What’s Brewing?: July ‘19 edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithj21541

Reaction score
Keeping my streak of at least one batch per month going. Brewed a light lager with rice syrup and Nelson hops yesterday. Nailed og and my Munich lager yeast took off a little quicker than expected. This weekend I’m going to make a non-alcoholic ipa out of the wort our club got from our host brewery. Cross your fingers on that one, I’m just hoping it’s drinkable for the club appreciation event.:confused:

Keeping my streak of at least one batch per month going. Brewed a light lager with rice syrup and Nelson hops yesterday. Nailed og and my Munich lager yeast took off a little quicker than expected. This weekend I’m going to make a non-alcoholic ipa out of the wort our club got from our host brewery. Cross your fingers on that one, I’m just hoping it’s drinkable for the club appreciation event.:confused:

Ha! My beer is already on draft from that pickup. Used kveik Hornindal to ferment it and dry-hopped with Huell Melon and another hop I can't remember (used up the rest of a bag so hopefully it comes to mind at some point).

On Saturday I brewed up a extra pale ale/IPA using Southern Passion and African Queen hops. Fermenting with some English yeast that I saved part of the starter so I can brew up a barleywine next. I also realized later that I might just made my first hazy IPA. Oops!

Brewed my festbier yesterday. Repitched the yeast from my above light lager. Kegged the lager to condition. Productive day overall brewing wise.

I have yet to taste the nonalcoholic IPA I took fermented wort brought to 185ish and held for 30 min. Also added a few ounces of lactose to make up for the lost body. As soon as I turned off the flame and started chilling I hit it with 3oz total of simcoe and citra. Then after it cooled I added 2.5oz of a mix of cryo and normal pellets.

On Saturday I brewed up a extra pale ale/IPA using Southern Passion and African Queen hops. Fermenting with some English yeast that I saved part of the starter so I can brew up a barleywine next. I also realized later that I might just made my first hazy IPA. Oops!

Tapped this beer yesterday. It's a West Coast hazy IPA really. Probably too dry to be a NEIPA. Guess I should of taken a FG reading though to really know. Pretty damn happy with how it turned out.

I brewed another NE IPA last weekend that should hopefully be carbed and kegged by paternity leave next month. I had small amounts of Simcoe & Motueka left from the last batch, so I used them in the boil/whirlpool along with Ekuanot & Mosaic. I'm double dry-hopping with Ekuanot & Mosaic only. I haven't brewed with Ekuanot since it was called Equinox, and I remember it having the slightest green pepper note that I kinda liked.

IMG_0595.jpg

I also blended two different mixed-ferm beers on 7 lbs of Guava. Both beers have been bulk aging for over a year now. One was a turbid mashed sour that I pitched the TYB sour blend in, and the other was a single infusion mash that I co-pitched brett brux and the Ardennes sac strain. After 2 months on guava I plan on bottling them and conditioning them with Champagne yeast.

IMG_0580.jpg

Say what you will about them, I'm loving this peach mango milkshake. Not too thick or sweet, good balance between fruit tartness and lactose creaminess. Surprisingly I'm hardly getting any vanilla at all, but that alright. I feel like peach and mango are tough to beat in this style.

11.9 lb 2 Row
3.0 lb Oats
0.8 lb Wheat
1.5 lb Lactose

0.5 oz Columbus 60 min
2 oz Citra Whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic Whirlpool
5 oz Citra Dry Hop
3 oz Mosaic Dry Hop

4lb Peach (frozen & pureed)
1.5 lb mango (frozen & pureed)
2 vanilla beans