What's good on Netflix?

Help Support Talkbeer:

dan

The final block of episodes in the Transformers: War for Cybertron series dropped recently. Subtitled “Kingdom” it was a great ending and a great celebration of Beast Wars. If you don’t know the story of Beast Wars, this last block could be confusing since they introduce ~12 new characters who are kinda/sorta the same as many existing characters. Still an excellent conclusion to an excellent series.

I'm way, way, late to the party but Bo Burnham: Inside is fantastic.

People smarter than me have already said why Chappelle's latest special is a disappointment, but it's undeniably offensive that it cost over 6 times as much as Inside and wasn't even half as good.
Man, Burnham is a genius. Really great musician and lyricist. It’s a different, painful kind of funny.

Also late to the party since every online & print outlet has already done 25 stories on it, but Squid Game is weirdly hypnotizing. Wholly original (which is hard to find in 2021 with iCarly reboots) & there's an episode 2/3 of the way through that made all three women in my family start bawling uncontrollably. I'm not sure it's good but it's really, really interesting.

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
I hope all those that have watched/are watching Squid Game have also already watched Alice In Borderland. If not, that should be next up on your list.
I was going to say, I don't think the concept of a battle royale with a prize is original - Alice in Borderland is just a recent entry, with of course Battle Royale and Hunger Games being more well-known examples. Unless maximum12 meant it's not an adaptation.

I was going to say, I don't think the concept of a battle royale with a prize is original - Alice in Borderland is just a recent entry, with of course Battle Royale and Hunger Games being more well-known examples. Unless maximum12 meant it's not an adaptation.
I haven't seen Alice in Borderland or Battle Royale but I'll put both on my long list. Hunger Games was more mano-o-mano that this & I wouldn't link them together plot-wise except in a sweeping generalization. But it's certainly possible there have been similar shows/movies with a theme like this, I just haven't seen them.

Also late to the party since every online & print outlet has already done 25 stories on it, but Squid Game is weirdly hypnotizing. Wholly original (which is hard to find in 2021 with iCarly reboots) & there's an episode 2/3 of the way through that made all three women in my family start bawling uncontrollably. I'm not sure it's good but it's really, really interesting.
2 episodes in and I like it. Fucked up, sure, but I think it's good.

The first episode had some brutal dialogue (pre-game) for anyone whose known or lived with someone with gambling addiction.

yes, but a wife job at my place
That sounded sexist. What I meant is, when we're watching something I've sorta trained myself to let go of distracting thoughts like "isn't that the guy from Lost" or whatever. I used to allow myself to pick up the phone and run to imdb and then I'm wormholing on some deep "that guy" shit and interrupt my wife to say something stupid like "holy shit, I never realized the dying dude in Magnolia was the old guy in the wheelchair on Christmas Vacation..." which is usually met with "dude, are you even watching this?" which obviously I'm not.

She does this too but almost entirely about the current age of actresses. I do too, but I can let it go. Except last week when we were watching something with Nicole Kidman's bare 54yo ass. "Pause! How old is that ass?"

When I see her grab the phone now, I know to pause the show. We're a team.

Latest posts