What's blown you away recently?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GODFROMANAL

Reaction score
I've had a buncha "WTF???" exceedingly beautiful new-to-me beers recently—√225, Betelgeuze, WWBV - come to mind…—but nothing sticks out like…
kjgtygQ.jpg

…verbatim what I texted my trading partner who sent it:

"In terms of hop-forward beers that’re outside the realm of sessionability, the only beer I’ve had on this level is Ephraim. And while Ephraim nails the floral profile in such a peerlessly beautiful way, this gets juiciness with no unnecessary bitterness/residual sugar in a genuinely magical way. And the fruit notes aren’t one-dimensional, either! So damn complex. Best IPA I’ve *ever* had in a big way - legit thought I was past the point of being wowed on that level style-wise"

…what about y'all?! Game-changers?

I've had a buncha "WTF???" exceedingly beautiful new-to-me beers recently—√225, Betelgeuze, WWBV - come to mind…—but nothing sticks out like…
kjgtygQ.jpg

…verbatim what I texted my trading partner who sent it:
"In terms of hop-forward beers that’re outside the realm of sessionability, the only beer I’ve had on this level is Ephraim. And while Ephraim nails the floral profile in such a peerlessly beautiful way, this gets juiciness with no unnecessary bitterness/residual sugar in a genuinely magical way. And the fruit notes aren’t one-dimensional, either! So damn complex. Best IPA I’ve *ever* had in a big way - legit thought I was past the point of being wowed on that level style-wise"

…what about y'all?! Game-changers?
Totally agree on this beer. Blew me away

Fully agreed, along with Standard (my summer crusher) & 'merica (500mL!!!). I really dug Okie too. Bomb! was predictably pretty fun. The St. Somewhere collabs didn't really do it for me. Haven't tried Gold/Noir(s)/Funky Galaxy. I can't wait for Puncheon! (I just seem to be the only person on earth who doesn't care for their labels - way too twee / janky Wes Anderson…)

Oh and mead-wise…
c4P5MTs.jpg

…Sleeping Giant may have been a more delicately beautiful mead, bbbuuuttt when it comes to 100% pure hedonism…this trumps it. Anal sex in a bottle. (Can't think of many KBC meads I prefer.)
Also it's vexing - I know this is essentially just a new batch of their old Bourbon Barrel Mead, but - it really tastes so different.

Not beer, but beer trading related...

I have been blown away by the generosity shown by some individuals at a time when I have given up hope and "retired" from trading. I would probably be broke and homeless if the people whom ive traded with "recently" were also trading with me 2-3 years ago when I had boxes coming and going daily.

I'll refrain from tagging people, but you know who you are and it needs to be mentioned with more than just the passing "thank you very much!"

I agree on the Prairie stuff. Everything was good to great. Hop stood out pretty clearly while Funky Galaxy was my least favorite. Haven't had Bomb or the more recent ones. I'm really psyched about their future plans but I just hope they don't over do it. He's said he wants to be the "chubby midwest Mikkeller"...

I finally had my first Hill Farmstead last month - Arthur. Totally lived up to my expectations. Dying for more HF.

Upland's Sour Reserve got me pretty good, too.

Finally got into my CS cellar reserve beers... Sooooo ****ing good! The hibiscus/cinnamon petit sour was my favorite- Was gonna trade some but **** that!

Also, if any of you want to score some prairie hop, ale, or standard let me know. I am more than willing to send some out for some goodies.

S&S 7 was F outstanding yesterday, and I'm about as far away from an HF nut-hugger as you can get.

Had it next to soopa fresh Double Sunshine and there was no comparo eyemoh.

Kuhnhenn's cocktail beers are ludicrous. Ramos Gin Fizz, Mai Tai, and Sazerac in particular.

Back