What's In Your Wallet: The Credit Card Points/Rewards Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

For a few years now, nearly every dollar we've spent has gone through some sort of rewards credit card, and I'm a big follower of The Points Guy as well as Travel Codex. We travel a lot so we primarily use travel rewards cards. We used to have a Capital One Venture Card but ditched that a year or so back. Currently I'm using a Delta Amex Platinum and a Chase Sapphire Preferred. We are primarily Delta flyers so platinum gives us the benefit of priority boarding and a free companion ticket yearly (which is important because it's always $500+ to fly out of Montana on any significant flight), and quite a few extra miles. Amex customer service is great too. This year we hit some spending thresholds to get extra miles and MQMs on Delta. Got the Chase card recently as well for the massive sign up bonus and because of all of the different points transfer partners. Not having foreign exchange fees on either is nice as well. Chase just also announced a new Sapphire Reserve card that looks awesome, but pricey to hold.

So is anyone else out there stockpiling points/miles/rewards? What's your strategy?

For the past few years we have been using a Southwest Visa Card. Like it because there is no cap on the amount of points you can accumulate in a year and the points never expire. Also, there are no black out periods. The only down side is that it costs $99 a year to have the card.

IHG Rewards MasterCard here. $49/year gives you auto-platinum status and one free night at any of their hotels every year. Travel approximately 10-20x per year for business and stay mostly at Holiday Inns or Holiday Inn Expresses so figured it was worth it. Parlayed IHG status into Hilton Diamond status earlier this year during a match offer. We do more road trips than flights so a hotel card was more beneficial than something that accumulated miles. I don't think I've paid for a hotel room in five years. IHG has a huge footprint so if you're a little flexible and don't expect five star treatment, it's a solid card.

My wife and I both have Navy Federal Visa Cash Rewards cards , 1.5 % cash back the rewards never expire and there is no rewards limit. We both also have Military Star Cards it is a credit card but it is issued by the military exchange shopping there is a plus because the prices are competitive and it's tax free I am retired but live close to a Naval Air Station were we can go shop. The way their rewards work is You earn 2 Points for each $1 of purchases charged on your Account. After accumulating 2000 points, you will automatically receive a $20 MILITARY STAR rewards card. My wife also travels a lot for our small business so she has a Delta Sky Miles card. And last at my last duty station my wife worked at a Fairfield Inn as a night auditor for a couple of years. As you can imagine in a military town there were always ton of military personnel checking in on orders for various training it might be a week or a month or more. My wife had a rewards card thru the hotel she would put all these guest's stays on her card (with the guest's approval) needless to say she has a shit ton of points on that thing we have done a couple of road trips were we stayed at 5 star hotels because of all the points she has for absolutely free.

I have had the REI Mastercard for years. Probably sucks as far as cash back and points compared to other cards, but get 5% back on REI purchases. Which I mainly use that card for a few times at the store for would be purchases anyways. Get a bigger dividend at the end of the year. Thinking about it not the best card, need something better for flight(s)? Or a free or discounted ticket when I sign up for a new card.

do you do MS? i've been lazy on the churn etc since the days of the Mint - just using United MileagePlus Club card for 1.5x/$ and have nearly 500k piled

do you do MS? i've been lazy on the churn etc since the days of the Mint - just using United MileagePlus Club card for 1.5x/$ and have nearly 500k piled
No, I'm not big on manufactured spending but can see a few scenarios where I would use it. I've often thought about cycling money through my PayPal account to get some random spending bonuses when offered but the 3% fee usually negates and real benefit to it.

So interested in this thread. I have two garbage cards with high APRs and no rewards. One of em even has a $36 annual fee. It's basically because of lazyness but im going on 16 years with one card and 13 with the other. APR was high because I was young with no credit. Has never really been a problem since I always paid em down.

My goal for this year is to either get the stupid capital one upgraded to a travel reward card if they will do it, and failing that I would like to open a new line with travel rewards. Would be interested to know what the best current deals around town are. Got pretty good but not perfect credit...(let a hospital bill go delinquent a few years back while I was arguing over the balance. Have since sucked it up and paid it.)

I am carrying a bit of a balance for the first time in my life since the wife was only working 1 day a week until our son turns 6 months old. Would like to get that balances resolved before opening any new lines of credit.

Josh

Premium Non-Supporting Supporter
Staff member
Contributor
AMEX corporate card with no limit.
I signed up for the rewards, but I haven't bothered to look and see where I'm at. Would be good to know since I put close to 5 grand a month on it.
I'd probably just cash it out for something stupid like gift cards to amazon anyways.

My wife and I have the Capital One Venture card. $59/year to use but we probably put at least $50k/year on it. We put everything possible on it and pay it off regularly. The rewards from it is excellent and well worth $59/year.

We travel once every 12-18 months for a free week long vacation because of this card. We love it.

tosh

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Srs. You all realize the rewards are paid in fees by the retailers you buy from?

Please tell me you know this?

