yo san diego, where the hell are the farmhouse breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandmeaulnes

Reaction score
for being the self-proclaimed "craft beer capital of america" how is there no dedicated farmhouse/brett beer brewery local to us?

in 2014:

•i will not abide lost abbey making our most noteworthy local saisons
•seizoen bretta will not = my go-to shelf saison
•i will boycott new, uninspired clone breweries as they open en masse and offer 5 hoppy beers and a bunch of other shitty beers.

do i need to buy my own foudres?

*mic drop*

RED BARN RED BARN RED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARNRED BARN RED BARN

ku-xlarge.gif

idk their only saison is lomaland, i think, which is entirely unremarkable. also yeah, the marketing is incredibly offputting.

i had a realization the other day that theyre literally the exact opposite of HF (all hype, no amazing beers)

idk their only saison is lomaland, i think, which is entirely unremarkable. also yeah, the marketing is incredibly offputting.

i had a realization the other day that theyre literally the exact opposite of HF (all hype, no amazing beers)

Blazing World is awesome, love those damn cans.

Is someone complaining that one county doesn't have more world class breweries? San Diego doesn't have a brewery specializing in a new style (I know the style is old as ****, but it has risen from the dead just recently), the world might end. I live in the state with the best distribution in the nation and get skipped by a lot of the great breweries, but even still realize that I am luckier than states like New Mexico. I'm just glad that at least Firestone has made their home here giving me 1 world class brewery within a 3 hour radius.

its true but i want something local, something along the lines of SARA. it seems reasonable enough.

I've had a fair amount of SARA's beers and I've actually found them to be pretty unremarkable. Good but not great and worthy of all the hype they get. So far anyway. I'm definitely willing to give them more time and try more in the future, but I don't think they're worthy of the hype they've gotten so far.

I think you're mixing up Modern Times and Saint Archer or Golden Road

IMO, MT is developing some solid core beers that are more interesting than a lot of other places' core beers. The small batch experiments and variations have been good too. But what I'm really looking forward to is when Mike gets their sour and funky program going; I had the fortune of trying some of his homebrew stuff and it is fantastic. If it scales up and he's able to bring those talents to full production then they are going to be making some incredible stuff down the road. For now I'm willing to give them time to develop that and dial in their core lineup (as everyone has with Societe as well).

Also, it's ridiculous to compare HF to MT at this stage

no im thinking of MT.

the amount of over-the-top PR is ridiculous, much more grating actually than even saint archer (who strike me as more or less purely a cash cow).

this would be ok, if annoying, if the beer was amazing. none of the MT beers ive had have been amazing.

and im not comparing HF to MT in any other regard than the hilarious disparity between advertising/hype:quality.

this thread isnt about MT though, its about wanting a farmhouse brewery in SD!

no im thinking of MT.

the amount of over-the-top PR is ridiculous, much more grating actually than even saint archer (who strike me as more or less purely a cash cow).

this would be ok, if annoying, if the beer was amazing. none of the MT beers ive had have been amazing.

and im not comparing HF to MT in any other regard than the hilarious disparity between advertising/hype:quality.

I don't really want to get into an argument over it but you kind of missed my point. No, they haven't put out anything amazing that is huge trade bait or anything. But I think their beers are at least solid to good. Give them some time to develop the experimental and funky stuff that takes more time to either ferment or dial in. Based off Mike Tonsmeire's homebrew stuff I think they do have a lot of potential to put out what you're looking for. And remember that it took Crooked Stave well over a year to put out anything good while MT's been open for what 6 months?

I wish we had as many awesome breweries up here within an hour as you guys have in San Diego. I have Drakes and soon Rare Barrel about 45 minutes away. 2 hours and there's SARA, Russian River and other good ones. San Diego has a ton all within a 30-40 minute drive. I wouldn't mind buying Seizoen Bretta or Crooked Stave if I had Societe, Alpine, AleSmith, Hess, etc plus Toronado within driving distance

I've had a fair amount of SARA's beers and I've actually found them to be pretty unremarkable. Good but not great and worthy of all the hype they get. So far anyway. I'm definitely willing to give them more time and try more in the future, but I don't think they're worthy of the hype they've gotten so far.

your opinion is hereby invalidated.

THANKS, try again.

your opinion is hereby invalidated.

THANKS, try again.

To each their own. I'm not saying they're bad. Every beer I've had from them has been good but I've had several better versions of each comparable style from other places.

Back