Zwanze Day 2014 - Birch Bar, Norfolk VA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBP

Reaction score
So it is looking like I may be in the general area (about an hour drive away) from Norfolk on Zwanze Day, and was wondering if anyone attended at Birch Bar last year and what it was like? Plans aren't finalized yet but curious what the scene is there.

I haven't been for Zwanze day, but that's a tiny little bar so it will probably be packed.

likely not going this year but it was very packed last year. also bear in mind that you are likely not able to get inside (they have a patio) as they open their doors early to their mug-club or whatever they call it and they grab all the inside tables/chairs

Yeah I just found a thread on the other site with some info about last year. Were kegs kicking and bottles selling out before they allowed the general public in? 3 hours is a lot of time for a "private session" for members only, the exclusivity of doing something like that seems to kind of go against the whole idea of Zwanze Day...

Last edited:
the club members didn't go in 3 hours early last year (I'm not sure they got in even 1 hour early...) but everything was still available when they officially "opened"

the club members didn't go in 3 hours early last year (I'm not sure they got in even 1 hour early...) but everything was still available when they officially "opened"

Oh ok, that's what the BA thread said, open for club members 12-3 everyone else allowed in at 3...guess they never updated the thread prior to the event. Regardless good to hear it didn't affect what was available.

well, I'm saying that based on what I saw there last year. I got there about 2:15-2:30 and there were club members standing outside in line... maybe there are more club members than inside seats?

Back