Work Trip to Spokane in March

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lognar

Reaction score
Hey PNW folks. I found out this week I'll be travelling to Spokane, WA for a work trip. I'll be flying in on Sunday March 2nd and flying home that Thursday.

Anything beer or food related that I should know about? I won't be traveling away from Spokane because there won't be much time, but any beer releases I should know about or local breweries to check out?

Who knows, maybe I'll be free to meet some PNW folks for a beer. Let me know.

And don't worry tennispl, I'll leave some PNW brews for you to send me in our trade. ;)

There's this goat by the carousel and you feed it garbage and it sucks it up into it's mouth. It's pretty neat when you're drunk.

Also I won't be there those days so just hang yourself in the hotel closet.

Also I'm drunk so maybe a real answer some other time.

ok well there are no beer releases in Spokane, but go to Manito Tap House, Pint's Ale House, Iron Goat Brewing, No-Li Brewing, Ramblin Road, Waddell's Brewpub (north one), and go to the lantern and tell Tyler hunting is immoral.

• Iron Goat should be rockin the triple IPA by that time and why is there a bullet? I didn't want bullets.
  • libbey
  • Orlison sucks

ok well there are no beer releases in Spokane, but go to Manito Tap House, Pint's Ale House, Iron Goat Brewing, No-Li Brewing, Ramblin Road, Waddell's Brewpub (north one), and go to the lantern and tell Tyler hunting is immoral.

• Iron Goat should be rockin the triple IPA by that time and why is there a bullet? I didn't want bullets.
  • libbey
  • Orlison sucks
That was a quick sober up!! The devil's dandruff?

I will also be out of town, so another vote for noose.

Otherwise Joe's advice was semi-solid, not unlike most of his poo. Although, I would modify Waddell's to be the South Hill location - better overall selection and usually have a couple of the house ales on tap.

If you're looking for bottles, just head to Huckleberry's or Total Wine.

If you wanna drive out to Post Falls - 35 min from downtown - you could hit Enoteca. Good selection, proud prices.

Cheers and have a good time!

I will likely be in town and can probably find time to have a beer. I will forget about this thread by tomorrow though so a reminder here or via PM a couple days before you head out would be great.
Cheers!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Do you think a necktie would get the job done or should I pack rope? If rope, any recommendations?

SaltyMalty, I'll hit you up when it's closer. tennispl and I are trying to find to time to have a beer too - he suggested Manito Tap House.

Definitely going to try and shoot over to Post Fall for Enoteca. The place sounds top notch. Thanks harrymel.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Do you think a necktie would get the job done or should I pack rope? If rope, any recommendations?

SaltyMalty, I'll hit you up when it's closer. tennispl and I are trying to find to time to have a beer too - he suggested Manito Tap House.

Definitely going to try and shoot over to Post Fall for Enoteca. The place sounds top notch. Thanks harrymel.

I would add a qualifier about Enoteca - if you go to Post Falls/Couer D' Alene hit up a Pilgrim's supermarket before going nuts at Enoteca. They have a lot of craft not available over the border in WA and some of the same beer a little cheaper. Enoteca would be the place for a little bit more .rar stuff.

If you're going to Post Falls, I would consider a stop at Selkirk Abbey a must. Great beer!

Bottles are all over in stores now, but the taproom is definitely worth the visit. One of the nicest taprooms in the area.

The minuses for it are no food and it's a cellular black hole so you gotta backlog your tickittytick peengrow.

Thank you everyone for the beer-centric recommendation, but now I need some good food recommendations for the Spokane area. Good beer is not essential, just looking for good non-chain food recommendations.

Thanks again!

Thank you everyone for the beer-centric recommendation, but now I need some good food recommendations for the Spokane area. Good beer is not essential, just looking for good non-chain food recommendations.

Thanks again!

Manito Tap House - Good food too
Gordy's - Szechuan
HAHA's - Korean
Pho Van - Pho
Wasabi - Sushi
Itallia Tratoria - Italian
Italian Kitchen - Italian
Dick's - Burgers by the bagfull
Waddell's - Angina
White House Grill (Post Falls) - Excellent Greek and next door to enoteca
Sante - Fine dining/Charcueutuueterie
Mizuna - Vegetarian mostly but really good food
Wild Sage - Real good semi-fancy
Clinkerdagger - Delishus, espensive
Linnie's - Thai
Sri Praesert - Thai, spicier, more basil, stronger drinks, bar fights
High Nooner - Best sammiches in the whole world
Clover - Fancy, Tasty

This took me like 90 seconds. I like food.

Manito Tap House - Good food too
Gordy's - Szechuan
HAHA's - Korean
Pho Van - Pho
Wasabi - Sushi
Itallia Tratoria - Italian
Italian Kitchen - Italian
Dick's - Burgers by the bagfull
Waddell's - Angina
White House Grill (Post Falls) - Excellent Greek and next door to enoteca
Sante - Fine dining/Charcueutuueterie
Mizuna - Vegetarian mostly but really good food
Wild Sage - Real good semi-fancy
Clinkerdagger - Delishus, espensive
Linnie's - Thai
Sri Praesert - Thai, spicier, more basil, stronger drinks, bar fights
High Nooner - Best sammiches in the whole world
Clover - Fancy, Tasty

This took me like 90 seconds. I like food.

Damn JoeLikesBeer! Thanks! And you'd recommend all of them?

