What's Brewing: September 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeman91821

Reaction score
Currently mashed in on a pilsner wherein I'll be trying out the new American Noble hop products. Basically they're the other half of what happens when regular hops get turned into cryo. So American Noble Mosaic is only about 2.7% AA and is supposed to have more of a noble hop character with just a hint of regular Mosaic's character. So I'll be using that instead of traditional noble hops late in the boil/at flameout. Curious to see how it comes out.

15 gallons of a low ABV pils and wheat beer. Primary fermentation with the kveik I dried last time. I pulled 200ml of wort from the first running of the mash, chilled it down, and pitched in the dried yeast. 1 hour later it was already showing signs of active fermentation.

15 lbs pils
5lbs wheat

No boil only pasteurized at 160*f. Chilled to 100*f and pitched the 1 hour starter of dried MTF blend. I maybe put 5 grams of yeast in the starter. In a few days I'll pitch all my brett and bacteria.

Currently mashed in on a pilsner wherein I'll be trying out the new American Noble hop products. Basically they're the other half of what happens when regular hops get turned into cryo. So American Noble Mosaic is only about 2.7% AA and is supposed to have more of a noble hop character with just a hint of regular Mosaic's character. So I'll be using that instead of traditional noble hops late in the boil/at flameout. Curious to see how it comes out.

I have a bunch of those noble hops. Please report back on how "mosaic-y" they turn out to be. I haven't used any of the noble or cryo hops yet, and they are in the freezer waiting to be used. I'm just not sure how to use them yet.

I went bine to kettle with my homegrown Centennial and Chinook hops. Just a small amount of Pekko hops to bitter and then progressively larger wet hop additions from 10 minutes to whirlpool. I’m also trying out Great Western’s Pale High Color malt for 100% of the grist. Pitched a packet of Mangrove Jacks west coast yeast. Using up some the ingredients I got at Homebrew Con.

I have a bunch of those noble hops. Please report back on how "mosaic-y" they turn out to be. I haven't used any of the noble or cryo hops yet, and they are in the freezer waiting to be used. I'm just not sure how to use them yet.

Will do. I used 2oz total, same as I did with actual noble hops last time, so curious to see exactly how these come across.

I'm going to use most of the cryo hops on an IPA if I get off my lazy butt and brew in the next week or so. I brew 11 gallon batches, and I have a freezer full of hops but I've never used any of the cryo hops yet so I'm interested in seeing how they do in a moderate American IPA.

I have a ton of grain that my buddy hooked me up with (https://www.instagram.com/darkcloudmalthouse/), so I need to motivate myself to get some more brewing in the works.

This weekend, I'm kegging a Saison I did with their Pils, Wheat, and Rye. 2oz of Mosaic at 10 minutes for just enough bitterness and some of that delicious Mosaic character. Used Omega Belgian Saison II, which sounds like Blaugies yeast from their description.

Going to try to brew an Oktoberfest beer this weekend. Have a big starter of WLP 830 that I will step up one more time before the weekend. The Dark Cloud Munich is supposedly 23 SRM, so I had to rework my recipe a bit. Going with 5lbs Vienna, 2lbs Dark Munich, 3.5lbs Pils, and a touch of Melanoidin and Acid malt. All base malts are from Dark Cloud.

We'll see how she turns out. I'll probably do a single decoction, which I haven't done since I converted to BIAB.

3 gallons of 100% pils raw beer. I pulled off about 2 pints worth of wort and boiled 2oz of Saaz hops to create a hop tea. I boiled for an hour while the rest of the beer was mashing. Then I strained the tea and added it to the unboiled portion. I brought the whole thing up to 170*f and whirlpooled an additional 1oz of saaz for 15 minutes. I then chilled to 90*f and added 1 gram of home dried kveik blend.

Where in Maryland are they located? Just curious; didn’t see it on their website

They’re in Howard County. Not sure exactly where. You can buy their malt at MDHB.com or I can pack some up and ship it. He loaded me up with wheat, Munich, Vienna and rye last time I saw him.

First brewing activity in the new house! Bottled my 3yr lambic that I had been aging on peach's from a neighbor's tree.
Ky6PaoD.jpg

First time homebrewing in a couple months. Today I brewed 5 gallons of 1.045 OG saison with Admiral pils, umalted wheat, vienna, flaked oats, and a touch of acidulated malt. Used 1 oz of saaz @ 30 min and 2 oz each of hallertau blanc and nelson in whirlpool. Goal of this is to make a low ABV and hoppy saison to blend with a mature mixed fermentation saison that turned out more acidic than I like.

3 gallons of 100% pils raw beer. I pulled off about 2 pints worth of wort and boiled 2oz of Saaz hops to create a hop tea. I boiled for an hour while the rest of the beer was mashing. Then I strained the tea and added it to the unboiled portion. I brought the whole thing up to 170*f and whirlpooled an additional 1oz of saaz for 15 minutes. I then chilled to 90*f and added 1 gram of home dried kveik blend.

You seem to be all in on the raw beer. I've re-read this post a bunch and am fascinated. Why make the tea? Is that to get some hop bitterness without boiling the entire batch?

You seem to be all in on the raw beer. I've re-read this post a bunch and am fascinated. Why make the tea? Is that to get some hop bitterness without boiling the entire batch?

