a souvenir.

And as much as I like seeing properglassware and new glassware hauls, I like to see rarities/oddities even if they are not worth much or in demand. Kinda similar to Treebs obsession with Half Acre glassware, I would like to start this thread for long forgotten glassware.

You're kinda burying the lede on our boy Treebs. He has arguably the best New Glarus glassware collection of all time ever.

65ddbd5adedfee3cc7f5d7b59a2abdf4_raw.jpg

i got this glass a loooong time ago before i even knew what heady was. don’t think they make it anymore

pretty basic but i really like it

A good friend of mine's now-wife went to UVM and she would often go to the Alchemist pub. On a trip to visit her he went and got me one of these glasses. About a week or two later the pub was destroyed by Tropical Storm Irene.

And then a couple years after that my roommate broke it in the sink. :(

beer.jpg

BACK
Jester+King+Wytchmaker+glass+S.jpg

Can you even imagine Jester King selling pint glasses nowadays? They had these glasses for just a few months after the taproom opened (when they switched to the gold leaf snifter). For $10 they came with 3 pours (likely Wytchmaker, Black Metal, and Commercial Suicide) and a tour.

I would go further and say that the z-stem is one of the most fascinating craft beer cultural artifacts. The only thing I think would be cooler would be a "Yellow Bus" bottle signed by MikesGroove.
What's the story behind the Fantome glass? I've seen it around but never heard the story

What's the story behind the Fantome glass? I've seen it around but never heard the story

It was produced by a liquor store or bar (I don’t know which one) for an event (I don’t know the exact date but I would guess it was circa 2009). It was produced without dany’s approval and he asked the business to not sell anymore, destroy the unsold glasses and generally forget they ever existed. They became very rare and very in demand. The one stakem showed is the only one I am aware of in the “wild” as the only other photographic evidence is a single photo that got reposted as nauseum in 2010/2011 in the BA ISO boards.

One of the few relatively rare/obscure glasses I have that I know is (or at least was, once upon a time) somewhat sought after is the Terrapin Intihar snifter:

IMG_20131007_214334_zps2784134b.jpg

And before anyone howls with outrage, the glass was full originally but the logo shows up better in this one.

It was produced by a liquor store or bar (I don’t know which one) for an event (I don’t know the exact date but I would guess it was circa 2009). It was produced without dany’s approval and he asked the business to not sell anymore, destroy the unsold glasses and generally forget they ever existed.

It was The Trappist in Oakland, made for a special Fantome tasting. As I heard the story, Dany reached out before the event and demanded the glasses not be distributed and also destroyed. If so it's very likely the ones that still exist were probably held onto by the owner of Trappist or employees from the time, which is why extant examples, or even photos, are so terribly rare.

They became very rare and very in demand. The one stakem showed is the only one I am aware of in the “wild” as the only other photographic evidence is a single photo that got reposted as nauseum in 2010/2011 in the BA ISO boards.

Yes. This is why I don't post ISO's of stuff I want anymore. I don't need people knowing the obscure lambic stuff that I'm working on finding and then piling on with lame offers.

Doesn't dontdrinkbeer have one? Or maybe I've just seen it referenced on his page forever ago...

A few years ago him and his buddies had made some intentionally janky-looking z-stems using an "artistic interpretation" of the Fantome logo made in MS Paint.

Last edited:
A few years ago him and his buddies had made some intentionally janky-looking z-stems using an "artistic interpretation" of the Fantome logo made in MS Paint.

It should be noted that MS-Paint squiggle time was created with Dany’s approval, no profit was made from its creation and at least one Glass was sent to Dany. Not, that I know anything about that.

It was produced by a liquor store or bar (I don’t know which one) for an event (I don’t know the exact date but I would guess it was circa 2009). It was produced without dany’s approval and he asked the business to not sell anymore, destroy the unsold glasses and generally forget they ever existed. They became very rare and very in demand. The one stakem showed is the only one I am aware of in the “wild” as the only other photographic evidence is a single photo that got reposted as nauseum in 2010/2011 in the BA ISO boards.
I bought one from the bar in question about 18 months ago for the grand sum of $5. They still use them and as far as I know them selling it to me was random as I know others have been refused.

XtHhPeCh.jpg

hannydawg needs to make a reappearance for his unparalleled knowledge of rare Duvel and Orval ghostwhales.

Unbeknownst to most of us, the big money glassware sales occur mainly in Europe and pertain to really old trappist stuff and miscellaneous Duvel misprited glasses. One that sticks out in my mind was a beat up (foot was badly chipped) Orval chalice that fetched EUR 2k+.

Couldn't tell you what was special about it, but clearly some other people knew something I didn't.

Reading yeahnatenelson's post (https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/lets-remember-some-beers-in-memoriam-old-whales.41403/) about whales of yesteryear got me into digging through my glassware. I have so so so much glassware. And as much as I like seeing properglassware and new glassware hauls, I like to see rarities/oddities even if they are not worth much or in demand. Kinda similar to Treebs obsession with Half Acre glassware, I would like to start this thread for long forgotten glassware. It doesn't have to be epic, just stuff that is long since gone and still holds a special place in our hearts for a bygone era. I'll start it off with two:
RQbxxCq.jpg

Rare Midnight Sun stemless wine glass. Just drank that Open Container on Tuesday night and it wasn't horrible (flat, but drinkable). This glass comes from one of my first obsessions with collecting old Midnight Sun glasses (and the beers as well).

I have one of these, had no idea it was rare.

Back