I think:

Pho: Vina >>>> Pho Van
Sushi: none are very good if you're versed in sushi, maybe Sushi Yama as the guy drives out and hand picks all his cuts, but be prepared for shitty service

Steak: don't. People love Churchill's, but meh.
Italian: Italia Trattoria is one of the best places to eat Italian that isn't just mashed up tomatoes in a sauce.
Gordy's is good Szechuan
Waddell's is good pub fare

That took me several minutes, I'm not Joe.

Hey Lognar, How bout a trip report? We like those in the Northwest.

Ok ok...

Unfortunately, I didn't hit a lot of local food joints due to location, time constraints, and our vendor paying for lunch and dinner most days.

Sunday - Dinner at the Flying Goat. Had "The Kiernan" and Maui Coconut Porter. Pizza was fantastic, but not so much the beer. Bought a Flying Goat mug for dat #localglassware.

Monday - HuHot for lunch. Damn good Mongolian joint, but then again again I'm a sucker for a bunch of food bits mixed together on a plate.

Manito Tap House with SaltyMalty and tennispl. Highlight of the trip for me! Great food, amazing place, and excellent people! The staff was awesome at Manito. SaltyMalty brought gifts for tennispl and I, and SaltyMalty and tennispl brought beers to share with myself and the staff at Manito. I had Bale Breaker Topcutter and damn son! Zombie Dust better watch its back. Srs. SaltyMalty gave me a lift back to my hotel and stopped at a few bottle shops on the way and I was able to score a huge want with Ninkasi Critical Hit Barleywine (I love nerdy D&D themed beer labels).

Tuesday - Flaming Joes for lunch. Wasabi Wings were my jam. Would bang again. Also hit up Total Wine, Bottles, and Enoteca in the afternoon. Total haul was: Midnight Sun Fallen Angel, Avery Demons of Ale set, Fremont KDS, Epic Big Bad Baptist, and some Bale Breaker Top Cutter. I had to limit myself because A) I could have gone crazy B) suitcase space and C) I am swapping boxes with tennispl this week. Sorry tennispl is you were sending me duplicates of any of the beers I picked up (don't tell me if you did), but trust me that I won't mind doubles of any of these for sure.

Wednesday - Irish pub on Sprague for lunch. I reubened and it was pretty good. The bread and corned beef were fantastic! Dinner with the vendor I was meeting with at Twigs - I had the Cordon Bleu pizza, a Manhattan, and Laphroaig 10 for desert. Pizza was very hnnnnnggggx10 but Manhattan was meh.

All in all, I really loved the Spokane area. It was wonderful to meet up with William and Peter. The beer shelves in Spokane were crazy! Sucaba, Double DBA, and XVII just turding it up all over the place. Again, Bale Break Topcutter was a definite surprise and is an unbelievably good IPA.

One regret was missing out on getting to Selkirk Abbey, but they close at 7 every day and there just wasn't time to make it over. Would have loved to have grabbed a flight (everything sounded amazing) and some glassware. I regret not grabbing a few bombers at Total Wine now. :-(

Not the most exciting trip, I know, but Manito with William and Peter really made the trip for me. Thanks guys for the evening, the hospitality, and the generousity!

Cool thread, I'm heading out to Spokane for a few days with my wife and daughter in May and all this info seems pretty useful.

Any recommendations for sights to see, things to do, places to hike?

Cool thread, I'm heading out to Spokane for a few days with my wife and daughter in May and all this info seems pretty useful.

Any recommendations for sights to see, things to do, places to hike?
How old is daughter?
What kind of hikes? intensity and duration would be nice to know
Are you going to be here for Bloomsday? (first weekend in May) - if so, there might be a Deschutes brewer's dinner in town that might have some BB XXII on draft (preliminary info, no guarantees)

How old is daughter?
What kind of hikes? intensity and duration would be nice to know
Are you going to be here for Bloomsday? (first weekend in May) - if so, there might be a Deschutes brewer's dinner in town that might have some BB XXII on draft (preliminary info, no guarantees)

I'll be in town from May 14th through the 17th or so. My daughter is six. Day hikes up to 4 or 5 hours would probably be what we're looking for. Don't mind driving an hour so to go somewhere. High intensity is no problem and actually preferred.

It looks like Mt. Spokane may have some options that would work, and another thought is possibly heading to the Turnbull Wildlife Refuge. We'll be heading to Montana when we leave Spokane so any really cool hikes in/around the C'oeur D'Alene National Forest could work too.

I'll be in town from May 14th through the 17th or so. My daughter is six. Day hikes up to 4 or 5 hours would probably be what we're looking for. Don't mind driving an hour so to go somewhere. High intensity is no problem and actually preferred.

It looks like Mt. Spokane may have some options that would work, and another thought is possibly heading to the Turnbull Wildlife Refuge. We'll be heading to Montana when we leave Spokane so any really cool hikes in/around the C'oeur D'Alene National Forest could work too.

Turnbull is nice that time of year but not really any sort of workout. Very flat. Mt Spokane is beautiful but you may have pretty soggy conditions that time of year and probably ice/snow in a lot of places.

A good 3-4 hour hike with a six year old would be the Liberty Lake loop, which is not too far off I-90 as you go east. Another favorite of mine is the Stevens creek trail to big rock - http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/big-rock If your daughter is the scamper-up-a-boulder type, she'll love that one.

We also have a lot of options basically in the middle of town. Dishman Hills, Shields Park/Minehaha, Bowl and Pitcher.

Spokane ****ing rules.

Back