What's Brewing?: May '19 edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up a wee heavy today. Boiled two gallons of first runnings for an hour before adding the rest of the pre-boil volume. Then did a two hour main boil. I also kegged a batch of pils with American Noble Citra and Mosaic and dry hopped a hoppy table blonde ale with Mosaic and Galaxy. Finally, got a new batch of short mead going that had the juice from a 1 gallon Chardonnay kit added to the must.

Brewed up a wee heavy today. Boiled two gallons of first runnings for an hour before adding the rest of the pre-boil volume. Then did a two hour main boil. I also kegged a batch of pils with American Noble Citra and Mosaic and dry hopped a hoppy table blonde ale with Mosaic and Galaxy. Finally, got a new batch of short mead going that had the juice from a 1 gallon Chardonnay kit added to the must.
I never followed up with you. I was looking at a few different homebrew supply sites and can't find the American Noble hops. Do you have a place you order from?

Brewed up a simple honey saison yesterday to let the mixed culture go to town on with pils, wheat and oats. Used some great local honey, will probably add another pound as I didn't hit my exact target gravity.

NM4rNNM.jpg

Also check in on the blackberry saison after a month of conditioning. So far I really love how it's turning out, great balance between sweet, tart and completely drying out. Excited to try another bottle in another month.

Knocked out 3.75gl of DIPA. Split base malt of 2row and pils, 20% white wheat malt, 10% Golden naked oats. Mash hop with Amarillo. Amarillo, Nelson, Mandarina Bavaria, and Sterling at flameout. Efficiency was pretty crappy but still hit a good OG 19*P.

Here's the west coast IPA plan today... Starting from scratch because I was getting frustrated with my old recipe. I feel like NEIPA's are almost impossible to **** up, but I am struggling in the west coast department.

14 lb 2 Row
0.5 lb Wheat
0.5 lb Sugar
0.25 lb Crystal 15

1.25 oz CTZ 60 min
0.75 oz CTZ 10 min
4 oz Idaho 7 Whirlpool
4 oz Centennial Dry Hop
4 oz Citra Dry Hop

Imperial House (gen 2)
200:100 sulfate:chloride

Brewing a 10 gallon batch of German Pils wort tomorrow, and fermenting half with lager yeast in the ferm chamber and half with Oslo at ambient to see how they compare. You know, for science..

Will also try harvesting yeast for the first time if the Oslo batch actually works out. Anyone have any tips or tricks here?

Will also try harvesting yeast for the first time if the Oslo batch actually works out. Anyone have any tips or tricks here?

IDK about Oslo specifically, but most kveik can be top cropped. You just take a sanitized stainless spoon and scoop the top layer into a jar on day 2 or 3 of fermentation. You can save it like normal yeast or dry it from there.

------------

I ordered the sanke to ball lock conversion kit for my sanke coupler. Not sure if anyone has experiences with those they would like to share. I'm just getting tired of changing out my connections all the time.

this is what I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GXBW5KK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KcgnPem.jpg

Not beer but, I did a ultra low sugar kombucha experiment. Oolong tea steeped for 45 minutes at 190*f, I added 2.5oz of sugar and yeast nutrients for the last 5 minutes. I topped the steep off with water to get to 2 gallons. I then pitched the MTF Blend, Saison Yeast, my Brett Blend, and the bottom 1/4 of a GT Dave’s Original bottle. Fermented for 7 days, Kegged and on gas for 3.

The result is a super easy to drink kombucha that is low on acidity and has a very peachy taste to it. I used low enough sugar that even without aceto it would be < .5% ABV. I would like to rebrew this with higher quality tea. This drink is basically no sugar and around 20 calories per pint.

KcgnPem.jpg

Not beer but, I did a ultra low sugar kombucha experiment. Oolong tea steeped for 45 minutes at 190*f, I added 2.5oz of sugar and yeast nutrients for the last 5 minutes. I topped the steep off with water to get to 2 gallons. I then pitched the MTF Blend, Saison Yeast, my Brett Blend, and the bottom 1/4 of a GT Dave’s Original bottle. Fermented for 7 days, Kegged and on gas for 3.

The result is a super easy to drink kombucha that is low on acidity and has a very peachy taste to it. I used low enough sugar that even without aceto it would be < .5% ABV. I would like to rebrew this with higher quality tea. This drink is basically no sugar and around 20 calories per pint.

Damn, this really makes me want to get into doing my own kombucha. None of them have enough ginger.

Back