What’s brewing- January 2019 edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldcrash1

Reaction score
Too soon?

Haven’t brewed anything hoppy in a while. Decided to ring in 2019 w a Red IPA:

Nearly 100% RedX, with a little Carafoam and one lb dextrose. Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial.

First time using Yakima Valley Hops, all 2018 crop. Probably the freshest- definitely the most intensely aromatic hops I’ve ever handled.

Anybody else brewing today?

Bottled the hemp dry hopped mix fermentation beer yesterday. Pretty happy with where it's at right now. I'm excited to see how it conditions and evolves since there are quite a few brett strains with it.

Hoping to knock out 3 gallons of extract beer during the kids nap time. Just golden light DME. I'm going to use this as a experiment to see how boiling affects hemp. It should pull out flavor and bitterness, but it won't extract any cannabinoids as they aren't water soluble. I'm really interested to see if hemp affects LAB the same way hops do. My house blend of yeast and bacteria has a few very sensitive strains of lacto in them. After the initial fermentation I'll dry the beer out with Saisonstein's Monster and some brett I've got from Central State cans. Then I can figure out where to take it from there.

I use YVH for all of my hop purchases. I have yet to be let down.

Same. YVH quality is fantastic.

Just tasted a mixed culture saison that I have had on 10lbs of peach for a couple months now. Very different from my other fruiting experiences, the acidity is extremely restrained. Tastes more like a white wine with notes of peach skin. Considering dry hopping with citra or azacca before bottle at 3 volumes.

Need to check in on three other mixed culture saisons as well, but I keep putting it off.

Busy weekend not brewing. Dry hopped a farmhouse ale that used Amarillo and azacca in the whirlpool with 4oz of an experimental South African hop - U1/108. Very excited to see how this turns out. It already has a nicely balanced juicy flavor and some minimal funk.

NiTIaMz.jpg

Racked a biere de mars inspired saison onto 10lbs of blackberries.

Bottled a saison that was on 10lbs of peaches.

Ended up with a couple gallons left over of the biere de mars inspired saison and blended it with about a gallon of the peach saison. Should be interesting to see how they turn out after tasting fantastic together already. Hoping for a lot more funk.

I wonder if there such a thing as a smooth brew day? As usual I feel like I do more troubleshooting than being on my brew days. But I was able to knock out 6.25gl of my annual Blonde sour, I even overshot my gravity by a couple points. Tiring, but a successful day nonetheless.
Brewed yesterday. Last brew day was 1/12/18, so just over a year ago. All things considered, things went really well.

IPA
Grist:
16# Pils
4.75# white wheat
1# oats
.5# acid malt
.5lb table sugar

Hops:
1oz Centennial @60
3oz Citra @15
2oz Amarillo @5
3oz Citra @ whirlpool
3oz Amarillo @ whirlpool

Went for a ten gallon batch really just to use up some old grain/hops. Might take a while to drink through these...

Split the two carboys between WLP001 and Wyeast London ale III.

Brewed yesterday. Last brew day was 1/12/18, so just over a year ago. All things considered, things went really well.

IPA
Grist:
16# Pils
4.75# white wheat
1# oats
.5# acid malt
.5lb table sugar

Hops:
1oz Centennial @60
3oz Citra @15
2oz Amarillo @5
3oz Citra @ whirlpool
3oz Amarillo @ whirlpool

Went for a ten gallon batch really just to use up some old grain/hops. Might take a while to drink through these...

Split the two carboys between WLP001 and Wyeast London ale III.
That's a tasty looking recipe! Glad it went smoothly for somebody. Lol

I wonder if there such a thing as a smooth brew day? As usual I feel like I do more troubleshooting than being on my brew days. But I was able to knock out 6.25gl of my annual Blonde sour, I even overshot my gravity by a couple points. Tiring, but a successful day nonetheless.

Two brew days ago I went out on my balcony to get the mash tun in place, smashed a light bulb, glass everywhere, realized I was too hungover and gave up. Brewed the next day though and it went fairly smooth.

I wanted to brew yesterday but I ended doing some organizing and got a pile of stuff to give away that I don't need or can't use any more. Checked on a couple of kegs of sour beer. One is blend of different fermenters that ended up on second use peaches. It's got a touch of a acedic bite to it that doesn't work for me on its own but there's some nice peach flavor to it. So ended up blending that will our club sour base from a barrel that didn't get very acidic but has some nice funk to it. I think the result will work out nicely from what I blended in a glass. I'll send that keg out to the So Cal Homebrew Festival.

Back