What's In Your Wallet: The Credit Card Points/Rewards Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Are you adding your trusted traveler number during booking? I just flew Alaska and got pre check for me, the wife, and the baby without issues.
Yeah, maybe my name is spelled differently, I read that is a possibility that will boot the detail from the ticket.

Will try and figure it out and report back.

In June on our vacation to Hawaii we're spending two days in San Diego on either end of the trip. Orginally we were doing this because Sheila's brother lives in San Diego and we were going to stay with him. Unfortunately the Navy told him he has to be in Alabama in June. Now we have to book a hotel. I was looking at Rocketmiles which rewards you with miles deposited to the rewards program of your choice and the prices are in line with other booking sites. Or I can book through my timeshare, RCI, and just pay less overall. For example, The San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina is 214 a night through Rocketmiles and rewards us a bonus 6000 miles for the stay. Or if I book through RCI I'm paying 142 a night. Which do you think is a better deal? It's a 2 night stay so I'd be getting 6000 miles to my Alaska Airlines account for $144. It would cost $165 if I just bought those miles. It's not much of a savings in that regard, but I'm also about 10,000 miles short of having a useful number of miles.

After having typed this out I feel like I've answered my own question. Just book through RCI.

In June on our vacation to Hawaii we're spending two days in San Diego on either end of the trip. Orginally we were doing this because Sheila's brother lives in San Diego and we were going to stay with him. Unfortunately the Navy told him he has to be in Alabama in June. Now we have to book a hotel. I was looking at Rocketmiles which rewards you with miles deposited to the rewards program of your choice and the prices are in line with other booking sites. Or I can book through my timeshare, RCI, and just pay less overall. For example, The San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina is 214 a night through Rocketmiles and rewards us a bonus 6000 miles for the stay. Or if I book through RCI I'm paying 142 a night. Which do you think is a better deal? It's a 2 night stay so I'd be getting 6000 miles to my Alaska Airlines account for $144. It would cost $165 if I just bought those miles. It's not much of a savings in that regard, but I'm also about 10,000 miles short of having a useful number of miles.

After having typed this out I feel like I've answered my own question. Just book through RCI.
I've looked a bunch of times but have never been able to use Alaska miles on their site. The most useful way to use Alaska miles in my experience is booking American Airlines flights. I suppose if you lived in Seattle or Alaska, they would be far more useful, but I do not... so their reward program doesn't really work for me.

I’m sad the Amex Premier Rewards Gold got rid of their bonus on gas, but 4x on supermarkets and 4x on Restaurants is pretty nice. The jump in the annual fee stings, so unfortunately I’ll probably downgrade when my free year is up.

Impressive work. I maxed out the grocery store quarter. I honestly think it might be one of the most underrated cards on the market. The 5% back each quarter categories are clutch.
Not all that impressive, I'm furnishing my basement so I just waited until it rolled around to get my 5x :) Agree on the 5x though. I can usually get pretty damn close to maxing them out each time around.

After two years of having the CSR and somewhere between 10-15 short/weekend trips, I've noticed flights are not a good deal via the points the vast majority of the time. Only hotels and car rentals seem to be advantageous when using points.

Am I doing it wrong? Missing something?

After two years of having the CSR and somewhere between 10-15 short/weekend trips, I've noticed flights are not a good deal via the points the vast majority of the time. Only hotels and car rentals seem to be advantageous when using points.

I've only ever used them by transferring to partners. That's where I've found the best deals.

Gotta transfer. International and/or premium seating will be the best value. I've used the points to pay but only when I had a ton and was looking at a good value for the flight.

I was curious about this as well. I have CSR + Freedom + Freedom Unlimited for the trifecta and have been largely disappointed when looking to buy through the travel portal. Good to know about transferring to partners.

Gotta transfer. International and/or premium seating will be the best value. I've used the points to pay but only when I had a ton and was looking at a good value for the flight.
International Business class tickets are usually only 2x the price of international economy, vs. the 4x the price when paying cash.

There are some great deals to be had, but it takes a lot of research.

Be careful of hotels, they don't include taxes or fees in the price quoted.

Also remember that you get 1.5 cents per point from CSR, so in essence you're getting a 50% discount. If you spent cash on travel or dining, then you're looking at 4.5 cents per dollar spent.

It's not usually good to book international business reward flights through the portal. More info here, and make sure you click the other articles linked:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/sapphire-reserve-book-travel-through-chase-or-transfer/

Just got hit with my CSR annual fee today. I've had it for two years so it was about that time to cancel it and apply for the CSP to get the bonus.

NOPE. Chase changed the bonus eligibility on the Sapphire line of cards to one every 48 months.

Got a Freedom Unlimited instead as I don't think I'll come anywhere close to maxing the 5% for the categories this quarter. Will probably apply for a Freedom soon though and just use one of the Freedom/Freedom Unlimited/CSR to maximize the rewards and transfer to partners (which is what I should have been doing all along anyway).

Just got hit with my CSR annual fee today. I've had it for two years so it was about that time to cancel it and apply for the CSP to get the bonus.

NOPE. Chase changed the bonus eligibility on the Sapphire line of cards to one every 48 months.

Got a Freedom Unlimited instead as I don't think I'll come anywhere close to maxing the 5% for the categories this quarter. Will probably apply for a Freedom soon though and just use one of the Freedom/Freedom Unlimited/CSR to maximize the rewards (which is what I should have been doing anyway) and transfer to partners.
The CSR is becoming a little less palatable IMO but I still love the travel credit and some of the things that randomly get me 3x when I spend a lot of money there (thanks, Cantillon). But I may end up ditching it next year and going with a different combo of cards.

The CSR is becoming a little less palatable IMO but I still love the travel credit and some of the things that randomly get me 3x when I spend a lot of money there (thanks, Cantillon). But I may end up ditching it next year and going with a different combo of cards.
I'm in the same boat but I need to keep it so I can transfer the Freedom/Freedom Unlimited points to a travel partner. Downgrading to CSP will only effectively save me $65 a year after the travel bonus so I figure I'll just keep it for now for the 3x on dining and travel.

Excited to have finally used the miles I've been saving up for the last 18 months or so on my Chase Ink card. Just booked a ticket for me, my wife and daughter to go to Rome and fly home from Barcelona next summer.

Been thinking about checking out the Capital One Venture card that has a 75k signup bonus now.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/capital-one-venture-current-offer/

Excited to have finally used the miles I've been saving up for the last 18 months or so on my Chase Ink card. Just booked a ticket for me, my wife and daughter to go to Rome and fly home from Barcelona next summer.

Been thinking about checking out the Capital One Venture card that has a 75k signup bonus now.

Capital One also recently announced a bunch of new travel partners, including EVA Air which is great for people who fly to Asia. That said, there are a lot of data points out there of CapOne denying people with good credit who are well under the typical 5/24 rule-of-thumb for CC applications

How many miles/what class? Sounds like a great road trip from Rome to Barcelona!

Group Builder