Traditionally farmers couldn’t afford a copper kettle big enough to boil the whole batch, so they would use a smaller kettle to isomerize the hops. The mash and lautering tons were made of wood. They could use hot stones to help heat the mash but the stones wouldn’t sustain a boil for very long.

I’m finding raw Pilsner beers give a very pleasant malt flavor. It taste the way fresh milled Pilsner smells. If you pair it with a pretty fast acting yeast like Kveik or other Northern European yeast, you can get super fresh beer. Beers that are going grain to glass in less than 7 days.

I really enjoyed the last pils beer I made. My blend has a couple Lactic Acid Bacteria. One way to stop them is to add hops. So to get the same raw pils flavor and inbibit the LAB, I make a hop tea. Whether it was know or not, it seems farmers in Northern Europe used hops to the same effect. Along with drying yeast, farmers in Northern Europe seemed to be able to make clean beer without the aid of modern technology.

I like to try a lot of processes out and see how they fit my style of brewing. It could come out ****, but you never know until you try.

Knocked out 5 gallons of NE-ish double IPA today. Pils, munich, and a little bit each of malted wheat and flaked oats. 4oz of an equal Galaxy/Citra blend at each of 9 minutes left in the boil and a hopstand at 145. Will pitch some 1318 tomorrow morning once the starter is ready.

I’ve never used champagne yeast before but I can’t believe the amount of activity in the cider I made yesterday. Holy **** if those yeast could vote they’d make me President. Just pumping in there.

Gawd I guess it’s time to break out the Igloo coolers and fire up the BUILD Brewing Company again.

I’m trying to lose weight so I think I’m going to try only drinking homebrew at home to encourage myself.

This will work up until the point I have 3 carboys going at once.

Traditionally farmers couldn’t afford a copper kettle big enough to boil the whole batch, so they would use a smaller kettle to isomerize the hops. The mash and lautering tons were made of wood. They could use hot stones to help heat the mash but the stones wouldn’t sustain a boil for very long.

I’m finding raw Pilsner beers give a very pleasant malt flavor. It taste the way fresh milled Pilsner smells. If you pair it with a pretty fast acting yeast like Kveik or other Northern European yeast, you can get super fresh beer. Beers that are going grain to glass in less than 7 days.

I really enjoyed the last pils beer I made. My blend has a couple Lactic Acid Bacteria. One way to stop them is to add hops. So to get the same raw pils flavor and inbibit the LAB, I make a hop tea. Whether it was know or not, it seems farmers in Northern Europe used hops to the same effect. Along with drying yeast, farmers in Northern Europe seemed to be able to make clean beer without the aid of modern technology.

I like to try a lot of processes out and see how they fit my style of brewing. It could come out ****, but you never know until you try.

Man, I really hope your county goes wet. I'm flying out to your farmhouse brewery whenever it opens.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of neipa last night that should be kegged and conditioned in time for when we go up to Door County mid-October. It's basically the same ipa I brewed last month except I'm using Vic Secret & Mosaic, and I treated the water inversely from the west coast profile I did last time. The store was out of 1318, so I'm winging it with Omega British Ale V along with a starter of Imperial A83 Juice.

Towards the end of the boil, I opened a bottle of saison that I bottled a few weeks ago from the recipe that was posted in the saison group/thread: http://www.thefarmhouseobsession.com/2018/06/linternationale-homebrew-recipe.html
I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun saison recipe. I did a split batch and subbed triskel for strisslespalt and pitched wy3724/brux in one and wy3724/clausenii in the other. I bottled the brux fresh and I plan on letting the clausenii go for some time to develop more brett character.

Transferred to keg with 1oz of saaz in keg. I'll let it chill out cold for a bit before tapping.

I've got a NEIPA on tap with 2:1 Amarillo:Galaxy. Very stone fruit forward, digging it the hop combo.

I just added some vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and apple brandy to my Bourbon County clone which has been on oak for the last 9 months. Sitting at 13.8% and should be kegged shortly just in time for fall.

I've got a batch of berliner that soured over the weekend chilling down from a quick boil now. Will get some peach and mango purees about 24 hours into fermentation.

I also kegged my pils with American Noble Mosaic hops. Yooper I'm usually a bad judge of my beers before they're properly chilled/carbonated, but I feel like I was maybe getting a little more Mosaic character than I was anticipating based on the description of the American Noble hops I got at NHC.

Tested out a new brew kit yesterday while brewing something weird for the Flying Bike Iron Brewer fall contest - pick 3 adjuncts from the following list: berries, hot peppers, cinnamon, sage, basil, spruce tips.

Given that spruce tips are out of season and I didn't fancy brewing a stout or porter first time up on a new kit, I've gone with a simple pale Belgian with 3711 yeast - 90% pale, 10% spelt, 2oz hallertauer blanc in whirlpool along with 3 cinnamon stick and 2/3 oz of fresh sage. Plan is to rack onto 2lbs of cranberries to hit the third ingredient, and hope I haven't got 5 gallons of nightmare fuel.

Productive but challenging double brew day today. Got caught in torrential downpour and almost lost the first batch while trying to put the canopy up, then was swarmed by bees while rinsing the mash tun.

Ended up with two beers in fermenters and one bee in a vial of starter wort. So, all-in-all a good day

Last edited:
Back