Resolved What are these ads?

Help Support Talkbeer:

Fenyx

Administrator
Staff member
I keep getting stupid pop ups on this site saying my iPhone is infected by a virus or that it’s been compromised. How can the people that run this place now be so awful at this?
I know you won't believe me, but those ads do not come from us.

dan

I don't think anyone is suggesting that TalkBeer is pushing out these pop-ups. I think everyone does believe you when you say that the only ads are at the top, bottom and/or off to the side. If we're getting these pop-ups, it's because we picked up some adware from some other website or app and that's on us.

But that's only half of the problem. Something about this site permits the adware to function on our phones. I have only had these pop-ups display on this site.

Anyway, I wound up deleting all of my 'website info' on my phone and that seems to have addressed the issue (for now).

Fenyx

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think anyone is suggesting that TalkBeer is pushing out these pop-ups. I think everyone does believe you when you say that the only ads are at the top, bottom and/or off to the side. If we're getting these pop-ups, it's because we picked up some adware from some other website or app and that's on us.

But that's only half of the problem. Something about this site permits the adware to function on our phones. I have only had these pop-ups display on this site.

Anyway, I wound up deleting all of my 'website info' on my phone and that seems to have addressed the issue (for now).
This site has a lot of extra add ons and maybe one of them is contributing to it. These add ons were there when I first saw the site. Makes me wonder which ones are used now and what might be able to be disabled. I'll look into that.

Looks like a problem with Google.

Checkmate, lurchingbeast
Still not a single instance on my laptop or work computer but the "flash was blocked on this page" still showing. I don't get that error on mobile but do get redirected to that adware site or whatever it is. And yes, I have redirects blocked on my phone. And yet...

Fenyx

Administrator
Staff member
I was told an ad MIGHT have that ability. If it is, they've been told that is not good and should be taken off. I do not have an answer, but watch and see if they go away.

Fenyx

Administrator
Staff member
The redirects are back. That was a nice 24 hours we had there.
Those grab your screen stuff? Did you get any information on what ad it was? I need information to get the folks to zero in on.