I guess technically you is getting something, just meaning we non card users pay for your rewards

I pay cash for everything for a reason.

beerandraiderfan these cedit card uses are all twats. These reward programs drive up prices for us cash only people.

For a few years now, nearly every dollar we've spent has gone through some sort of rewards credit card, and I'm a big follower of The Points Guy as well as Travel Codex. We travel a lot so we primarily use travel rewards cards. We used to have a Capital One Venture Card but ditched that a year or so back. Currently I'm using a Delta Amex Platinum and a Chase Sapphire Preferred. We are primarily Delta flyers so platinum gives us the benefit of priority boarding and a free companion ticket yearly (which is important because it's always $500+ to fly out of Montana on any significant flight), and quite a few extra miles. Amex customer service is great too. This year we hit some spending thresholds to get extra miles and MQMs on Delta. Got the Chase card recently as well for the massive sign up bonus and because of all of the different points transfer partners. Not having foreign exchange fees on either is nice as well. Chase just also announced a new Sapphire Reserve card that looks awesome, but pricey to hold.

So is anyone else out there stockpiling points/miles/rewards? What's your strategy?
Lol

My wife and I have the Capital One Venture card. $59/year to use but we probably put at least $50k/year on it. We put everything possible on it and pay it off regularly. The rewards from it is excellent and well worth $59/year.

We travel once every 12-18 months for a free week long vacation because of this card. We love it.
Ditto. We put everything on the card and pay it off every month. I also have a United Mileage Plus Explorer card that I plan on ditching soon. Fuck United

Srs. You all realize the rewards are paid in fees by the retailers you buy from?

I guess technically you is getting something, just meaning we non card users pay for your rewards

beerandraiderfan these cedit card uses are all twats. These reward programs drive up prices for us cash only people.
so why not become a rewards card user? i don't have a rewards card, but if you don't like that others are getting an advantage, why not join 'em? do you pay cash because you don't want retailers to have to cover the rewards?

For the past few years we have been using a Southwest Visa Card. Like it because there is no cap on the amount of points you can accumulate in a year and the points never expire. Also, there are no black out periods. The only down side is that it costs $99 a year to have the card.
Ditto, I've had mine for 4 years now and earned a Companion Pass every year. If you fly a lot (or even a fair amount) for work and can fly SW, this is a no-brainer to me. All accumulated points from the card (including the 50k point signing bonus) go towards Companion Pass so it is very easy to earn. I'll be getting mine for next year when my trip for this week is completed and I *only* travel about 50% for work.

I really hate flying Southwest...the noobs, the cattle call boarding, the no-first class, the noobs...but their rewards program can't be beat. Complete refunds on any trips booked/cancelled, it only costs $5.60 each way, super easy to earn, some super cheap flights available, etc. Oh yeah, and free checked bags for beer trips.

$99 annual fee (waved the first year) but it's worth it for my fiance to fly for free where ever we want (in US/Latin America), whenever we want, as many times as we want. I currently have ~150k points with about 60k tied up in flights of which I'll cancel about half of them (Phish tour).

Even if you don't fly a ton, it is worth looking into. There are actually 2 different cards that you can get, each with a 50k signing bonus. You need 110k for Companion Pass. If you time it right, and can spend ~$10k in a few months, you can earn the Companion Pass (for the following year) in like February and then you will have it for 22 months with 110k points to blow + whatever you earn before you cancel the cards.

We all pay for the rewards.

You're losing money not trying to get some of that back by using reward programs.

The Chase Sapphire is a good card and the one I normally use for basic expenses and pay off each month. The points rack up and then are applied to the bill. It's the best value for those points.

I also have a Chase Marriott card that throws out a free night plus racks up Marriott points for use. This card isn't used much but sometimes they run specials where the points are a great deal. My wife travels for work and stays at Marriott so she has a ton of their points. We can combine her points with what we get from the card for a lot of free nights.

I also have an Amex for the business which has a pretty good cashback program. It was great when Costco only took Amex but now they have switched I rarely use the Amex.

Paging MKtheGeneral and Gene

I just have a Citi Thank you Premier card that I use for everything (and then pay off every month). I believe it has an annual fee, which is waived for me as a Citi employee. 3x points for travel and gas and 2x for dining/entertainment. My dad also typically pays cash for everything, so now any time we're out or he's booking travel we just put it on my card and then deposits the amount in my checking account. So far after a little more than a year, while snagging some bonus points related to spending in my first three months, I've got $1300 worth of airfare in points after using some to pay for my flights for The Festival in October.

I use the American Airlines AAdvantage Silver Aviator card. High annual fee of $195 the only downside. Free Global Entry with TSA Pre Check (~$100/yr), companion pass at 30k spend, and two free bags for each person travelling with you (up to 5 people) make the high fee go away quick. Travelling with a kid those free bags come in super handy when having to check travel cribs and shit.

I'm sitting on like 250k AA miles. I think I'm going to use them on a nice first class trip to Fiji or somewhere for the first trip my wife and I take when we can leave little dude with his grandparents.

Probably not the best card, but I get a ton of value out of the perks every year that makes the high fee tolerable.

Latest posts