What's Brewing?: April '19 edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithj21541

Reaction score
Giving a go at a mango hopsicle IPA. Throwing a lot against the wall and seeing if it works. OG 1.062 added 1oz each of citra and azacca into the carboy as I pitched to see if I get any biotransformation working. Will do my normal dry hop once fermentation slows, then transfer onto 3lbs of mango along with .5lb lactose and some vanilla bean paste I found on Amazon.

... American Noble Citra and Mosaic
Are these in some way different? Or are you just poking fun at their ubiquitous use lately?

today I'm going to try my hand at an orange creamsicle mild.
What does your grain bill and ABV look like? Would like to hear your impressions once it's done.

Are these in some way different? Or are you just poking fun at their ubiquitous use lately?

What does your grain bill and ABV look like? Would like to hear your impressions once it's done.

For the former it's a new hop product they were giving out at NHC last year. American Noble is the other half of what's produced when regular hops get turned into lupulin powder/cryo hops. So they're Citra and Mosaic, but the AAs are below 3% and it's a much milder flavor impact.

The mild should come in somewhere around 3.5-4%. I decided to simplify the malt bill a little from previous batches.

6.5lbs Maris Otter
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb C90
1/2lb Biscuit
1/2lb Pale Chocolate

For the former it's a new hop product they were giving out at NHC last year. American Noble is the other half of what's produced when regular hops get turned into lupulin powder/cryo hops. So they're Citra and Mosaic, but the AAs are below 3% and it's a much milder flavor impact.

The mild should come in somewhere around 3.5-4%. I decided to simplify the malt bill a little from previous batches.

6.5lbs Maris Otter
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb C90
1/2lb Biscuit
1/2lb Pale Chocolate
Wow! I don't think I'd heard of the Noble thing. The hop farmers are really maximizing each product. I am intrigued though, guess I need to burn through some of my existing hop stash so I can start ordering new stuff.

Your mild looks nice!

NE DIPA

10 lbs. Maris Otter
4 lbs. Red Wheat

Single infusion mash @ 152F for an hour

2 lbs. of sugar added to the first gallon of run-off then reduced by half. Cooled and added directly to fermenter

1 hour boil without hops for protein coagulation and concentration

Cool to 180F and add 7 oz. Tahoma, 4 oz. Cluster, and 4 oz. Legacy

Cool to ambient and pitch sachet of Munton's Ale Yeast

Two 2-day dry hops with 1 oz. each of the hops above

Pitched around 6 pm or so last night and blowoff was pretty strong this morning. Smells pretty damned good for using hops that I've never used before.

NE DIPA

10 lbs. Maris Otter
4 lbs. Red Wheat

2 lbs. of sugar added to the first gallon of run-off then reduced by half. Cooled and added directly to fermenter

Pitched around 6 pm or so last night and blowoff was pretty strong this morning. Smells pretty damned good for using hops that I've never used before.
This is a very interesting process. Did you adapt it from a Pro brewery or a homebrew blogger?

Checked the quad I brewed last month and it's sitting at 11%. Dried out to 1.014 which is lower than I expected. Going to need some time to age for sure but I like where it's at now.

Recipe in last month's thread?

I don't think I posted the recipe but I used Imperial's Precious yeast with the D-180 candi syrup. The rest of the grist was 16 lbs. of pilsner malt, 2 lbs. Cara Vienna, 1 lb. Carapils, and 0.2 lb. Special B. Also added a 1 lb of corn sugar. Mashed at 148F. In the past I used WLP430 Abbey IV Ale for this beer.

Brewed the 5th iteration of my west coast IPA over the weekend with some small tweaks - added a bit of Chinook on top of the CTZ, Citra and Centennial and upped the IBU's a bit.

Kegged my wild gruit which is tasting awesome, thanks to dimensionx for the recipe!

Kegged my Citra/Mosaic/Idaho 7 NEIPA

Tasted my 17.3% bourbon/oak aged barleywine for the first time and its intense but I actually really enjoy it. It reminds me of the Bruery anniversary ales a bit, with more alcohol presense.

NE DIPA

Just bottled this yesterday. Let the second DH go 5 days so the beer could finish fermenting. Smelled great. Will post a review once it's carbonated and conditioned.

KbYM0R5.jpg

Transferred the IPA onto the adjuncts today, mango not pictured. Nailed my FG 1.012! Tasted solid on its own may have to rebrew without the adjuncts next time.

NE DIPA

10 lbs. Maris Otter
4 lbs. Red Wheat

Just bottled this yesterday. Let the second DH go 5 days so the beer could finish fermenting. Smelled great. Will post a review once it's carbonated and conditioned.

Not into tooting my own horn, but this beer is awesome. Low perceived bitterness, with LOTS of tropical fruit and ripe berries. If you're curious and want to use some hops that you haven't before, I'd HIGHLY recommend ordering these varietals from HopsDirect and brewing a couple beers with them.

Just bottled up another batch of mixed culture saison. This one, though, I decided to get into bottles early and condition entirely in bottles as opposed to my PET secondary.

OG: 1.044
FG: 1.000
Fermented out with Mainiacal Farmhouse Fever (+ Belle + Tilquin/Girardin dregs added on day 5)

5 weeks brew day to bottling. Carbed to 2.5 vol with champagne yeast (Bob Sylvester method). Sample tasted mostly like a clean saison -- Some peach/lemon zest/lemongrass and subtle black pepper and maybe hay. Not bad, but can't wait to see what it develops into in 6+ months

Overall I so far learned that I don't really care for Belle as a saison strain, as I can definitely see what it brings to the table in this fresh sample

heLOL25.jpg

pav7vNX.jpg

Gave my tart saison another go yesterday. My last attempt has some pretty good saison pepper notes but no appreciable tartness. This time switching from goodbelly and whitelabs American farmhouse blend. Going with Omega lacto and then following it up with C2C.

Brewed 10 gallons of west coast IPA yesterday and for the first time in a while came in severely under volume. Not sure if something messed with the evap calculations in beersmith or what but I’m gonna need to rip off like 3 gallons of wort to make up for the shortage :mad:. Might give brulosophy short and shoddy method a try to get it done one of these weeknights.

Brewed 10 gallons of west coast IPA yesterday and for the first time in a while came in severely under volume. Not sure if something messed with the evap calculations in beersmith or what but I’m gonna need to rip off like 3 gallons of wort to make up for the shortage :mad:. Might give brulosophy short and shoddy method a try to get it done one of these weeknights.
Seems odd to be that far off. What was your target volume?

Seems odd to be that far off. What was your target volume?

Looked deeper into it and somehow my equipment profile had indeed been adjusted to a very low boil off rate. Didn’t even register that an abnormally low amount of sweet wort was in the kettle due to being on too much beer at the time. Don’t drink and brew kids. Also must have had trash efficiency for my OG to line up with targets!

Back